Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-06-2006, 06:01 AM   #41
Administrator Emeritus

Joe,I recommend you go back to page 1 of this forum and read some of the posts. There's even a response from Onan,printed by IRV2 poster "Driver" that is a good read.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #42
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
#1 Battery Ground (neg) ---TO Black Wire on Current Gen. Start Switch (center post)
#2 Stop Output ---TO Brown Wire on Current Gen Start Switch (upper post)
#3 Start Output ---TO Yellow wire on Current Gen Start Switch (lower post)
#4 Run Request HVAC ground ---TO Blue wire on Thermostat (-12v)
#5 Switched B+ From Gen ---TO Red wire on Gen hour meter
#6 Gen Status Light ---TO Purple wire on Gen status light on panel (this is same as #5 since status light and hour meter are wired in series.)
#7 Power for controller ---TO Red wire on Thermostat 12v+
#8 House battery sense ---TO Black wire on back of battery condition switch on panel (lower post)
#9 Engine battery sense ---Not used because generator will not charge this battery.
#10 Run Request HVAC #1 ---TO Yellow wire on thermostat (#1 compressor on basement air)
#11 Run Request HVAC #2 not needed
#12 Run Request HVAC #3 ---Not used
#13 AC 110v present Ground ---TO Negative 6 – 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 1
#14 AC 110v present Positive---TO Positive 6 – 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 1
#15 Safety input Ground ---Connected to # 4 above (see note 2)
#16 Safety input Positive ---Connected to #7 with momentary switch in line (see note 2)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bob... Thats what I was reading..

My setup seems like I can accommodate all wires required, I am not 100% sure on the diferences..

I am not sure I see such a #5 B+ wire. BUT my genset DOES have hour meter working.. I need to check wire color...

My genset also DOES have #6 Status light...

Like I said earlier, my genset does not support that self-diagnostic capability, and I am not sure if its even needed or required when installing the command 30...
joe_dejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

just installed the ec 30 but have not hooked up the shore power ..still confused about that ...also I used the water pump switch and the gener ground for the safety ....that switch is used at least once every 30 days ...anyone have any thoughts on this...

thanks
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #44
Winnie-Wise

The shore power switch is to prevent the AGS from starting up when shore power is present. Without these connections the genset would start every time that the thermostat called for cooling. With it connected, it'll only start up if your campsite's shore power would go out and the coach was getting too warm.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

ok well just learned the water pump switch is no good for the themporary safety if the gen is running and someone flicks the switch it shuts the gen off while in auto mode

hooked up wire 4 and 10 and my gen start up even without a call for a/c (panels reads call for a/c) ive been reading about these jumper pins in the a/c can anyone help with the a/c hook up
Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #46
Winnebago Master

Peter,

Whenever the safety connection changes state,it will reset the gen to manual. My safety is from the ignition switch, if I have the gen on auto & start the coach, it will turn off.

Do you have the wire for the house battery sense installed? The Autostart has 2 functions, starting for AC demand, & starting for low house battery level.

It's been over a year since I installed mine. Call ONAN headquarters, 763-574-5000 & ask for a tech on the EC30. I talked to John, who at that time was the head trainer on the system. He was very helpful in assisting my install. Hopefully he is still there.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Dan, I just finished installing it...I had to remove wire #4 (ac neg 12 volt) and jump (connect together) wire or pin 1 and 3 (grey wires on the thermostat) DId not do it at the basement a/c becasue I read they are already jumped...looks like everyhing is running correctly. As For the safety switch I put a switch next to the EC30. I Think the ignition is not a good source for the safety and I really didnt want to run a wire all the way under the coach. I did not connect the engine battery because I read it doesnt charge it... I did connect the house battery at the back of the switch. THis project took me 8 hours and I did not hook up the shore power, felt i did not need it. Thanks for the number Ill save it..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DancinCampers:
Peter,

Whenever the safety connection changes state,it will reset the gen to manual. My safety is from the ignition switch, if I have the gen on auto & start the coach, it will turn off.

Do you have the wire for the house battery sense installed? The Autostart has 2 functions, starting for AC demand, & starting for low house battery level.

It's been over a year since I installed mine. Call ONAN headquarters, 763-574-5000 & ask for a tech on the EC30. I talked to John, who at that time was the head trainer on the system. He was very helpful in assisting my install. Hopefully he is still there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

Peter, Glad all is well. I did use the shore power connection, as the main reason I installed the EC30 was to provide cooling for our Yorkie when we are gone from the coach at a campground.

Useing the ignition switch is really a failsafe. Your setup will work safely as long as you remember to use it, or put it back into manual mode. The rational behind the safety input is so the gen will not autostart at a bad time.

I am also thinking of adding a switch so I can use is to turn it on in the heat pump mode. We've been doing a lot of dry camping up here in the Pacific NW this trip & would be nice to have that feature also.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #49
Winnebago Watcher

I feel the importance of the safety connection is understated. The primary reason is safety.

When the ignition is turned (or the brake pressed, etc.), the auto function is disengaged.

This helps prevent the EC30 from starting the generator, in a service bay for example because the autostart would have had to been purposely re-engaged after moving the coach. Might save your service tech a shock or two.

Using the simple switch is not safe.

I too installed it primarily to help in hot weather should I lose shore power.

DancinCampers: maybe you could use one of the other AC inputs for your heat pump mode. Then there would be no switch to remember.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #50
Administrator Emeritus

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Saw this on first page....thought it'd be a good repeat.</span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
ONAN typically does not participate in RV forums. This installation was brought to our attention and was asked to review this installation.

One area of concern is the bypassing of the Safety Input.

Carbon Monoxide is deadly.

The EC-30 requires a Safety Input to prevent the Genset from unexpected automatic starting after the vehicle has been parked. The Safety input may be supplied from different sources depending on the application.

The Safety Input must change state when the vehicle is parked. This prevents automatic operation if the vehicle is parked in a garage or other enclosed space. For example the vehicle ignition switch changes state from on to off when vehicle is parked.

See the Operation and Installation Manual for specific details for connecting the Safety Input.

Also, included with each EC-30 is a sheet of AGS (Automatic Genset Starting) Warning labels. These need to be installed at the location called out in the Manual. These Warning labels inform owners and service technicians that an AGS system is installed.

The EC-30 needs to be wired correctly for the best possible performance. This does vary from coach to coach and products installed at the OEM (i.e. air conditioners). By following the wire connections defined here will provide the best performance for this installation.

Onan 5.5k Marquis Gold
Installing Onan Energy Command 30 (PN – 018-02030)
Installed on 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
Using 18" Wire harness from Onan. (PN – 044-0007)
Each wire in the harness is numbered.
Reference Figure 6 for Gas/LP connections (Operation & Installation Manual)
Wire numbers are referenced to the EC-30.

Genset Wiring
#1 Battery Ground (neg) --- TO Black Wire on Current Gen. Start Switch (center post).
#2 Stop Output --- TO Brown Wire on Current Gen Start Switch (upper post).
#3 Start Output --- TO Yellow wire on Current Gen Start Switch (lower post).
#5 Switched B+ From Gen --- TO Red wire on Gen hour meter (Note 1).
#6 Gen Status Light --- This signal must be run from the Genset to the EC-30 (Note 1).

EC- 30 Power and Battery Monitoring
#7 Power for EC-30 --- TO Red wire on Thermostat 12v+
#8 House Battery Sense --- This connection needs to be made at the battery or as close to the battery as possible for the most accurate battery voltage reading. Connecting at this location will provide better system performance for low battery starting.
#9 Engine battery sense --- Optional - If you are taking the time to run the line to the House Battery, why not install a wire for the engine battery.

HVAC Connections (Coleman Mack, True Air, basement AC)
#4 Run Request HVAC ground ---Not used
#10 Run Request HVAC #1 ---TO Yellow wire on thermostat (see Coleman Mack, True Air information for proper connections)
#11 Run Request HVAC #2 --- Not used
#12 Run Request HVAC #3 ---Not used

Shore Sense
#13 AC 110v present Ground ---TO Negative 6 – 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 2)
#14 AC 110v present Positive---TO Positive 6 – 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 2)

Safety Input
#15 Safety input Ground ---Connected to ground (Note 3)
#16 Safety input Positive ---Connected to ignition switch at the dash (Note 3)

Note #1
These signals are for the Hour Meter and Status Light.
The EC-30 will not function properly if these two signals are tied together.

#5 Switched B+ From Gen ---This provides power to the Hour meter
#6 Gen Status Light ---This provides the flashing light for Genset Diagnostics (Fault Codes).

To determine if this signal is provided at the Remote Start/Stop switch, press the Stop Switch 3 times. If the light flashes, the signal is present.

If the Status Light does not flash this signal must be run from the Genset to the EC-30 control.

The EC-30 takes the flashing light and converts it to a short text message. This will give you the Fault Number and a two word description of the fault

Note #2
The Shore Sense is optional.
Shore Sense not installed: If the coach is plugged into shore, and the AGS is ON, the Genset would start upon a HVAC requested. If the AGS is set to Manual, the Genset will not start when connected to shore power.

Shore Sense is installed: If the coach is plugged into shore, and the AGS is ON, the Genset will not start upon a HVAC requested. If the AGS is set to Manual, the Genset will not start when connected to shore power.

When connecting Shore Sense a 110v to 12v power adapter will work (see installation manual for other options). Plug the adaptor in to any 110 receptacle in the coach. In the 37B there is a receptacle for the Washer Dryer inside the cabinet right below the power panel.

If your coach has an Inverter/Charger find an AC source that is not powered by the inverter/charger.

Note #3
Safety Input must be connected to a momentary power source like the ignition, reverse or parking switch of the coach. This will turn off the AGS feature when the coach is moved. The system has to see a 12v signal from time to time or it won't go into auto start mode. A good source would be when the ignition is turned on from an in dash circuit. This is to prevent accidental starts in a confined space i.e. pole barn, service center. This is for the safety on the user and for any repair center personnel.

Coleman Mack, True Air (Basement Unit)

RVP-Air Conditioners
Basement Mounted EC-30 HVAC Connections

Control...........&lt;yellow&gt; Pin #5............Air Conditioner
Note: &lt;Yellow Wire&gt; Pin #5 Connects to EC-30 pin #10 Between the Control and the Air Conditioner

RVP Thermostat
This control provides a +12VDC signal when HVAC is required.
*Tap into yellow wire for the AC singnal (PIn 5).
*Connect Pin 5 to EC-30 HVAC #1 (pin 10).

NOTE:
Wires running from Thermostat to the Basement Unit must be connected as follows.
* At the thermostat jumper pin 1 and pin 3 together.
* At the Basement Unit jumper pin 1 and pin 3 together.
* No changes to other wires.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{I regret I wasn't able to post the image in the drawing BUT if this message directly affects you, write me an e-mail and I will send you the drawing and picture of the modular plug configuration.}

I would like to thank engineering from Onan/Cummins who provided us with this wiring proceedure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #51
Administrator Emeritus

Scott N Molly, we've got to get you posting!!

Three posts in a year and all three in the genset forum....
Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

i agree with you on the safety..but i need a switch because if the kids are watching tv and the batteries get low..then I come in the camper and start the ignition and shut it off at the next stop it will kill the generator...plus when i hunt a make a lot of quick start and stops ...plus I will disconnect ec 30 every time it goes into the shop..but you are correct..
Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

I have to admit - I did not read all six pages of this post - From the ones I read - they all talk about basement A/C - what about roof units? Have Coleman units on the roof - Am really interested in this - wanted a way to auto start the genset should shorepower go away (sometimes leave the dog in the RV - he hasn't figured out how to start the genset ).
Old 09-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #54
Winnebago Watcher

Roof air depends on your thermostats. If you have regular, individual stats, you can tie into them directly.

If you have Duo-Therm thermostats you will need to buy an interface to it. Let me know if that is the case and I'll post the info.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

my backlight display on the EC 30 does not shut off as it says in the manual...anyone else having this problem?

thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #56
Winnebago Master

Thought I'd bump this thread. There's talk of buying and wiring in the new thread, this thread is good reading too...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 AM   #57
Winnebago Owner

Just an update on the safety switch... I have learned that the main purpose of it is for fueling up...Onan does not want the generantor to start during this period. So if you did make your own safety switrch keep this in mind.

Pete
Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
For those who have instaleld the EC-30, what connection for the 110v-12v conversion has everyone used used for shore power sense?

If I decide to purchase/install the EC-30 I want to be able to have it work whether the inverter is enabled or not. The only 110v source in the "house" that is shoreline-genset only is the fridge and it's hardwired.

It was time to bump the thread anyway.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

I believe most people are using a transformer like how a door bell gets it power. It senses shore power and doesnt let the genset to come on. I think under the panel in the bath sink there is an outlet or junction box. I went under the shower to get there to run another wire once. I did not hook it up because I do not set the ec 30 to auto when I am plugged in. I only use it when I dry camp. If you had pets and while you were plugged in and needed the backup gen for the ac or heat while you left or for long periods away for food I could see the reason to hook up the shore power sense wire. Just lazy....Good luck.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #60
Winnebago Owner

In trying to keep the install simple, I used the 110 source for the Engine heater switch that is in the same area. I put a socket in the line and plugged in a 12 volt transformer/charger and tied in to the EC30. Works very well. Of course this only works on a diesel. I had to do this as there is no way to snake any wires to the area without removing some major items.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote