Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Imitation Wood Peeling Off

The first problem in ten months of ownership. The fake wood finish is peeling off several places in the drop down bunk area above the drivers/passenger's seats. No signs of water damage or excessive moisture are present. I checked the rest of the coach and can't find any place else where this is happening. Sent pictures to Winnebago and need to have the dealer check it out. Oh well..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	170037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	170038  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	170039  
Old 07-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Ugh, how disappointing. Do you live in a high humidity area? We keep those buckets of "Damp Rid" in our RV when it's in storage. Hopefully that will be a warranty repair but it's still annoying.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not really in a damp climate in Lancaster County PA, our other 7 RVs never had a problem like that. The rest of the coach where that material is looks OK. Go figure
Old 07-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've had the same issue on our relatively new (only 6,000 miles) RV. Since I am the second owner, I don't have a warranty. See my post here:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ff-350235.html

It started at the top of the wardrobe in the bedroom, then all of the way across the overhead cabinet above the dash. I am seeing other spots pop up. Winnebago is using a stick-on vinyl wood grain tape. I peeled mine back and used Elmer's glue and a plastic scraper to remove the bubbles to stick it back. It's really a shame that Wiinebago used this method on the cabinets. We aren't keeping the RV in a high humidity area and utilize Dry-Z-Air to keep out winter moisture.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have same problem with 2016 Sunova 33C. We live in a dry climate so it's not caused by moisture but Winnebago uses a cheap thermo-foil on cabinet frame. This sucks!
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Just Ama

We had the same thing happen to our 2018 Aspect above the mirrored cabinet. My husband did what LakeJumper did... glued it back down with Elmers.. you can't see where he made the repair and so far it's holding just fine.. we live in the Dry Heat of Arizona, so it wasn't a moisture thing, and we noticed it as soon as we brought it home from the dealership. I agree.. using contact paper instead of real wood sucks lemons...
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi I have a 2007 Vista 30B . I am new to the R V thing and thought my OLD Vista was perhaps not as good as the New ones . Well it seems that the older ones may be built better than the new ones . My Old Vista has reel wood . It looks like It should . It’s a crazy world . Who would think that a big Company like Winnebago would cut corners on the Cabnets . That is really Nasty when you think how much the Motorhome cost. Thank you
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Just Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hi I have a 2007 Vista 30B . I am new to the R V thing and thought my OLD Vista was perhaps not as good as the New ones . Well it seems that the older ones may be built better than the new ones . My Old Vista has reel wood . It looks like It should . It’s a crazy world . Who would think that a big Company like Winnebago would cut corners on the Cabnets . That is really Nasty when you think how much the Motorhome cost. Thank you

I agree. IF they had to wrap a cabinet because it was sculptured, it might be a different story. But ours was on a flat surface that a piece of REAL wood would have been a better choice. Aside from that, we are very happy with the finish and the workmanship in our Winnebago Aspect. Once he glued this 'tear' back down, you cannot tell it was ever defective, but with what these RV's cost, this kind of thing shouldn't have to be done. (Yes, it was covered under warranty, but what they wanted to do was send another piece to replace this one and that would have taken weeks)
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Same Issues

I have a 2016 27n and am having similar problems. The first problems appeared last year when the fake wood door to the bathroom started peeling near the bottom edge.

I, too, used white wood glue to repair the damage. After placing a little glue to the surface I pushed the fake stuff back onto the door and used masking tape to hold it in place. That repair is still holding, but the door is now peeling near the top. It is currently in my garage being repaired.

I am also having issues with the wallpaper-like substance on the walls near the cockpit area and around the entry door. The paper is peeling away and/or bubbling up. I am looking at removing it and replacing it with a better quality wallpaper using a glue suitable for kitchens/baths.

I do believe that the high temps here in Nevada have contributed to the degraded products.

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
I am also having issues with the wallpaper-like substance on the walls near the cockpit area and around the entry door. The paper is peeling away and/or bubbling up. I am looking at removing it and replacing it with a better quality wallpaper using a glue suitable for kitchens/baths.
Bill--make sure you don't have any leaks in that area. Many times wallboard peeling/bubbling indicates water intrusion. Hopefully it's just crummy glue and you can fix it with new wall covering.

I'll be interested to see pics of the new wallpaper; I have wanted to make some changes to our RV but wonder how wall finishes will hold up.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
RVCalypso

We live the the Arizona desert and have learned that anything adhesive will end up lifting from the heat. Command hooks have been replaced with screw hooks. Wallpaper and cabinet fake wood vinyl lifts. It's just a maintenance issue that you have to stay on top of.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Is it possible to get replacement Wood vinyl covering to fix a peeling area?
Chuckcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckcc View Post
Chuck, there are lots of folks that can help point you in the right direction. But you have to help us. What year, model, floorplan are you asking about? What piece of fake wood do you need?

The more you tell us... including photos, the more folks here can help you. But we are lousy mind readers.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckcc View Post

I eventually called Winnebago tech support since the dealer was impossible to work with. They sent me a 25 foot roll of Seam Tape (no charge) that is the match for the existing wood. I was able to trim off the damaged edges, super glue the remaining, then apply the tape to finish it. The repair actually looks pretty good. You wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Our 2018 32YE also has peeling wood in the loft bed area. Ours has almost completely peeled off the top portion against the front cap. Since we live in Florida and the front cap had zero insulation, I assumed that the heat caused it to peel. I have now insulated between the cabinet and the front cap and have been trying to decide what to do about the peeling wood. Since it is only peeling at the top and it has almost peeled off all the way to the seam, I was thinking about just removing it and painting that area.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Our 2018 32YE also has peeling wood in the loft bed area.
If the "wood" that is peeling is still partially attached and it good shape look to see if it has glue remnants on the back or on the other surface. This stuff is applied with heat. You "may" be able to put a towel on the "wood" and using a clothes iron reapply it - of course being careful to not damage the fake wood.

Or perhaps use a hot glue gun or even a gel quick glue to put it back in place.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Blue ridge, what type/thickness of insulation did you use? I’m going to insulate our RV behind the cabinet in the cockpit area.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
Blue ridge, what type/thickness of insulation did you use? I’m going to insulate our RV behind the cabinet in the cockpit area.
I used this and stuffed it through the gap between the top of the cabinet and the face of the cabinet (inside). I followed that with foil tape to seal the gap. It has made a big difference. It took 3 rolls but if I remember correctly, the ones I used were 96 inches long.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johns-Manvi...4-ft-L/3364428
Old 10-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If the "wood" that is peeling is still partially attached and it good shape look to see if it has glue remnants on the back or on the other surface. This stuff is applied with heat. You "may" be able to put a towel on the "wood" and using a clothes iron reapply it - of course being careful to not damage the fake wood.

Or perhaps use a hot glue gun or even a gel quick glue to put it back in place.
I thought that I could reglue it as well but it was so brittle that the first time I touched it, it crumbled.