Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ideas for LED's under awning 2015 Sunstar

I have seen LED's up against the house under the awning and in the round track at the edge of the awning. Where can I get either style and what do you recommend. How do they wire up ? Thanks, Chuck
PS I don't want a LIGHT show just some soft lighting when we sit outside . Thanks
RVHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I put mine under the awning. Picked them up online from CW but I am sure there are other sites to choose from. I ran the wire into the coach through the same hole the awning power cable goes through. I was lucky because where the cable goes through there was a 120V outlet on the inside within a couple of inches. Removed the outlet, dug out some of the foam insulation and was able to pull the cable through. Sealed the hole back up with silicone. Put the outlet back and plugged the new lights into there. To me the big thing is to find the easiest source to get power and then figure out your lay out from there. I keep mine on a low level blue setting which gives enough light but is not overpowering.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mine are under the guttering wired into the existing light above the door. Bought them from Walmart online. 16.5' with remote for which ever color you prefer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442956461.078449.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	107680

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Was there continuous 12v power at the light or do you have to turn it on first. Did your lights stick OK or did you use other tape. It looks like you used plastic wire mold to route the wire, how did that work? Thanks, Chuck
RVHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHERE View Post
Was there continuous 12v power at the light or do you have to turn it on first. Did your lights stick OK or did you use other tape. It looks like you used plastic wire mold to route the wire, how did that work? Thanks, Chuck

I think your question is to me

The unit control holds the last setting and it is hooked into the existing outside light circuit so the power goes on and off with the existing switch. I used 4 conductor bell wire from radio shack to get from the led light strip to the ir controller in the existing light (this is on a roll and flat so worked well). I used EternaBond tape to cover the wires where they were exposed, about 5" in my case. I then ran the rest behind the plastic moulding that covers the seal screw strip on the slide to route up to the gutter. The led light strip stuck to the side of the coach but I was not confident they would stay so I used a small bead of clear 100% silicone to run above and below the strip. You cannot see the silicone and it is holding well. I removed the bulb from the existing light and placed the ir controller behind the lens so the remote could be used standing below and pointing at the lens of the existing light. I hooked the positive and negative to the bulb connection which put it under control of the already existing light switch. They have been installed for about 6 months and since we are full timers they are used almost nightly; work great.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

could you send a picture of how you wired them
phyllisNchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllisNchri View Post
could you send a picture of how you wired them

Here are some pictures showing the controller installed in the existing light and the flat wires run over to the moulding on the slide. This does require some soldering to hook the 4 conductor bell wire to the LEDs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443142087.473175.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	107910

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443142122.856907.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	107911

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443142145.420443.jpg