Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hybrid Adventurer in the Keys!

I'm at the Sugarloaf KOA and a HYBRID Winnebago Adventurer pulled in a few sites down.

Did not get the chance to be inquisitive today but hopefully I can get a tour tomorrow. Here is an article on the rig:

http://www.roamingtimes.com/b/articl...dventurer.aspx
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We were at that park in April, it must be getting pretty hot there now. Try to get some local directions to Geiger Key Resort and Campground, they have the best Hogfish sandwich there.

Please post some photos of the hybrid if you get a chance.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The new Hybrids are expected to cost 30% more and get 20% better MPG. A cheaper alternative for most people would be to dial the speed back to 55 MPH. The average large motorhome will see a 30% improvement in dialing back to 55 from 70 MPH on the Highway.

On a former 1998 Newmar Mountainaire, we ran a test driving from the Florida Keys to Livingston Texas and back. We drove 70 all the way there and 55 all the way back. At 70 MPH we got 7.5 MPG at 55 MPH we got 11 MPG. That's a 46% improvement on a Cummings 325 HP Turbo, taking into account wind, fuel topping and terrain, 30% is a reasonable expectation.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
The new Hybrids are expected to cost 30% more and get 20% better MPG. A cheaper alternative for most people would be to dial the speed back to 55 MPH. The average large motorhome will see a 30% improvement in dialing back to 55 from 70 MPH on the Highway.

On a former 1998 Newmar Mountainaire, we ran a test driving from the Florida Keys to Livingston Texas and back. We drove 70 all the way there and 55 all the way back. At 70 MPH we got 7.5 MPG at 55 MPH we got 11 MPG. That's a 46% improvement on a Cummings 325 HP Turbo, taking into account wind, fuel topping and terrain, 30% is a reasonable expectation.
Jim,

Great advise as you usually give in your posts. Myself, I'll pass on the hybrid MH, and slow down a bit. But, to each his own, I guess. We're thinking about a winter trip from VA Beach to the Keys. That would be our longest trip so far. In your experience, is 2 weeks long enough to enjoy a trip like that? Realizing that getting there and getting back would be half the fun. What do you think?

P.S. I see you changed your avatar. Okay...I see the new one, maybe I liked the old one better but you know, that's just one opinion.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Is two weeks in the Keys enough, including travel both ways?

It depends on what you want to do. If you are just seeing the sites, yes. If you want to fish, dive and/or snorkel probably not. Then again if you spend more than 2 weeks, you will not want to leave.

My Avatar will change on demand, just ask.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Nah just kidding about the avatar. The new one is different, for sure.

I have 2 weeks that I need to take before the end of March, and we are looking to take them both at the same time, preferably to someplace warm in the middle of Winter. With my wife being from another country, (she's totally leagal, lots of paperwork and $$$) I like her being able to see her new country. I'm just trying to decide if a shorter trip would be better. I got my open water certification in '93 in the Keys, and I loved it there. I've only been able to get back there one time since then. So I would for sure want to do some diving, but with our son being so young we don't have to worry about Disney World or anything like that just yet. Other than that, just sightseeing and the junk shops, of course.

Thanks for the advise...one thing for sure, this will be a moot point if I don't get back to work!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Getting back on topic...

The dang Hybrid left this morning before I had a chance to be nosey and get a picture. The one below is from a website. Heavy 'green' accent painting and some more FRED stickers on the actual coach.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Getting back on topic...
Yes I did realize after I made my last post that it could be construed as "highjacking" the thread, and I did not intend to do that, and I do apologize.