Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

How to turn off water to Journey heater core

I've read several threads about leaks in the heater cores of the Winnie/Itasca DPs. Luckily, I've owned my Journey since new (8 years) and never had that problem.

The few times we've needed the heat up front, we've found it very ineffective. In the interest of beating the problem to the punch, for once, I'd like to just shut off the water to the front heater and use the genny and heat pumps when we need heat.

I've noticed a couple of valves on water lines near the engine compartment. Are those the lines going to the front heater? Can I just shut off those valves and be done or do I need to disconnect the water lines somewhere and rig a bypass? If those valves do the job, is there any need to then drain the lines or otherwise relieve the pressure in them? I realize they won't freeze, but someone mentioned the weight of the lines putting stress on the core.

I guess another session of crawling around under the beast would probably answer my question, but I'm feeling lazy today. And I for sure don't want to get into removal of that front cap...

Thanks for any help...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When at Gaffney, they told me that there are two valves (red?) one on each side of engine. Turning off will stop fluid to heater core, and , unfortunatly, to the hot water heater also.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That would be the water flow with the Motor Aide lines that heat the water in the HWH tank as the engine is run and you drive.

Shutting the valves will in no way inhibit the function of the HWH running on propane or electric if that option is installed.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the responses! Sure don't want to lose the motor-aid water heater function.

I just realized the easiest solution is to keep the temp control on the dash on full cold and nothing flows to the core.

Maybe that's why I've never had the problem. That temp control has only been off cold maybe 3 times in 8 years.

Thanks again...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Glad to help. But I was hoping you would look for the valves and let us know where they were. Gaffney shut mine off and I need to open them before heading south. BTW they turned them off because I thought the dash air was not up to par. According to them, the Winny vacuum hot water diverter valve in the heater is often faulty and allows heat to be mixed with the AC air. Havn't been able to prove that. Will wait until get to FL. We'll see.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When my first heater core started leaking I stopped at a parts store and bought a heater hose repair kit which is a short 5/8 diameter plastic tube. I disconnected the hoses that go into the heater core and connected them together so the coolant circulates bypassing the core. It came in handy again as the second core went also. So far the third core is holding up. I have also installed a shut off valves in case the hoses spring a leak.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here are pics of the heater/motor-aid shutoff valves on my 2005 Vectra with a CAT C7 (sorry they're a little fuzzy):

Both are underneath on the left rear under/beside the engine.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate the photos, thanks. BTW the hoses don't look insulated. Has anyone tried the put copper pipe insulation along the route? Seems in cold weather a lot of heat lost going to the front of cab. A lot of posts about dash heater being less than desired.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
When my first heater core started leaking I stopped at a parts store and bought a heater hose repair kit which is a short 5/8 diameter plastic tube. I disconnected the hoses that go into the heater core and connected them together so the coolant circulates bypassing the core. It came in handy again as the second core went also. So far the third core is holding up. I have also installed a shut off valves in case the hoses spring a leak.
I carry the plastic connector as well. Haven't needed it yet but ya never know.
Richard

Tags
heater, journey, water