Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I attempted to replace the daytime running bulb in my 04 Merdian, but cannot see nor reach the drivers side bulb from the rear. Is it possible to remove the entire lens assembly to do this much easier? I tried, but could only get at two phillips head screws on top of the lens assembly and something else was still holding the lens in. Help!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I attempted to replace the daytime running bulb in my 04 Merdian, but cannot see nor reach the drivers side bulb from the rear. Is it possible to remove the entire lens assembly to do this much easier? I tried, but could only get at two phillips head screws on top of the lens assembly and something else was still holding the lens in. Help!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Catpowered: I just looked at mine, looks like there are 2 forward facing bracket nuts on the headlight assembly you may loosen or remove to make the bulb easier to remove from the backside.

Looking forward to more info when you get it done.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I fought this battle with my 05 Journey. The clips on the light do not help remove the fixture. I took my coach to a Winnie dealer and they could not replace after workin an hour, said it would take more time then they had at the time. Did not charge me because still in warranty. The light/lens assembly backs up to a frame member and reaching the bulb carrier is a blind reach and very tough. After you replace the bulb in the carrier, getting it inserted back in is very,very difficult. I pried the light/lens piece out from the frame with a thin piece of plywood and inserted a wedge to keep and the little space I gained was enough to finally get it back. Pay attention to the orientation when you remover the carrier to help guide installation. Note the light/lens assembly is quite expensive (I priced it when I thought I might break it. I remember it was over $180)
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

What are you calling "daytime running bulb"? Your headlights, parking lights...............? I don't know of any such thing on mine.

2004 Meridian 34H
Fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Fstop, the daytime running lights are also your low beam headlights. They are only on when the engine is on and transmission is in drive.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #7

Oh jeez. When DH read this, he was very distraught and almost in tears because we were just talking about having to change a headlight bulb someday.

This news is very disconcerting.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I just learned something ... namely, that the low beams come on when the transmission is in drive ... I didn't think I had running lights ... (I have never been outside of my rig when it was in drive, I guess)

I tried to change a high beam light last year but was unable to get my 70 year old body in position to do it ... I went to shop where there was a 20 something slender and agile young man who slithered up "inside" of my coach and proceded to turn the bulb holder a quarter of turn and then remove the bulb and the holder from the rear ... he did this in about 2 minutes ... no bolts, no screws, no prying, no tools... he went into his shop and reappeared with a new bulb ... slithered back up inside ... inserted and twisted ... presto ... that high beam worked again ...

I would assume that the low beam works the same way but uses a different bulb ...

I was out of there in 15 minutes ... they charged me $20 for the installed bulb ... I was glad I found this agile slender young man ...

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
I just learned something ... namely, that the low beams come on when the transmission is in drive ... I didn't think I had running lights ... (I have never been outside of my rig when it was in drive, I guess)

I tried to change a high beam light last year but was unable to get my 70 year old body in position to do it ... I went to shop where there was a 20 something slender and agile young man who slithered up "inside" of my coach and proceded to turn the bulb holder a quarter of turn and then remove the bulb and the holder from the rear ... he did this in about 2 minutes ... no bolts, no screws, no prying, no tools... he went into his shop and reappeared with a new bulb ... slithered back up inside ... inserted and twisted ... presto ... that high beam worked again ...

I would assume that the low beam works the same way but uses a different bulb ...

I was out of there in 15 minutes ... they charged me $20 for the installed bulb ... I was glad I found this agile slender young man ...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Skigramp, can you tell us where "inside" he accessed the bulb from? Inside the coach? What side did you have changed? ...the driver's side?

Or by "inside" do you mean inside the generator access area? Or underneath the front end of the coach?

The reason I ask is that I'm pretty agile and slender (for a boomer ) and could probably follow DH's directions on how to change the bulb if I knew where to crawl to change the it.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'm pretty long, lean, and agile, and couldn't get the lamp I was after loose. I suspect that once it's off and probably lubed it might not be too bad but there is no doubt it is a major PITA to reach no matter who you are.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Amanda ...

It was the left high beam.

The young man sat his keester on the ground facing forward in front of the coach ... then he leaned back and ducked his head under the front of the coach and then slithered his keester back and his upper body upward ... I think his head was going up in the space that is ahead of the front wheel well (my coach is not here so I can't go out and look for you)

The light bulbs are in a "plastic" holder ... I think you turn the holder 1/4 of a turn ... then the bulb and holder come out of the headlight assembly ... after you get the holder out then pull the bulb straight out to get it out of the holder ...

We have an 04 39W Journey ...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #12

Thanks, skigramp, for the very descriptive explanation!

I'll take a look when I get the chance to see if I can squeeze this dilapidated body of mine into that space.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

If changing these bulbs are such a PITA, has anyone looked into putting a switch in line somewhere to turn off the low beams to save the bulbs. I know they are on for safety but if someone can't see one of these big units coming the lights being on probably wouldn't help that much. Then after dark they could be turned back on when you turn all the other outside lights on. Just a thought.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know the origin of the headlamp assembly used on this coach?
Thanks

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I sent shuffster a PM so the thread doesn't get hi-jacked