Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone,

We just came back from a short visit....shouldn't say this here, looking at the Damon Tuscany (nice rig, some good ideas but finish and rep concern me (would rather a Tour) - I digress. My problem is that the 110v water heater button no longer lights up on the control panel. It used to be on all the time as we are plugged in however after this little trip, it's out. We are planning to leave it in the 'on' position and leave the LP water heater switch off to determine whether it's just a bulb issue or whether we have more serious problems. Anyone run into a similar situation?

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone,

We just came back from a short visit....shouldn't say this here, looking at the Damon Tuscany (nice rig, some good ideas but finish and rep concern me (would rather a Tour) - I digress. My problem is that the 110v water heater button no longer lights up on the control panel. It used to be on all the time as we are plugged in however after this little trip, it's out. We are planning to leave it in the 'on' position and leave the LP water heater switch off to determine whether it's just a bulb issue or whether we have more serious problems. Anyone run into a similar situation?

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You could resolve the bulb issue by (if on 50A shore pwr), dogbone down to 30A, and watch the OnePlace Ammeter. When you turn On the wtr htr switch, the amps will jump up (if wtr htr is cooled off). In that case, it's the bulb; replace the switch.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The led burns out but the switch is still good. . You have to get a new switch & bezel(?) because you will break it getting it apart. You have to take the control panel off to get at it. The light is just a indicator that the switch is on. Just 12 volts goes through the switch, not 110 volts. I jury rigged a led switch from Walmart until I got the parts.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

On my 03 Adventurer, I don't have the luxury of having an indicator lamp. If the switch toggle is up then the heater is on.

I was thinking about getting a lighted single pole toggle switch at some point just to try it out. I'm thinking that the toggle switch will be lit if the circuit is open. When the heater is on the light in the switch should be off.

That's why I'm still thinking about it. Now on the other hand I could get a single pole switch with a seperate red bezel that is similiar in construction to a duplex receptacle. The device should fit in the enclosure plus I can wire the switch to glow when the circuit is eneergized. Install the brown duplex plate back on the device and it'll look totally OEM.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The incandescent bulbs in the switches seem to burn out a lot. The one in the water heater switch and the one in the water pump switch in the service bay burned out on mine. The replacement water heater switch bulb burned out again after about a year.

I suspect the bulbs are intended for 12 volt use and the 13.6 volts from the converter probably reduces the life a lot.

Of course even though the switches are name brand switches that used to be good quality, nowadays could be made in China or somewhere like that.

I took the water pump switch apart removed the bulb and installed an LED and resistor in it, so it should be good for years now.

I got lazy and decided not to put an LED in the water heater switch - it's pretty challenging getting the switch apart and adding the new parts.
I installed a panel mount LED with a built in resistor in the panel next to the switch instead.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Same thing happened to me. I removed the top and bottom screws to the panel, gently pulled to reach in the back and found one of the flag connectors disconected to the switch. Plugged it back in and all was well again.

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote