Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

DW wants a fireplace.

We saw a Vectra at the Tampa RV show with one. My thinking is that it would be less of a financial drain on the economy to find one and install it rather than replace the coach.

So - if anyone can give me an idea who the manufacturer (make and model) would be on yours in a 40AD - it would give me ammunition to (try) talking her out of this.

I appreciate your input as always.

Happy Miles!

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

DW wants a fireplace.

We saw a Vectra at the Tampa RV show with one. My thinking is that it would be less of a financial drain on the economy to find one and install it rather than replace the coach.

So - if anyone can give me an idea who the manufacturer (make and model) would be on yours in a 40AD - it would give me ammunition to (try) talking her out of this.

I appreciate your input as always.

Happy Miles!

New Port Richey, FL
Old 05-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If the supplier links are current at the Winne website, it'd be made by:

Hearth & Home www.hearthnhome.com

Couldn't tell you what model though...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My friend Cliff Zimmerman has a 2004 Horizon 40AD and he had one of the electric fireplaces installed a few months ago. Mayne you can PM Cliff (I don't remember his forum name though, but you can do a search) and ask for details.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John - I will try to search himout.

I went to Hearthnhome website but didnt find anything promising thus far. I may email them and see if they can steer me in the right direction.

New Port Richey, FL
Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Parts diagrams aren't much help. They do say it is a 26" model though.

Could it be a "CRESTFIRE CF260E"? Found that at the Heat N Glo section of the Hearth and Home website, or a "SILHOUETTE 30" by Heatilator?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

They also make an electric fireplace that is a mini "vermont casting" style. Looks like iron but is made of wood and has a great flame look that throws good heat. In our vectra we pull out the euro chair when camping and put it right in the corner. No need to worry about carpet or heat shields because it needs none. It is a free standing unit that fits nicely in the outside storage when traveling.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the tip Jim - although we are seeking something that can be permanently installed.

I checked the CRESTFIRE CF260E and SILHOUETTE 30 dimensions, and am afraid neither would fit in our cabinet below the TV on our 40AD.

And the search goes on......

New Port Richey, FL
Old 05-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

How about a trip to Home Depot, Lowes or a local fireplace shop? A friend of ours purchased one at Home Depot (I think) and has it sitting under the mirror by the dinette when the slide is out. Moves it elsewhere when the slide is in. She says it gives good heat. I haven't seen it so can't comment on look or heat.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How about a trip to Home Depot, Lowes or a local fireplace shop? A friend of ours purchased one at Home Depot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been through this already. Imagine trying to buy a Fireplace in Florida when the outside temperatures are in the mid 80's. First they looked at us like we were nuts, second they told us at both places that "Fireplaces are seasonal - you will have to wait until around Christmas"

A few companies I have emailed on the Internet have all advised the same replies; they dont manufacture units with the cabinet dimensions I have in our Horizon.

And the search goes on......

New Port Richey, FL
Old 05-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Give Lichtsinn motors a call. www.lichtsinn.com They will price you the original and till Friday they have a 10 percent discount. Very good place to deal with. I get all my parts there.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Sam: I sent you the pics of the installation so feel free to pass the information along to this site if you like. I'm computer challenged, otherwise I would post the pictures.
I searched high and low for a unit that would fit the exact opening, none exist. You must do the rework.
Best regards....
Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Cliff-
Many thousand thanks for the pictures and the description. It looks likei t came out beautiful!!

Yes, I have been through contact with every company that makes the fireplaces - to no avail. I even called Lichtsinn (sp?) Motors, and they tell me it cant be done in a stock 40AD.

After seeing your pictures and adding up the dollars - theres a LOT I could do with $3k+, and I think since I am like you - woodworking impaired, I can not morally or financially justify going through the process.

Again - MANY MANY thanks for your input and pictures - this forum has been a Gem as far as I am concerned. I will take the liberty of positing your pictures of the cabinet and fireplace - I will leave the face pictures out.

VERY best regards,

Sam Davis
Tampa

New Port Richey, FL