Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

On our month-long trip last October from Florida to western Virginia, I found that in the mountains on turns (IH77) we couldn't comfortably maintain the recommended speed for trucks (the posted speed on a yellow sign.) The coach leaned and just didn't 'feel' right to me; if the recommended truck speed was 55, we would need to go about 50 to feel like we were in control.

When we took the Dick Reed driving school recently, the instructor commented while we were on IH75 (straight and level) that I needed to slow down a little (I usually drive about 65 on Interstates); he said the coach just felt more stable or predictable at about 60 or 62 (my words - I forgot his exact comment.)

We have had a four-wheel alignment and we run the appropriate tire pressure based on coach weight. We will soon be getting a four corner weight, so that will be interesting.

I'm curious about handling comments from those with the Evolution IFS chassis (2004+ Horizon/Vectra.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

On our month-long trip last October from Florida to western Virginia, I found that in the mountains on turns (IH77) we couldn't comfortably maintain the recommended speed for trucks (the posted speed on a yellow sign.) The coach leaned and just didn't 'feel' right to me; if the recommended truck speed was 55, we would need to go about 50 to feel like we were in control.

When we took the Dick Reed driving school recently, the instructor commented while we were on IH75 (straight and level) that I needed to slow down a little (I usually drive about 65 on Interstates); he said the coach just felt more stable or predictable at about 60 or 62 (my words - I forgot his exact comment.)

We have had a four-wheel alignment and we run the appropriate tire pressure based on coach weight. We will soon be getting a four corner weight, so that will be interesting.

I'm curious about handling comments from those with the Evolution IFS chassis (2004+ Horizon/Vectra.)

Old 02-22-2006, 04:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

John:
I just commented on the IFS chassis on the TOUR post question. I have it on my 2005 Vectra 36RD and love it. I find it very stable when driving between 62 and 65. I also find my gas mileage improves at those speeds because I am over my torque curve. At 55 to 60 I was averaging 6.6 to 6.8 miles per gallon pulling the toad. At 62 I am at 7.2 to 7.4 now. I only have 15,800 miles on the engine now and told that when it breaks in (around 25 to 30,000) the mileage should go up.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You may not have been shifting into 6th gear at 55-60 mph.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

John,

I find that driving 65 mph on the interstate is most comfortable for me pulling a Honda CRV. In the Colorado mountains I find if I slow to the posted speed on curves it is very manageable. I have often thought that the road engineers set the speeds based on large trucks and that seems to work good for motor homes as well.

If it is narrow that is another matter. I may slow well below the speed limit on a narrow lane.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John,
This will be some of my last posts since we ordered a new CC Magna 45ft, and traded in our 40AD. I noyicied a similar problem when our Coach was new. I was troubled by the way it leaned in left hand turns at freeway speeds. I went to Freightliner in Gaffney and had the Airbag control valves positions changed. Original has 2 valves on the rear axle and 2 for both front airbags. We now have 2 on the front and 1 on the back axle. Lot more stable in turns.
Hogbreth
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I meant 2 on rear axle and 1 on both front airbags. Changed to 1 on rear axle and 2 on front.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Stick around Mr. Hogbreath,, we enjoy your input and Congratulations on the CC. Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

On the flat and wide open roads we will usually run at about 70mph if we are trying to make time. It handles very well at that speed with no unpredictable swaying or fatigue. If we are not in a hurry we will run about 60-62mph. One good thing is we get better milage at the slower speed. 7.5-9mpg depending on wind direction of course!

Curves are taken at the posted speed on the yellow signs. We find the coach handles quite well at that speed.

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies fellows - I appreciate it very much.

Hogbreth - sorry to see you leave the Winnie family but you sure are doing it in style

Old 02-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>John,
Werners comment about the speed suprises me. We have only had our coach for 5 months and are considering a DP w/IFS so we can get above 60 - 62 and not be all over the road. Now I am concerned that we will be wasting $100K. I did drive a unit on I-75 North of Tampa @ 70 MPH, one handed with a 18 wheeler passing!

03 Jeep Liberty
Charles_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Charles - the coach does drive quite nicely and predictably. I thought it was doing well and was a little surprised at Werner's comment about slowing down a little. I've had the coach up to about 75 or 78 for passing situations and I didn't think there was a handling problem.

Next week we hope to get four corner wheel weights so I can fine-tune tire pressure and I might need to move things in the basement around to get the weight balanced.

Another comment by Werner really pleased me; he said the coach was very quiet and he was impressed, so impressed he made a point of mentioning it to his wife. He said some of the ones he has been into were very noisy.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

On our 5 week/11,000 mile innaugural trip around the country last summer I found that our Vectra handled beautifully. I try to keep it no more than 5mph over the posted limits, with a hard upper limit of 75mph (because that's what the tires are rated for).

The yellow limit signs seemed to provide a comfortable speed for sharp turns and off-ramps.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

John,

We are coming down for the Winni Rally in Orlando in 2 weeks. I was told that we can get our 4 corners weighted at the Rally.

03 Jeep Liberty
Charles_c is offline   Reply With Quote