Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Holding water tanks. Heated or not

I have a vista 29ve and just wondering if the holding tanks are heated or not. It does say heated holding tanks are included but I can't see a switch to turn them on and off any where. Thanks
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't think they are actually heated but there is probably heat from the furnace in the area. My Vista 26he has one heat duct from the furnace going into the area of the water tank and holding tanks. Therefore it only works when the furnace is running.
Terry in Kalamazoo
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The holding tanks are below the floor in the enclosed basement area of the 29VE. The propane furnace has a small duct outlet that blows warm air into the basement when the furnace is running. The return air side of the furnace is open to the basement.

So, the holding tanks are heated, but ONLY if you heat the entire RV with the propane furnace. If you heat another way like portable 120 volt electric space heaters in the living area, then you should also put a small 120 volt electric heat source, such as a trouble light, with an old style 75 or 100 watt bulb, in the basement, plugged into the basement 120 volt outlet. You can get a 120 volt anti-freeze thermostat at a farm supply store that will turn on at about 36-38 degrees and off above that to automate this.

The fresh water tank and fresh water lines in the basement could also freeze if you don't have the hot water heater on and the heat source from furnace or other in the basement.

All this said, the basement and the rest of a Vista is NOT well insulated and you will have major problems using it in cold weather, but keeping warm and things from freezing is very do-able at least down to about 20 degrees F.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #4

Powercat is more “liberal” with his Vista than I am with my TT! If a sustained 30F is forecast I’m draining everything and adding anti-freeze. The expense of fixing frozen stuff is high.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, tank, water