Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Heater Core Leak on 1997 Winn. Vectra

Hello, all Winnebago owners and "fixit" people,

Our latest issue with our 1997 Winnebago Vectra (36ft) Ford 460, V8, fuel injected coach is the heater core is leaking! We had a heater core installed in 2008 (at 49,270 miles) (current mileage-50,448), and have taken 2 trips last year and none this year, so far.

My husband wants to "bypass" the heater core, and wonders if there is a heater core bypass valve in the system or will he have to disconnect hoses and install a couplar? We were thinking this might be cheaper than going in for another heater core, since we do not travel in areas, where we really need the dashboard heater. (The coach heater works just fine, when we are camped!)

Any comments are welcome on this and if any advice or "HOW" this can be done, would appreciate a reply. My husband is mechanically inclined, so once he knows "how" it can be done, he should have no problem, if it does not include removing a lot of parts to get to it, or too big of a job!! We do have a good RV Repair center, here in our area that has done most of our work before, but just trying to save a few bucks, if we can, and if this will work and not cause additional problems.

THANKS!! Sharon/Karl
kasha 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sharon & Karl;

My previous coach was a 97 Adventure. While the 2 coaches may be different I suspect you will have to disconnect the heater hoses and put a coupler in between the ends. Let us know how it works out for you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
RKL
Winnebago Owner

you can take off bothof the hoses at the heater core (or cut them) and connect them together with a plastic radiator hose connector tube and 2 hose clamps...easy fix if you are sure the heater core is leaking.....Don't understand why the last fix didn't last more than a few thousand miles...RKL
Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Heater Core Leak-fix

Thanks to all who replied to this post, of our leaking heater core; We'll try the suggestions, as well as going back to repair center, to see if there is any warranty on their work --- like with most things it might be 1 year, (been over a year), but you never can tell these days....looking into that today!

Will let you know how this turns out....maybe we can get this fixed, so we can take a trip!! Sometimes it gets so you don't want to "go out" in it, as you're wondering "What next"? ha....
Sharon/Karl
kasha 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have just "by passed" the heater core by using 1/2 inch copper tubing and 90 degree ells (2). I assemblied the pieces to make a "U" shape and used the existing clamps to install the "by pass." I made the legs on the "by pass" long enough to insert into the heater hose a couple of inches.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've also experienced a second failed heater core....first one failed in 2006, and the most recent failed 3 weeks ago. I bypassed it with a 1/2" plastic connector and clamps.

At this point, we may just try doing without the heater core for a while. The LP furnace keeps us warm enough while traveling. I do wonder if I would miss it if I need to defrost the windshield.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasha 10 View Post
Thanks to all who replied to this post, of our leaking heater core; We'll try the suggestions, as well as going back to repair center, to see if there is any warranty on their work --- like with most things it might be 1 year, (been over a year), but you never can tell these days....looking into that today!

Will let you know how this turns out....maybe we can get this fixed, so we can take a trip!! Sometimes it gets so you don't want to "go out" in it, as you're wondering "What next"? ha....
Sharon/Karl
I know what you mean by "What's next". I have a 2004 DP with almost 50,000 miles on it and I'm always surprised by the number and type of things that happen during or after each trip that have to be fixed while on the road or at home. So far haven't been left stranded any place but getting harder and harder to drive with my fingers crossed.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote