Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HDMI Extender ethernet cable question

Hi Folks,
I have a used 2014 Itasca Sunstar 30T with an after-market install of a DirectTV Sat System done by Camping World. I am now searching for alternatives for running cable to run a WiFiRanger GoAC router, preferably into the slide cabinets above the buffet dinette.

I looked all through the overhead cab compartment and found (among other things) an HDMI extender (sender unit) with two YELLOW cat-5 ethernet cables, only one of them in use. I also found a receiver unit below the buffet TV, but those two ethernet cables (only one in use) are BLUE!

Is it possible they used two different lengths of ethernet with a coupler somewhere along the path? Or am I missing another extender somewhere?

IF these are the same run, I could leave the router in the overhead cab and use the second ethernet cable to connect an ethernet switch placed at the buffet. IF NOT, I'm facing a more difficult wiring challenge.

Thoughts?

TIA,
Jim
Japple55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Color does not matter in ethernet cables. I've seen them in just about any color.

If the ethernet cable is unused (i.e. both ends are not plugged into anything) go ahead and use it. However, I'd just setup a wireless network and be done with it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

True, color doesn't matter but every ethernet cable I've seen was all one color. My point is that this could be two different cables, since one end is blue and the other is yellow, and I find that very odd.

I have no experience with HDMI extenders, but I assumed it was connecting the satellite receiver's HDMI outputs to the HDMI inputs on the buffet TV. I can't find any evidence of an extender near the bedroom TV, so I would think there was only one. But could there be another extender that I haven't found? If not, they MUST have used two different lengths of cable on the one extender for there to be two different colors for the same connection.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Site Team

On my Adventurer I have a 4x4 HDMI Matrix for 4-inputs and 4-outputs. It sits in the front overhead cabinet and has HDMI Inputs for SAT REC 1, SAT REC 2, Blueray Player and Aux. The 4-outputs for my 3 TVs onboard and and extra "AUX" output device. So likewise I assume your's is similar but perhaps with fewer inputs and outputs? I don't know.

On my coarch, the HDMI Matrix has color coded Ethernet cables to help differentiate between different outputs (TVs).

On my coach it takes two Ethernet cables for each run from the HDMI Matrix to the receiver installed near each TV. But also on my coach, WBGO runs a total of 3-Ethernet cables to the receivers, with one unused. On my unit they put color coded bands of tape on each cable end so you know which one is which.

What I don't understand is why yours would be blue at the receiver and yellow at the Matrix. I find it difficult to think they used two different cables of different colors and then joined them at a junction box somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure your set up is different, I don't doubt that on different RVs we have totally different layouts and equipment - but the logic seems like it would be similar and so, this is a VERY LONG way to say that based on what's happening on my WBGO, it's very possible you do have an unused Ethernet cable running between the cabinet with the HDMI Matrix and your TV locations.

After all that, my question is why do you want an ethernet cable from your TV to your WFR GoAC? For a hardwired Roku or such device? My GoAC is mounted in the same cabinet as the HDMI Matrix. I put my Roku in that cabinet too and then hardwire it via Ethernet to the GoAC. I plug the Roku's HDMI output to the SAT 1 input on the matrix. That way I can direct it's content to any of my TVs from the Matrix.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What I don't understand is why yours would be blue at the receiver and yellow at the Matrix. I find it difficult to think they used two different cables of different colors and then joined them at a junction box somewhere in the middle.
My thoughts exactly! I just looked again, and the blue ethernet cable at the receiver end of the HDMI extender is marked with one band of brown tape, and a white label stating "50 Ft." The Yellow cable at the transmitter end is also marked with one band of brown tape. I would have thought that 50 ft would have been plenty to make that run, but given what I can see, I can only conclude that they are the same run and coupled together somewhere along the way. Tomorrow I'll hook up the router to the sender spare, and my laptop to receiver spare to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
all that, my question is why do you want an ethernet cable from your TV to your WFR GoAC? For a hardwired Roku or such device? My GoAC is mounted in the same cabinet as the HDMI Matrix. I put my Roku in that cabinet too and then hardwire it via Ethernet to the GoAC. I plug the Roku's HDMI output to the SAT 1 input on the matrix. That way I can direct it's content to any of my TVs from the Matrix.
I don't really have a matrix. Just the HDMI extender box to the buffet TV. There is also a one-in/three out coax splitter up there, which I assume runs from the digital TV antenna to the two TVs, but I have no idea where the third "out" cable goes.

I don't really want to connect the TV to the GoAC. The plan would be to bring the cell booster antenna cable and the Elite AC wifi antenna cable into the overhead cab compartment, as holes already exist there. I can place the GoAC router there, and then use the extra (if it is) ethernet cable to connect a multiport ethernet switch with POE) near the buffet. That is where I would be using my work VOIP phone (poe), laptop, Synology server, and any other hardwire connections. Of course, I could also wire the Roku to that switch. We probably won't use the bedroom TV much so I'm not too concerned with distributing the Roku signal there.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams and parts list for your coach. The wiring diagrams are usually pretty complete. And alternatively, sometimes you have to look at the parts list to see each component in it's place and how it's used.

The wiring diagrams are PDFs. But the parts list in in a special 2D/3D file that needs a helper app installed on a Windows computer with MS IE. And, that's the only way the parts list drawings will display. I'm a Mac guy, but luckily I need Windows for a few special applications and when I need to see parts I can boot a VM into Win 10.1 and view the parts list.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

creativepart,
Thanks for the ideas. Actually, I did look at the diagrams. I'm really impressed with how WBGO puts all that stuff up there for us to see. The diagrams show the extenders and the ethernet cable between the TV and the overhead cab, so I guess there is only one run. The color difference just baffles me.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mystery solved! Tested the blue/yellow cable run today; it is definitely the same run. Odd that they used two separate cables, but at least I don't have to run the cable myself.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I'm sorry, I don't get it. Is there a couple somewhere that changed the color? Or are there two separate cables?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I've never seen a multicolored cable before, so I have to assume the run is two separate cables joined by a coupler. I have no idea why they didn't use one longer cable.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Got it. Thanks.

BTW, I got a cheap cat 5 tester from Amazon that helped me trace some lines. It puts a signal on the line, and a receiver at the other end, so one can figure things out.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

That would be handy tool, could have used one of those years ago. But I think my days of stringing ethernet through the attic are over. In this case, the router and laptop did the job.