Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
While I don't need a CPAP machine, I'm too old to leave the heater off! lol
It is the heater in the CPAP, not the heater in the RV.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I enlarged my slide out tray on my 02, 32T Journey. In order to fit 4 each 6 Volt, Golf cart batteries I had to add approximately 1" to the width.

First thing I did is to investigate what size is required for the 4 GC batteries. Checked the sides and top. Measure, measure and measure again. My tray required an additional 1" in the width.

I split the tray in the middle. Cut a scrap piece of plywood to the inside dimensions and bolted the tray together with 1/4 X 3/4 X correct length flat stock. I had to elongate the 8 square bolt holes that secure the tray to the chassis to accommodate the additional width. Caution: their was just enough material on the bolt down ledge for the carriage bolts to secure the tray to the coach.

If you want to alter your tray don't hesitate to PM me if you have any further questions.
I would like to do this. I just tried to PM Charles, but it will not let me. Anybody else do this? I originally had 3 12 volt batteries for the house system, but they were not true deep cycle batteries and two went bad on me. I replaced the three with two interstate golf cart batteries from Costco. I lost about 100 amp hours and would like to find room to add two more 6 volt batteries. I have thought about relocating my Chassis batteries, but would prefer to modify the battery tray to accommodate 4 golf cart batteries. I think if I remove the tray there is room for 4. Anybody see any problems doing that?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #23

Interesting and informative discussion.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Hi, I just ran across this thread where I apparently promised to post a bunch of pictures? This was the first weeks home after two months in the hospital, 3 of those in a coma, bla bla.. I warned everyone at the office if I ask about things that were already fully worked out by me, be nice, I really didn’t remember and this might be one of them..

The coach is here for the next few days so i can shoot whatever youall’ wanted to look at.. Sorry..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr View Post
Resurrecting the dead...for those that have switched to 4 6V, any concerns about the weight capacity rating of the Qwikee battery tray?
I did, and spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Winnebago engineering, then Kiwkee about this. That system was designed for Winne and it took awhile to dredge up the original structurals on it. The comments at the time (probably mid-late 2007) were its design was rated at 100% over recommended load of GP29’s @ 61lb*3= 183lb., and they commented at the time that no one had ever asked that question (amazing)...
I’m currently carrying about 288lbs on the tray, but I still brace it with a wide steel roller on a telescopic pole used to support long lumber through a saw. Cantilevering that kind of weight over my feet scares the hell out of them..

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I do but was looking for the T-145's as well. Looks like all I have are the U2200's that I installed after the 1st trip to Quartzsite and killed my OEM 12v batteries on a 17 degree night. Since then the install has gotten MUCH prettier.

Yes, that's the area I used under the bed. When the pix are added you will also see that I lined the entire area with auto firewall insulation to keep the paneling from turning into a soundboard. I also have a auto surge suppressor in that area with a slightly noisy contractor, and it also further isolates the fan noise from the Magnum when the fan starts ramping up.

I'll add the pics as soon as Santa is done doing his thing
SCVJeff,
I was most interested in the area under the bed where you mounted the inverter and other hardware.

I recently bought a 2006 Journey and will be moving my 2000 watt Magnum inverter, solar controller, a pair of 325watt solar panels and 400AH of lithium batteries to the Journey. Won't happen until September though. I may be adding a 3rd panel and another 200AH of lithium as well.

So when you the time and energy to snap some pics that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

My original post shared the fact that I modified the battery tray to accommodate four 6V golf cart type batteries. Since then I've noticed my drive tires were wearing out twice as fast as my steers. Not necessarily because of the extra weight of the batteries but the fact that we stored alot of personal items aft of the real axle. I had the coach weighed and confirmed the weight was within axle specifications however the drive axle almost at max all the steers were well below max rated capacity. The coach did not handle well. My solution was to limit personal items from behind the rear axle and to move the four 6 volt batteries to the front of the coach between the generator and front end cap. I also removed the inverter/charger from under the bed and replaced it with a separate inverter, charger and transfer switch and located them in the compartment under the driver's position. It has always concerned me sleeping over the inverter/charger since the last one created a lot of smoke and awful smell when it failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180605_100204.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	169734   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180605_100101.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	169735  

bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #28

“since the last one created a lot of smoke and awful smell when it failed.”

And all this stuff certainly eventually fails.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Heres a few pix from today. The main 12v distribution is located under the bed behind that luan panel at the foot. You have to be careful about placement becayse this is an access space to get to the slide ram. I lined the inside with foil faced engine firewall material from JC Whitney. The Magnum BMK and shunt are located in here as well. The only cable going to the batteries is the 4/0. All the other stuff: battery sense, feeds to the coach, inverter, solar, etc., are here and off the batteries.
The red cutoff switch is easy to get to at the foot of the bed is a full battery cutoff that can be gotten to quickly. I did that after watching one of those crummy Xantrax 2000’s catch fire in a friends Journey.

The shot of the battery compartment shows where I trimmed the steel plate back to allow the T-145’s to clear. This is not structural so i can take it back as far as needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	379DC3C7-1075-4E2F-B1F4-B337D5DD38EA.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	169736   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBA798FC-444E-4468-BB16-FD83A3989F4C.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	169737  

Name:	E9722655-9F73-409F-AC9A-91852E43717B.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	169738  

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Jeff,
Thanks for the pics & info.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #31

Sharp installation, Jeff.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

And to answer the question from 3years ago (because i forgot.. ), the battery trays in the 32 are smaller than the longer Journey/ Meridian’s. All but the 32 can accomidate GC2’s in the OEM tray

Jeff - WA6EQU

Tags
batteries, journey