Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Have You Added/Modified Your Batteries on a 32-36ft Journey

I'm thinking about an upcoming addition of a solar system and this will require some battery upgrades - probably the inverter too.

But on the batteries issue, have you added, changed or moved your batteries on a Journey that is in the 32 to 36' range. I'm limiting the size because those 40's gotta have more room and that just makes it too easy.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I enlarged my slide out tray on my 02, 32T Journey. In order to fit 4 each 6 Volt, Golf cart batteries I had to add approximately 1" to the width.

First thing I did is to investigate what size is required for the 4 GC batteries. Checked the sides and top. Measure, measure and measure again. My tray required an additional 1" in the width.

I split the tray in the middle. Cut a scrap piece of plywood to the inside dimensions and bolted the tray together with 1/4 X 3/4 X correct length flat stock. I had to elongate the 8 square bolt holes that secure the tray to the chassis to accommodate the additional width. Caution: their was just enough material on the bolt down ledge for the carriage bolts to secure the tray to the coach.

If you want to alter your tray don't hesitate to PM me if you have any further questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tray 1.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	113479   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tray 2.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	113480  

Attached Images

charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the three 12 volt batteries with four six volt Costco GC batteries in my 2000 36 ft Horizon.
The battery tray was rotten with battery acid damage so I had a local metal shop fabric a replacement battery tray exactly to the dimensions of the four six volt batteries. Then I riveted it to the existing slide out hardware. Fabricated the necessary cables and removed the piece of metal above the battery area since I needed more clearance for the top of the batteries.
In addition I added two more six volt Costco GC batteries to the other side of the coach where the power cable resides and a battery switch under the bed near the circuit breaker door. However years later I removed these two batteries since I was concerned with possibility of battery fumes entering the coach. I replaced the two batteries with an Harbor Freight retractable water reel.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Wow,
You guys did exactly what I did to our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT about 4 years ago. It came with (3) 12V Interstate junk Marine/RV batteries that developed dead cells in less than a year. So, I checked on the sizes of 6V Golf cart batteries and, well, you'll see in the pics that they and, the compartment/tray, look just like your two do. When I first glanced at the pictures, I thought someone had copied my system. They look that close to mine.

On our coach, I was fortunate to not have to modify the tray. It accommodated the (4) new Costco 6V GC batteries without issue.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
I'm thinking about an upcoming addition of a solar system and this will require some battery upgrades - probably the inverter too.

But on the batteries issue, have you added, changed or moved your batteries on a Journey that is in the 32 to 36' range. I'm limiting the size because those 40's gotta have more room and that just makes it too easy.
Golf car batteries as mentioned above seem to be a good option and when considering the change keep in mind golf car batteries are (most often) taller than the RV/Marine batteries. My RV had three RV/Marine batteries sitting side by side and without modification I was able to install four golf car batteries. Similar to the photo attached by Scott.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In two coaches I have had on added batteries. In one I fabricated a new battery box so as to accommodate another two six volt batteries. On another an additional pair was mounted in a storage compartment and connected to the original batteries by about 12-15' of heavy cable. Where there is a will there is a way.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I needed more clearance for the top of the batteries.
QUOTE]

I forgot to mention it on my first post, that I increased the height needed for the golf card batteries by cutting off approximately 1/2" from the gusset above the tray. I then bonded on a rubber piece so their is no chance of improper grounding of the battery bank.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Bill and Scott, how do you get Costco GC batteries? I'm a member of Costco and live in an area with lots of golf courses - if that even helps.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Bill and Scott, how do you get Costco GC batteries? I'm a member of Costco and live in an area with lots of golf courses - if that even helps.
Nomad Mike,
Typically, Costco has the 6V Golf Cart batteries in the tire and battery section of the store. Now, some will carry the brand that I and others have shown in the pictures above. But, other Costco stores will opt for different brands of 6V batteries. When I first did my changeover, I explained the 6 month (maximum) warranty and how it tapered off.

Another fella came back say I was wrong about the 6 month and it's actually a 12 month replacement. Well, I took another picture of the actual words on the battery and it stated "6 Month full replacement, after that, it's pro-rated".

He came back with a picture of his Costco batteries. Only his were "Interstate" batteries which, provided for a longer non-pro-rated warranty. So, just some info here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Cables battery conversions

When I did some battery cable work had trouble finding cables heavy enough that were still flexible. Parts house were no help, all their stuff is very stiff. Had to go to a welder supply store, they have cable as heavy as you would ever want/need on the roll. They cut to your need, it's flexible, and they installed the ends. Per foot cheaper than premade cables at the parts place.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have Trojan T-145 batteries in my 34H. In order to get them in I needed to trim the upper lip of the panel, repaint, and install an edge protector just in case (they are quite tall). While at it I completely rewired the coach main12v and replaced the factory cable with Super Excellene 4/0 welding cable on the batteries and all the way to the inverter. I also utilized the unused space in the utility breezeway under the bed and built a main buss connect for everything: coach 12V, inverter, Solar, current shunt, main fuse, etc. so they are all completely weather protected. I also installed a Marine grade emergency shutoff switch located at the foot of the bed. So now the only connections on the batteries are the main 4/0 feeders, and temp sense for the Magnum and Solar control. Since I had so many connectors to crimp I just bought a 12ton pneumatic crimp tool so was able to custom fit everything.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Jeff, that sounds like a great way to do it. By breezeway, you mean the space right under the bed where the AC and inverter circuit breakers are?

Do you have a diagram or pictures?
Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I do but was looking for the T-145's as well. Looks like all I have are the U2200's that I installed after the 1st trip to Quartzsite and killed my OEM 12v batteries on a 17 degree night. Since then the install has gotten MUCH prettier.

Yes, that's the area I used under the bed. When the pix are added you will also see that I lined the entire area with auto firewall insulation to keep the paneling from turning into a soundboard. I also have a auto surge suppressor in that area with a slightly noisy contractor, and it also further isolates the fan noise from the Magnum when the fan starts ramping up.

I'll add the pics as soon as Santa is done doing his thing
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I do but was looking for the T-145's as well. Looks like all I have are the U2200's that I installed after the 1st trip to Quartzsite and killed my OEM 12v batteries on a 17 degree night. Since then the install has gotten MUCH prettier.

Yes, that's the area I used under the bed. When the pix are added you will also see that I lined the entire area with auto firewall insulation to keep the paneling from turning into a soundboard. I also have a auto surge suppressor in that area with a slightly noisy contractor, and it also further isolates the fan noise from the Magnum when the fan starts ramping up.

Looking foreword to your pics. Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Looking foreword to your pics. Have a Merry Christmas.
Ditto!
Old 06-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Resurrecting the dead...for those that have switched to 4 6V, any concerns about the weight capacity rating of the Qwikee battery tray?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post

Sent a PM to SCVJeff to see if he had the pics he was going to add to this topic.

Quote:
A couple of years ago you were going to post some pics of your Winnebago Journey battery modifications in this topic: http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ey-272394.html
Any chance you still have the pictures and/or the MH and post the pics. Especially the Magnum install under the bed. I just bought a 2006 Journey and will be moving my Magnum 2000 from the old RV to the Journey. I also will be moving my lithium batteries as well.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #18

You don't mention doing an energy use survey. That's the first step in determining battery needs. Then your total should be multiplied by 1.5, or 2 if you need a CPAP. The number of battery amp hours then determines the necessary solar panel watts...one to one unless your camping locations dictate more.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
You don't mention doing an energy use survey. That's the first step in determining battery needs. Then your total should be multiplied by 1.5, or 2 if you need a CPAP. The number of battery amp hours then determines the necessary solar panel watts...one to one unless your camping locations dictate more.
About the CPAP.....If you leave the heater off, the CPAP itself pulls very little power. DW uses a CPAP every night and it only pulls about 1amp (8 to 9AH for the night. She always leaves the humidifier heater off. If she turns it on the CPAP pulls about 5 amps.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #20

While I don't need a CPAP machine, I'm too old to leave the heater off! lol
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, journey