Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone switched out their Sightseer 35G sofa?

Looking to switch out the uncomfortable sofa in our 2014 Sightseer 35G. While we would prefer to have reclining sofa, the 3 inch floor on top of the slide would make the height of a new reclining sofa encroach too far into our window space. So now we are thinking about just going to a regular sofa. Just curious if anyone else switched out theirs and what you came up with. Thanks!
Meowtorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Agree

That sofa is not comfortable to sit on for more than 30 minutes. I prop a few pillows in the corner and use it as a chaise, but that is uncomfortable also. My wife (who sits in the recliner) doesn't want to swap it out so we have a bed for grandkids.
HowieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Howie B - You are so right! We do the same thing with the pile of pillow and chaise. Have you ever laid on the bed? OMG! It makes the sofa actually feel comfortable! The problem we have in trying to replace the current sofa is that the slide has a 3 inch platform that the sofa sits on. So we would have to replace with something that is able to accommodate that difference in the gap that platform makes as well as the depth of the platform itself - which is not as deep as the actual sofa. Then there is the height of the back of the current sofa - we need to make sure the back of a new one isn't so tall that it encroaches into the windows too much. Would love to have theatre seating there, but the replacement furniture I find is both too tall in the back and can't be placed on that 3" platform since those pieces can't accommodate that gap and depth issue.
Meowtorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Let me know if you find something that works. I haven't tried it as a bed, and hope I never have to. Other than that sofa I love the floor plan. How long have you owned yours?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We bought it new. We love the floorplan too!!! We took out the recliner and table to make room for more countertop area. We also hide the litter box under that area. Itching for April to hit the road again. Been a long IL winter! We are thinking of heading up to Elkhart/Shipshewana area this summer and checking out what two different companies up there can come up with for a replacement. Have been emailing RecPro and Bradd and Hall with questions and pics. Just wish I could find some other's that have already replaced theirs to get their thoughts.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good luck. We bought ours last August in Florida and drove it home. Went to Amana colonies in October for a few days. Can't wait to get it out of storage. I found a great shop 20 miles from home that works on RVs. I'm taking it there to check it out front to back and top to bottom. It was a consignment sale (didn't find out until signing the purchase agreement) so the dealership had done nothing to it prior to sale. I'm still trying to get 2 window blinds they promised to have shipped to me.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Let me know how the shop works out and if you are satisfied with them.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Will do. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
DLH

Couch replacement

Check out this video, maybe you can find something. https://youtu.be/CgqfSlzzu1o
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have an 07 Sighseer with the same couch issue. It is going to be a bear to it get out the door as well as the replacement in the door. We are looking at a Lazyboy double wall hugger recliner. My big issue now is trying to find the attaching points to empxy the front grill back in place. Virtually no RV techs on the Mississippi gulf coast.
losone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
Happy Camper

2015 Itasca 35G, The couch is very uncomfortable to sit on and the bed is a night mare to sleep on with out adding a air mattress on top of it. As for the front grill I noticed mine is also falling out. Looks like a job for some stainless steel bolts and locking bolts. Just bolted down the hood mount last year. Guess cement don't work well. lol Looking forward to your suggestions.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH View Post
Check out this video, maybe you can find something. https://youtu.be/CgqfSlzzu1o
DLH - We would love to get a RecPro sofa! Problem is the 3 inch platform of the slide. RecPro told us none of their reclining sofa's would work for us because the frame of the sofa cannot be modified to work on that 3 inch platform. We were all set up to get that one until we found out that. RecPro has been great to work with on trying to accommodate our needs, but because of that platform it just won't work. :(
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by losone View Post
We have an 07 Sighseer with the same couch issue. It is going to be a bear to it get out the door as well as the replacement in the door. We are looking at a Lazyboy double wall hugger recliner. My big issue now is trying to find the attaching points to empxy the front grill back in place. Virtually no RV techs on the Mississippi gulf coast.
losone - The sofa actually comes out in manageable pieces that separate. The key to finding a replacement is to make sure that it is modular - like the lazyboy's are. The backs separate from the base and then the seats should separate from each other as well. From all of our research, make sure you measure the depth of the current slide platform under the current sofa to make sure the depth will accommodate your new sofa. Don't want too much of the new sofa hanging off the front over that 3 inch gap from the platform to the floor. Also check the height of the back of the new sofa. The height from the actual slide platform/decking to the to top of the current sofa is only about 34-36" (sorry I dont' have my measurements in front of me right now to tell you exactly). Most recliners measure 39"-42" inches in the back height, which then makes the new sofa encroach into your window requiring you to cut your side cornices of your window treatments to a shorter length or remove them altogether.

Now you got me wondering how our grill is doing. Gonna have to check that out.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkempf216 View Post
2015 Itasca 35G, The couch is very uncomfortable to sit on and the bed is a night mare to sleep on with out adding a air mattress on top of it. As for the front grill I noticed mine is also falling out. Looks like a job for some stainless steel bolts and locking bolts. Just bolted down the hood mount last year. Guess cement don't work well. lol Looking forward to your suggestions.
NAPA part number 765-2416 . Number on the package 46409 5 minute epoxy.It is clear so it won't show There is no way to bolt in the grill to make it look right. Epoxy the 4 corners about 6" in in a 2" strip. Make sure you rough up the surfaces and it will hold until you jack up the licanse plate and drive another coach under it. Good Luck Lee and Margie
Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

My grill came loose and I got the OEM epoxy, Plexus MA-310. Have taken a couple trips since and so far it’s holding. It’s not a good configuration for drilling and bolting.
I certainly agree that the stock pullout bed is not much better than laying on the floor. We bought an air mattress for it.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundr56 View Post
I certainly agree that the stock pullout bed is not much better than laying on the floor. We bought an air mattress for it.
We look at the pull out bed as a way to discourage visitors. LOL
Old 03-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #17
Happy Camper

Thank you LOSONE & THUNDR56 for your suggestions. Do I need to remove the old cement before I install the new cement or can I just add the new cement over the existing glob?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

VERY IMPORTANT to remove the old cement and rough up the surface of the metal. It is almost impossible to get to the fiberglass side on the upper portion but it should hold. You will run into the same issue with the hood latch cletes. In that case I roughed up the fiberglass side and removed the paint from the clete which is what caused it in the 1st place. I have close to 400K miles under my belt in 6 Winnebagos and where there is fiberglass with metal you can be sure it is glued on with probably epoxy. The issue has always been failure to clean the metal side.. Good Luck Lee and Margie
Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #19
Happy Camper

Again thank you Losone for your expertise. Wonder why Winnie didn't just install it correctly the first time??????
Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtorhome View Post
DLH - We would love to get a RecPro sofa! Problem is the 3 inch platform of the slide. RecPro told us none of their reclining sofa's would work for us because the frame of the sofa cannot be modified to work on that 3 inch platform. We were all set up to get that one until we found out that. RecPro has been great to work with on trying to accommodate our needs, but because of that platform it just won't work. :(
So when your slide is out the couch is on a 3" tall platform?

I have a 2016 Adventurer 37F and want to replace the sofa. Our slide is even with the main floor when it all the way out. I'm hoping this Rec Pro will work.
scottybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer, switch