Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Gravity water fill not working

The only campsite we could get over Memorial Day weekend and the following week has electric only. I thought no problem. We'll use the campground toilet and shower, and if we get low on water I'll just gravity fill my water tank 5 gallons at a time if needed. Well, we are down to 1/3 in the fresh water tank. I filled my 5 gallon container and opened the gravity fill door. There is water up to the opening. For some reason water is not going into the tank from the gravity fill. I used the gravity fill last year and once earlier this year without problems. Two days before heading out on this trip I had the entire MH checked by an RV shop. They told me they flushed the water system, including the water heater, and everything was fine. Any ideas on why the gravity fill is not going into the tank? 2014 Sightseer 35G.
HowieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieB View Post
The only campsite we could get over Memorial Day weekend and the following week has electric only. I thought no problem. We'll use the campground toilet and shower, and if we get low on water I'll just gravity fill my water tank 5 gallons at a time if needed. Well, we are down to 1/3 in the fresh water tank. I filled my 5 gallon container and opened the gravity fill door. There is water up to the opening. For some reason water is not going into the tank from the gravity fill. I used the gravity fill last year and once earlier this year without problems. Two days before heading out on this trip I had the entire MH checked by an RV shop. They told me they flushed the water system, including the water heater, and everything was fine. Any ideas on why the gravity fill is not going into the tank? 2014 Sightseer 35G.
They would have flushed (if they even did what they told you they did) with the city water hookup. I doubt they put water in the gravity fill.

Your RV should have a selector valve that you can change to fill the fresh water tank from city water inlet. Fill up the fresh water tank until water comes out the over flow tube. Lower the water faucet to low, and then use your hand to block the overflow tube. This will force the water out the gravity fill. Hopefully this will push out the blockage. Don't over do the water pressure. You can cause a water leak in your fresh water tank by over pressure.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I don't understand "lower the water faucet to low".
Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieB View Post
I don't understand "lower the water faucet to low".
That didn't make much sense did it? Sorry.

Once the water is coming out of the overflow, reduce the water flow and then use your hand to cover the end of the overflow pipe.

You don't want high pressure to over pressurize your tank, they are not designed from high pressure. Also you don't want to have the water spray all over you if you leave the faucet wide open.

You want just enough pressure to push whatever is clogging the gravity tube out. Hopefully whatever is clogging the fill tube can be pushed back out. I would keep my hand covering the overflow tube for a minute or 3 or 4 minutes while someone watches the top of the gravity fill tube to see if any water is being pushed out.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Does your city water inlet have a 2 position valve to allow you to either fill the water tank or use city water (mine does). It's possible that if that is left in the "City Water" position, that the gravity feed fill line will be closed. If you have the City Water/Tank Fill valve, try moving that to the opposite position and see if that opens up the gravity fill line.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac99 View Post
Does your city water inlet have a 2 position valve to allow you to either fill the water tank or use city water (mine does). It's possible that if that is left in the "City Water" position, that the gravity feed fill line will be closed. If you have the City Water/Tank Fill valve, try moving that to the opposite position and see if that opens up the gravity fill line.
That would be very interesting if that fixed the problem. Well worth a try, only takes a couple of minutes. All the gravity fills I have see are light weight 1 1/2" to 2" flexible tubes going directly to the fresh water tank. The large diameter is so a 5/8" water hose, pretty much on full flow, will just go down the tube w/o backing up and flowing out the top of the gravity fill.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I tried moving the tank fill/city water valve, and I've turned every other valve with no luck. Unfortunately I can't try the covering the overflow while filling with city water method without moving the MH from my site. We'll make the best of it for now. We've got the 5 gallon container with spigot to use. We're leaving Sunday. I can check it out once we get home. The water pump has also become very noisy. It cycles on every minute or two. Can't find any leaks. When it rains, it pours! Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My guess is that the tube is crimped somewhere. The one on my rig is oh so slow. Any faster and it backs up. Cheap tubing that was designed to be non pressurized and bends easily.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Gravity fill water not working

I just had that issue with my 2006 Outlook. Tried to fill my fresh water tank & water would over flow back out. Wound up being the air hose at the top of fresh water tanks was blocked. Cleared it and tank finished filling up.
Rick
easyout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

How did you clear the vent?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I just shook the line real hard to get the old water & etc. out of it which was enough to unblock it. Sometime this summer I need to take it off at the fresh water tank & flush it out with some bleach water.
easyout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Howie!! Have you checked the Winnebago parts catalog to see the drawings for how the hoses run so that you can check along those lines for a kink yourself without having to take it in for service? If you have checked it all through like the other guys suggested I would have to agree that it's probably some kink.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I'll check the water line routing. The mechanic that did the service right before we left told me all was well with the entire water system, including the water heater. We also had no hot water on our trip. I'll be calling him tomorrow. At $130/hour I expected great service.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I remember us talking about a reputable dealer/repair place near Earlville back in February, but can't seem to find where we talked about where you ended up finding a place at. Just curious. Be sure to let us know what they say - I agree for $130 an hour there shouldn't have been any issues for you.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We had the same issue with our challenger 5th wheel where the gravity feed would be slow. So I blew out the breather line by holding a 2 foot x 1/2 inch clear hose against the breather line opening and continue blowing until the line was clear.
bbeezzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water