Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Gas tank lock

Does anyone lock their gas tank filler?
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We do not, but I know that some people do use locking gas caps. I know that it is critical to find a replacement cap that will seal correctly so as to not set off the "check engine" light.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I do, but I kinda have to because the filler tube and cap is behind a little door. But it's designed to close all the way even if I forget to lock it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, mostly concerned while it is stored in the storage facility where a couple of hundred people have access.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The tech that walked us through our PDI actually mentioned this mod. Not sure whether this was dealership policy or his personal recommendation but I am on the lookout for a lockable gas cap.

Our Vista's fuel fill is exposed, not behind a door, etc.
FishBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBuckeye View Post
Thanks, mostly concerned while it is stored in the storage facility where a couple of hundred people have access.

I understand your concern. Our RV is also in storage when we're not traveling, but thankfully we have had no issues in 6 years. I know that there are locking gas caps available, though.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:

In almost 15 years of full timing, and perusing every RVing forum I have come across, I've read of 10's of burglaries with theft of items from inside, outside, fuel, etc. from RVs. Tires too. EVEN from locked, fenced, and video guarded lots. Read about one upscale RV that had someone living in it over the winter. They'd climb the fence and the RV was where the cams couldn't see the break in. They came in a window they'd broken. Read of others that were under those lean to shelters storage places have and had electric and people were living in them. What a mess.

I know that it's nearly impossible to guarantee you're not going to be hit no matter what you do, but a locking fuel cap is a beginning. I'd recommend big signs in the windows and on the door that there's video recording equipment streaming to the web aboard (even if it's a lie).

On the other hand, there are millions of RVs in storage that have never been broken into. You should check the police crime stats for wherever you decide to park it. Any Realtor can help you with that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We bought a locking gas cap for around $20 at a major auto parts store - For the Ford E450 it is an item most will have in stock. For secure storage, there are options that reduce vulnerability. I can think of 3 places in MN that have secure inside storage and theft would be a very low possibility. We are very fortunate to have secure inside storage. The RV comes out in the Spring as good as new.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Alternative to lock

Last year we made a trip to Mexico with a group of about 75(!) rigs. I was looking at Wally World before the trip and found springs that you use a screwdriver to place in the neck of the filler pipe. Filling works fine but siphoning will not... And it was only about $5 for a pair so the toad is safe too.
markecolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The latest method of fuel theft (as prices rise towards ridiculous in parts of Canada) is a battery operated drill, and a bucket/container. They slip under the rig where the fuel tank is, and drill holes to let the fuel run out into a container. A locking cap isn't going to defeat that.
It would be less expensive to let the thieves siphon your fuel, than have to repair/replace the fuel tank.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Does anyone lock their gas tank filler?
My unit has a door covering the gas cap. I just replaced the stock latch on the door with a locking one. Keeps most honest and gives me peace of mind.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I should have added that in order to access the fuel filler pipe in my Sprinter chassis Navion, thieves would have to open the driver's side cab door, as the fuel cap is under a smaller adjacent door that's "locked" closed, by the larger door overlapping it.
Not sure when MB started that design, but it works. However, it does not defeat the drill and bucket theft method.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I also have a Navion with same filler design, and I don't worry about theft of diesel oil. Maybe I'm wrong, but as for gas theft, I would rather just let' em have it, rather than have holes drilled, gas cap doors jimmied, etc., that would cost more to fix than would getting the gas tank refilled.
Smitty550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I always lock just cant trust some people in the world who just like to cause problems for those who worked hard for toys
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I'd be more concerned of someone adding something into the gas tank.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We bought our coach used. It has a locking door and a standard cap. The keys we received did not work on the lock so the first time we bought gas we were rather dismayed that we'd have to drill out the lock. Took 5 min. And put on a big hunk of duct tape to keep the door shut til we got home and then replaced the lock. I think storage places are the most easy to steal stuff from. We used one for several years. Even though we were not bothered there were homeless who snuck in the automatic gate by walking alongside a rig out of camera view. I saw these people twice. First time called manager, second time 911. The broke into an old funky AMC motor home and were living in it. And our neighbor had his trailer burglarized and vandalized. Caught on camera, this low life sent his scrawny little son up on the roof and busted thru the skylight. We widened our side yard and move coach home after that series of events. We have never had any issues in camping areas at all, except some little masked bandits made off with a six pack of Coke.
luckydog08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandave View Post
I'd be more concerned of someone adding something into the gas tank.
That's definitely something to consider. Hopefully other people storing their RVs have better things to do, but you never know. If a locking cap gives some peace of mind then it is worth the small investment.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

As my dad used to tell me, "locks are only for honest people"

At the storage yard where I used to keep my TT, someone stole a genset from a motorhome. If someone wants to steal it, nothing is safe.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Locking caps are great for peace of mind. How about a tether for the cap so it is not left on top of the pump.
Turtle94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

We tried a locking cap, actually 2 and both caused the check engine light to come on. They just don;t seal as well as the original. When we unscrew the original we hear pressure being released, not so with the long locking cap.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank