Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Full wall slide problem 2014 Journey

I was going to load the new coach for our first trip and when I went to put out the full wall slide the bottom went out a few inches and the top stayed in. I stopped at once and when I retracted the slide It made a crunching sound and that was it. I called Winnebago and they said take it back to the dealer, that was my first thought too!! Well I took it back to Camping world and left it. I should hear from them this afternoon once they have a chance to get into it. So instead of heading to the beac for a week we are sick at home. It happens with a new rig sometimes and I am just dissapointed, wish me luck, Jim
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does it have what looks like ladders on the top and bottom ends of the slide? I had the same problem. Had to have the entire slide mechanism replaced. I hope you have better luck than I
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you did not leave the locks on it may be something they left on the slide out roof. They left a piece of moulding 8 ft long on mine which damaged the seal and let water in which also destroyed microwave
Old 07-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No locks on that slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
If you did not leave the locks on it may be something they left on the slide out roof. They left a piece of moulding 8 ft long on mine which damaged the seal and let water in which also destroyed microwave
There are no locks on the full wall slide, I'm not sure what the cause was but the parts will be there Monday and I hope to get it back by Wednesday. We haven't been on a trip yet but I did have the slides in and out 4 or 5 times before this happened and everything was fine.
I was well pleased with Winnebago Owners Relations (1-800-537-1885) when I called to check on the parts being shipped. A guy named Eric was a big help so hats off to him for making me feel like someone up there cares. Lippert Componets that makes the slide Mech has a good video on their web site that shows the installation and the works of their Schwintiek System slide out rooms. I like what I saw there and I called them too and they were real nice and helpful as well. All in All Winnebago and Lippert Componets made a bad situation better for me. It is a beautiful coach and I can't wait to get on the road again!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
There are no locks on the full wall slide,
Perhaps it is due to the slide mechanism used on your much newer coach, but mine has two (2) electric locks which pivot up from recessed areas on the top of the full wall slide and lock against the interior wall (header). The "one place" panel holds a switch which must be held in while they retract flush, so the FWS will extend. There is another switch and single electric lock for the opposing wall slide out, but none on the much smaller bedroom slide.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I was going to load the new coach for our first trip and when I went to put out the full wall slide the bottom went out a few inches and the top stayed in. I stopped at once and when I retracted the slide It made a crunching sound and that was it. I called Winnebago and they said take it back to the dealer, that was my first thought too!! Well I took it back to Camping world and left it. I should hear from them this afternoon once they have a chance to get into it. So instead of heading to the beac for a week we are sick at home. It happens with a new rig sometimes and I am just dissapointed, wish me luck, Jim
We are currently at the Winnebago factory in Iowa with slide problems. They had to change the track because the 2013 and 2014 have defective parts. Come to Iowa!!!! We went to three dealers/Camping Worlds and no success. Only the factory can fix it. We have met more than 20 RVers who have had the same problem.
judelesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our 2013 Meridian is at CW right now with slide problem. Front passenger side slide went partially out and stopped-couldn't get it in or out! Apparently Winnebago has had some issues with this slide mechanism and CW is putting an entire new slide assembly in. Hope to have it back by next week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTELLE View Post
Our 2013 Meridian is at CW right now with slide problem. Front passenger side slide went partially out and stopped-couldn't get it in or out! Apparently Winnebago has had some issues with this slide mechanism and CW is putting an entire new slide assembly in. Hope to have it back by next week.
Will some of you that are reporting issues with the slide mechanism PLEASE post which brand / model of mechanism has become so problematic because WBGO uses many different types depending on model year and floor plan. THANKS.
Ed
Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Our coach is a 2013 40u with four slides. The passenger front slide is a Lippert Schwintiek system. Motors front and back with tracks on the side at the top and bottom. No locking mechanism on this slide, only drivers side front slide. The tech believes the rollers under the floor are not heavy enough to support the slide as it moves allowing the slide to drop more than it should causing the slide to come off the tracks. We don't have the MH back yet to know for sure. Hope to get it back next week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTELLE View Post
Our coach is a 2013 40u with four slides. The passenger front slide is a Lippert Schwintiek system. Motors front and back with tracks on the side at the top and bottom. No locking mechanism on this slide, only drivers side front slide. The tech believes the rollers under the floor are not heavy enough to support the slide as it moves allowing the slide to drop more than it should causing the slide to come off the tracks. We don't have the MH back yet to know for sure. Hope to get it back next week.
THANK YOU . I'm seeing lots of coach builders using this new, space saving design to power their slides. Sorry to hear they are apparently problematic.

Like most things RV, it seems to take a year or two to get the bugs worked out. I would like to think that design and prototype testing would keep OWNERS from becoming the "proving ground" for RV innovations, but it seems that is not the case- a LOT.
Ed
Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by judelesemann View Post

We are currently at the Winnebago factory in Iowa with slide problems. They had to change the track because the 2013 and 2014 have defective parts. Come to Iowa!!!! We went to three dealers/Camping Worlds and no success. Only the factory can fix it. We have met more than 20 RVers who have had the same problem.
Schwintek designed the slide mevchanism and was bought out by Lippert Components Inc.
judelesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by judelesemann View Post
Schwintek designed the slide mevchanism and was bought out by Lippert Components Inc.
Add the 2012's to that list. My entire front driver's side slide mechanism was replaced by Camping World in Boisie in May. And guess what, it's starting to act cockeyed again!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We have the 2013 Winnie Journey.heare some squealing on the passenger
Front slide. Sprayed W-D 40 wherever Ia could see a rollers, has stopped for the time being. Had to the factory last month for jacks, awning and steering.
Guess they are ok for now. Goes into the deale here in Ft. worth on tues.
for. Jacks and a burnt switch othe main cord in the elec. door.erminals were
lose . Had to cut off about one inch as it was fried. Hopefully this too will pass.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Poppop, on the outside or the inside?
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Poppop, on the outside or the inside?
This was on the insid of the belly door where the cord is stored.
There is a cover on the main breaker/ switch box. In there is where
The terminals were loose . I believe that is why the cord was burnt.
Will get replaced on tues. hopefully.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Well we got our coach back last Wed, Oct 2 from CW-they removed the front passenger side slide and put an entire new slide mechanism in. Brought it home and loaded it for a trip to Asheville and guess what!! The slide came halfway in and is stuck! Won't come in or out-starting to get very frustrated. The motors appear to be ok, but something is blocking the movement. Anyone have any thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

each time any of my slides don't respond to the switches that control them, I turn off the chassis battery switch in the step well. Once this battery switch is back on, the other switches seem to have been "re-set", and the slide function is restored-until the next time it happens.

OBTW, WBGO recommends my gasser's motor be running when using the slides or leveling jacks in case the chassis battery is too "weak".
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Wow, so many different slide problems. Well it is no new thing to me with a 2008 Winni.

Now I'm wondering if you have an electronic override on the FWS. I do, and pushing the little pin hole reset button on the elctronic control will allow one to manual through the electronic system bring the slide in. I had to use that when mine was binding up. I noticed that one end of the FWS would start in way ahead of the other end of the slide. I would switch to the override mode and start the slow side first, then using the in and out buttons alternate and NEVER move one end more than 2 inches past the other end. I used that method until I could get to the dealer. They found that the brake lever on the motor had somehow tripped and that was causing the slow walk-in of the slide.

Just another point of view on slide operation - Kwikee system
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

My 2011 Journey's full wall slide has "slide locks"...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Boy am I feeling lucky, our 2012 Journey 40U has the Power Gear slide system and has been on problem what so ever (knock on wood).
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, slide