Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Full timing in a 34B Meridian/Journey?

Just curious if anyone is full-time in a 34B Meridian or Journey. We like the floor plan but curious about how it would hold up to the weight for two people equipped for full-time, with a small toad.

We may be happier in a 40U but we like the shorter length of the 34B. Is the wheelbase/length .49 vs .56 significant enough to tip the scales in favor of the 40U? Plus the additional carrying capacity? Hmmm, sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into a 40U!! Talk me down!
NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum... but you'll have to find someone else to "talk you down".

Lots of folks full time in rigs much smaller than the 34, but IMHO, going with the 40 was a better choice for us.

I think the tipping factor could be your personal style and choice. A 40DP is roomy and comfortable for two people to live in. A 34... well, I think it depends on the people.

Don't let any concerns you might have about handling a bigger rig influence you too much. You'll adapt quickly. On the other hand, if you want a smaller unit because you plan to use national and state parks a lot and want to be able to get into remote/small spaces... the 34 would probably be a better choice.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dont have a Winnie but we F/T in a 33 footer. As long as you get it down to what you aint got you dont need, you can do the same.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Welcome to the forum... but you'll have to find someone else to "talk you down".

Lots of folks full time in rigs much smaller than the 34, but IMHO, going with the 40 was a better choice for us.

I think the tipping factor could be your personal style and choice. A 40DP is roomy and comfortable for two people to live in. A 34... well, I think it depends on the people.

Don't let any concerns you might have about handling a bigger rig influence you too much. You'll adapt quickly. On the other hand, if you want a smaller unit because you plan to use national and state parks a lot and want to be able to get into remote/small spaces... the 34 would probably be a better choice.

Best of luck.

Rick
Thanks RickO.

I appreciate the perspective on adapting to a rig's handling capability. You're spot on about the weighting (no pun intended) we will place on our ability to access national and state parks, but we're trying to find that sweet spot.

The difference in overall length between the 34B and the 40U is only 68" but with that 68" comes a more skookum chassis, more hp/torque and more basement storage. Oh, and more dollars.

Left to my own devices I'd probably go with the 40U, but the DW has a different perspective, and it is a democracy! Hmmm, maybe whoever will do the majority of driving can make the tie breaker vote!

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Dont have a Winnie but we F/T in a 33 footer. As long as you get it down to what you aint got you dont need, you can do the same.
Thanks for the encouragement. Really helps to hear what others are doing.

I guess the important thing is to not outdrive the road/weather conditions and factor in driver experience.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLanding View Post

Thanks for the encouragement. Really helps to hear what others are doing.

I guess the important thing is to not outdrive the road/weather conditions and factor in driver experience.
Thanks! There may be a 4x footer in our future, but we have much easy riding to do and tight places to tuck into for a long time.
We only have 2 slides, so it aint a dancefloor, but we can dance on it!
DW gave up a mini-fridge and a freezer. I gave up the bowling alley.

Best wishes.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have no intention of full-timing, but we did, it would be something more like the 40U. The front half of the plan is essentially the same as our 42QD, with a great floor plan and lots of space. Our 2008 40TD was an excellent option for those who full-time.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi NW

we full time in a 36 footer
i read all the time; "bigger is better"
our experience; "the best floorplan (FOR YOU) is better"

best of luck
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
Hi NW

best of luck
I agree. The layout is 90% of the deal. For us, the TV position made a huge difference.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1239338475.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	37660
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We purchased a 40U as our "Retirement RV". We love the living room / kitchen floor plan. Wish it had a larger bathroom. Once we retire and spend more time on the road, we my move up to the 42QD.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We only do about five months a year in our Journey. We went back and forth between our 40L and the 34Y....MANY TIMES!!!! Either would have worked but Jean loved the fireplace and the Frieghtliner rep said GET THE LONGER ONE; the ride is so much better. I think we would have beeen very happy with the 34 but we love our 40.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have a 33 ft Adventurer and full timed in it in 2003. It worked fine for us then and it is still great for access to the many State and Natural parks.
Look ahead and see the many limitations on size in the campings you want to go too!

If you do not plan to go to those State or Nat. campings the sky is the limit but there are a lot of limits above 40 ft.
Happy hunting!
Ellen
adventurous2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

well we do not have the 34b we do have a Winnie 33c which is gas. we have spent the last five years wintering in Texas for 6 months in a unit of 34 feet with no problem. I like the size to manuver. If we ere going to go up to a diesel it would be a 34b or used 34y.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We only spend 4 months ...bigger the better...and I still find the basement to small! Ha ha
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The difference in overall length between the 34B and the 40U is only 68" but with that 68" comes a more skookum chassis, more hp/torque and more basement storage. Oh, and more dollars.
Don't forget, more fuel to buy for the same miles driven with the more hp/torque.

33'-34' has worked for me Full Time since "99"
From 99 to 02 didn't even have the one slide I have now.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We don't full time, but we do take extended MH trips. We had a 42' with tag, and now have a 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B, and we love it. When stopped, with slides out, there is plenty of room. When travelling, with slides in, things are pretty tight. Howver, the driving and handling is great -- goes down the road straight as an arrow. Air ride is good. Penty of storage in the bays for me. Overall we are very happy.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We spend about 7 months a year in the MH and just downsized from a 39', 4 slide Excursion to a 34B Journey. The journey has more storage space than the Excursion and is a pleasure to drive.
jreichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
We have no intention of full-timing, but we did, it would be something more like the 40U. The front half of the plan is essentially the same as our 42QD, with a great floor plan and lots of space. Our 2008 40TD was an excellent option for those who full-time.
One emerging theme for us the sense of compartmentalized space. It makes sense to try to accommodate 4-6 passengers for some families but it's unlikely that we would ever have more than two guests. Placing a TV on a back wall where someone working in the galley would be constantly stepping in front of the TV is crazy, not to mention the sore necks we'd have from watching from seating oriented at 90 degrees. Having a galley/eating area separate from a lounge area seems to make the most sense for us.

Thanks for contributing to our decision process.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
Hi NW

best of luck
Thanks for keeping it real! I think I want two motor homes that I can swap out!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=CampDaven;1546454]I agree. The layout is 90% of the deal. For us, the TV position made a huge difference. /QUOTE]
Looks quite comfortable

Looks quite comfortable, I can see myself sitting there relaxing for the evening. Thanks for the pic.