Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fuel filter (s) on 350 Cat Journey

I have recently purchased an '07 36G with 350 Cat. Do I have likely only one fuel filter/separator or possibly two, the second hopefully having a primer pump? The previous owner could not answer my question as he only had the dealer service the coach.

Ron
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
I have recently purchased an '07 36G with 350 Cat. Do I have likely only one fuel filter/separator or possibly two, the second hopefully having a primer pump? The previous owner could not answer my question as he only had the dealer service the coach.

Ron
Should have two. Don't know about the primer pump.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My 2005 39k with same engine has two filters and no pump. A pump can easily be added at the secondary filter mount. I believe CAT recommends mounting the filters dry and cranking the engine, so a pump is not required.

That said, I have this service done for me. Many of those that do their own service prefer the pump to starting with dry filters. From previous posts I get the impression the pumps cost around $150.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ron: search this great forum for Fuel Filter Relocated. It will take time but several years ago I relocated the fuel filter from the engine compartment to a plate next to the large fuel/water separater filter. One member posted good pics. The entire project will cost about $300. if you are handy. The primer pump is manual and not expensive. Well worth the project because it is very difficult to change the upper engine filter, now I just stand and spin both off easily.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Ron: check this link, the costs for my project was about $270

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/fuel...tml#post713249
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

2 filters, 1st is fuel-water separator (primary) mounted behind radiator (visible to the back), and the 2nd (secondary) is mounted at top of passenger side of engine.

No primer pump on the secondary from factory. Also, I'm pretty sure it won't start unless you prime the filter (be careful to either use clean fuel, or fill it from the outside holes). Lots of posts on this forum regarding how to do this.

I think the relocation of the secondary to the back of the engine, accessible to the back, with the addition of the primer pump as Gary CA did is an excellent project. I would like to do this to mine to minimize the risk of either spilling fuel inside the motorhome, as you have to access the secondary filter from under the bed, and also guaranteeing you're putting clean fuel in the system, so as to not potentially damage the injectors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

While mine only has one fuel/water separator filter (high efficiency 2 micron), don't let anyone tell you you can easily start that CAT after you install dry filters. Without a primer pump, you will have to prefill the filters.

I agree that relocating the filter inside the engine bay to the outside and adding a primer pump is a great idea.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you gentlemen! Your advice is greatly appreciated. Since I don't know when the last change of filters happened I'm going to have it done next week. We're off on a long trip next month so don't have the time to make the change as Gary did, but that looks like a good project during better weather. The existing filter separator is an "Alliance" brand which I am not familiar with. I had Raycor 900's on my boat which I really liked. I may consider changing that Alliance to the Raycor. On my boat I used 2 micron elements on both the primary and secondary, which work really well to keep fuel clean. Might do the same with the Cat.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen! Your advice is greatly appreciated. Since I don't know when the last change of filters happened I'm going to have it done next week. We're off on a long trip next month so don't have the time to make the change as Gary did, but that looks like a good project during better weather. The existing filter separator is an "Alliance" brand which I am not familiar with. I had Raycor 900's on my boat which I really liked. I may consider changing that Alliance to the Raycor. On my boat I used 2 micron elements on both the primary and secondary, which work really well to keep fuel clean. Might do the same with the Cat.
CAT's 198-6398 is the high efficiency 2 micron fuel/water separator element. Wix has an equivalent if you do a cross reference on the Wix filter website.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
... The existing filter separator is an "Alliance" brand which I am not familiar with....
"Alliance" is the Freightliner brand.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I always recommend the filter brand which came on the unit from the factory. CAT secondary fuel and oil filters for the engine, Alliance for the primary fuel/water separator. This is what Freightliner ships with. You can verify by calling 1-800-FTL-HELP, give them the last 6 of your VIN, and they will tell you brand and p/n it shipped with from the factory.

P.S. Both fuel filters should be changed at every oil change interval per Freighliner's maintenance intervals. Don't skimp on this step.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuel, journey