Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone ever replaced to drivers side front storage compartment box? I have been on the road for a few weeks and found water in the bottom of the box when trav in rain. The top and sides are dry. There is also rust on the bottom outside and along the bottom edges. Winnebago will do nothing for me.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone ever replaced to drivers side front storage compartment box? I have been on the road for a few weeks and found water in the bottom of the box when trav in rain. The top and sides are dry. There is also rust on the bottom outside and along the bottom edges. Winnebago will do nothing for me.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on a 04 Journey, never did get it fixed, couldn't find where it was leaking.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had similar problem with my '03 Ultimate Advantage. I went over all seams on sides and bottom with black silicone, then sprayed it on sides and bottom with spray-on undercoat (concentrating especially in the side facing the tire). I've had no further problems.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Re re sealing the seams,
Did you have rust along the edges and on the bottom or just water coming in?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

GGI: I had a leak in that same storage bin. I did what AFChap did. I found a small leak in a top seam, wheel side. An ample smear of black silicone did the trick. No rust in the area, just a few pin holes.......
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you have rust along the edges and on the bottom or just water coming in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had a little rust on the outside on one seam. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and some spray on rust treatment. No visible rust inside, but can't really tell as the compartment is lined with felt-like cloth.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

my storage boxes and the drivers side have two plastic knockout panels...(black on the top) easy to access with the slide out...water was leaking in from there...I placed heat tape over them hopefully this will stop the water...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote