Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I carry a six foot pipe, a 3/4" drive breaker bar, and a socket to fit the lugs, along with bottle jacks to raise an axle.

Why? I hope I never have to use them, but if a tire service won't come rescue me, I do have the option of removing the tire, wrestling it into the toad, and taking it to be repaired.

You asked if you could use this method with a torque wrench. Yes, if the torque wrench is rated for the torque required. It takes a pretty hefty wrench that goes up to 600 ft lbs

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I understand your point about the tire service. I to like to be able to handle any issue that may arise. I will be looking to get a setup like yours. A 600 lb/ft wrench I think would cost a small fortune, let alone needing 2 men and a boy to handle it. Thanks.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

There is a tool called a "torque multiplier", fairly expensive.A high torque air wrench may cost less if you have the air available. That, of course, only gets them off, measure of locking torque still a problem.
If you use a pipe extension with a 3/4 or 1" socket to remove what has been put on by someone else, remember when it lets go it can be quite a pop if they were over torqued.
I just carry the stuff in case no help is available.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

PostScript on my brake issue: My local Freightliner dealer fixed my brakes per the above posts. No pulling, even braking (had it out today to exercise the coach).

After I left the shop when I had the brakes repaired in November, I drove to Pa. for Thanksgiving. Along the route, my left front hub cap came off and was lost.

I called the service manager at my Freightliner dealership, and he immediately assumed his mechanics did not securely attach the hub cap and ordered me a new one.

Picked it up today, had it installed by the shop foreman, and all is well.

My hats off to Tracy Equipment in Rochester, NY (and Syracuse). They are a class act.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I believe I have heard and felt that clunk a couple of times while hitting the brakes hard this trip. Just over 12K miles now. I find it hard to believe these rollers need this much attention, and they are this hard to access for regular PM. It seems to me that if these rollers are packed with grease they would get packed up with brake dust and stop rolling very quickly. What are the lube recommendations ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Steve, having owned FL coaches for going on 7 years now, my experience is that the s-cam roller systems do require periodic maintenance. I have yet to read recommendations on periodic maintenance, other than the M-series recommendations from FL.

I would suggest at least every other year having your front drums pulled and having the s-cams lubricated. Apparently they do not receive grease from the zerks.

The 'clunking' noise when braking is classic regarding s-cam rollers. Time for service.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote