Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

From Toyhauler to Class A

We are thinking of switching from a 5th wheel toyhauler and truck to a 2009 Winnebago Journey 34Y and towing a 16ft tandem enclosed trailer to haul 2 ATV's inside. We want more living space.
Almost ready to push the button we are comfortable with the deal we have thought about the pos and the neg can't find a reason not too.
Truck was 4x4. My only fear is getting stuck.
Has anyone ever mounted a receiver hitch onto the front of a Class A for the purpose of using a winch?
Old 12-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We went from a KZ41 toyhauler to a coach a little over a year ago. We now take our toys in a 20' stacker.

Depending where you go you may be a candidate to get stuck. Depends where you wish to drive. I have seen lots of coaches sitting out in the Imperial Dunes. Some of them must get stuck??? at least you would think so. No firsthand knowledge though.

Not sure about a front winch. There is substantial frame up there but getting under the generator would reduce the clearance.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I too went from a toy hauler to a coach. Hoping to get an enclosed trailer, but for now I'm towing an F150 4WD. The intention is to load some toys in back of the F150. My thoughts are that if you tow an enclosed trailer, it needs to be big enough for the toys and a small car or jeep. A stacker like Gordon's is one way, only you need a coach with enough ponies to tow it.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The stacker is very nice, we are still playing out in the woods with the ATV's. I think a 350HP @ 30,000 LBS and 10,000 LBS towing cap will due for now but when the time comes to pull a car we will probably upgrade again and stay on the road.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We switched from the TH to the DP almost five years ago and have not regretted it. I too was concerned with not having 4x4 but in reality the only time the truck was in 4 wheel drive was camping at Oceano Dunes and the rest of the places we drove in and out in 2 wheel drive.

I typically tow a chevy pickup with the RZRs in the bed and just picked up a 20' enclosed trailer for the trips we don't need a road legal vehicle. The enclosed trailer also makes for a nice tent when we want to go to Oceano and can't take the MH.

The comfort of travel for the wife and the ease of setup the DP offers far outweighs the lose of 4 wheel drive. Quick overnight stops and pulling in late at night and not having to move or sleep next to the toys is a huge plus.

I have seen front hitches on MH but you might need to have a welder make one for your MH. I have looked into installing one on mine but will need to cut out a section of the front fascia for the receiver and I am not willing to do that yet.
discovery4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your replies. I can see going forward that I will be searching this forum and I will be asking lots of questions. The PDI is in 7 days.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

heat pump

As promised I am back with a question?
Most of the time my electric heat works fine and blows hot air through the floor vents. Sometimes it blows hot air through the ceiling vents.
Sometimes it wont work and only blows cold air from the floor.
It does all of these plug into 50 amp shore power.
Is there a way to get it to blow hot air only from the floor vents?

I would certainly appreciate any input

Tags
class a