Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fridge stopped working

Hi, I have a 4 door fridge/freezer in my 2005 Sunrise Itasca 38 J.
It has no power.

Before you reply, Yes, I have checked the ac breakers, I have checked the dc fuses, I have replaced the widget that keeps the unit from blowing up, I have tried cycling the breakers, I have unplugged the fridge from it's dedicated ac outlet and plugged it into a tested and working ac outlet, I have checked all of my GFCI's, I have turned the propane on and off several times.

I have searched for a CO monitor shut off device. I have checked power (ac and dc) on the back of the fridge.

The light in the fridge does not come on when I open the doors.
There is no power to the panel for the on/off switch, mode switch, temperature set.

What have I missed?
Glen in Warden WA
G Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

some fridges have small fuses on the control board, or perhaps a bad ground wire... perhaps a quick call to the original manufacturer and talk to their tec dept.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Im assuming thats a 1200 Norcold?
In addition to the CB mounted fuse, there is likely a failsafe module installed by Norcold. Go look for it and fee if the LED is lit?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The refer is dc powered.(all gas refers are) If there are no lights than there is no 12 volt power. Check for power at the back of the refer on the control board where the incoming power is terminated. If you have power there than the board is probably bad or it could have a blown fuse or safety switch. If no power than the refer circuit breaker (12 volt) could be blown.

Sam
uthurricaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

fridg

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Longstreet View Post
It has no power.

Before you reply, Yes, I have checked the ac breakers, I have checked the dc fuses, I have replaced the widget that keeps the unit from blowing up, I have tried cycling the breakers, I have unplugged the fridge from it's dedicated ac outlet and plugged it into a tested and working ac outlet, I have checked all of my GFCI's, I have turned the propane on and off several times.

I have searched for a CO monitor shut off device. I have checked power (ac and dc) on the back of the fridge.

There is no power to the panel for the on/off switch, mode switch, temperature set.

What have I missed?
Glen in Warden WA
if you have a no cold then I think you need to go to a dealer because it shout down because of a fault in the outside box there might be a black swich with a red light and if so you need to reset it look on u tube good luck
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My 2008 Sunrise 38j has probably same Norcold refrig. Went home for Christmas from Florida and came back after new year and was off and lost a bunch of food. Serveral others in the RV park had same problem and replaced with residential regrigerators. I'm too cheap and bullheaded and talking with several repairers and 2 Rv dealers found that there is a gizmo attached to the coils with wires going to the main Circuit board and it is supposed to shut off the unit if it gets too hot. The solution was to get a good magnet and hold it onto the gizmo until it clicks and the unit will then fire up. Takes about 90 seconds. It has been working ever since. Hope this helps if not I don't know what to tell you.
Frobogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Longstreet View Post
It has no power.

What have I missed?
Glen in Warden WA

Bummer, Glen. Not fun when the fridge is out.
You didn't post your complete model so I guessed with this diagram. Take a look at sheet #2. You will find the 12V wiring for the fridge at the top of the page at edge coordinates 3/D. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_151275.pdf If the 12V is out I am under the impression nothing will work.

Hope this helps.

Rick Y
Old 09-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

These Norcolds have a retro fitted overheating switch in the back. Look in the outside behind the fridge for a red light on. If so that unit is tripped and shuts off everything. Mine does when I accidentally get it wet when washing. There is a fix for resetting the switch if this is the problem.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had a '07 Suncruiser; probably the same fridge. It failed on a trip between OH and FL. Same thing, no lights and no function on propane or electric. It turned out to be a fusible link that was installed to open in case of over heating. I assume that it got overheated while driving and using the LP mode. It was easy to fix, but of course you needed the part. Norcold sent a resettable switch to replace the fusible link. We had the unit for another 6 years and it never had the issue again.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I responded with the same info, before I saw your post. A good strong magnet will reset it.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Fridge turns on for 5 seconds

Hi,
I can get my fridge to turn on for about 5 seconds, then it shuts off.
After hooking up the thing with the blinking red light, I can hear the relay close, which allows DC power to allow the fridge to turn on.
The device with the blinking red light, it attaches to a thermocouple fastened to the fins of the inside refrigeration unit?
If this is true, can I replace that element?
Glen
G Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The heat detector is attached to one of the large tubes. The wires from it go to the main circuit board and cutoff power if the unit gets overheated. It is attached to the tube by 2 U shape finger which can be pulled off easily. 2 mobile repairers didn't want to work on this because they say Norcold will not sell the device unless they call and talk with their technician who will run a series of test with them and if it faulty will send one out. The problem is they say they may have to wait as long as half hour to get to talk to the technicians. Rv dealers told me they cannot stock the part and have to go thru the same procedure as mobile repairers. I had a magnet strong enough to lift a small pry bar and it solved the problem. Hopefully I have attached a picture showing the device. The red light is not on it glows from my flashlight used for the picture. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	172258  
Frobogey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge