Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Freightliner XCS Chassis steering

Hello All
We have a new 2019 Forza 34T and the steering is very loose. It's been to the freightliner shop to have it adjusted but we just took her out for a 3 day trip and there is still about 4 inches of play.
We see posts about upgrading the bell crank and/or adding a stabilizer.
Looki g for recommendations
NSCRCRZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

One option is to take it to the FCCC Service Center in Gaffney, SC for its annual servce and get them to check the steering while you are there. They will be able to tell you if it can be corrected. Your chassis was made at the factory there.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You should be able to have that corrected at any Freightliner Service Center. Google "Freightliner Service" to find a center close to you.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Subscribed. Same issue, ~2300 miles on the odometer, rig is weighed and tire pressures set per Michelin's guide. Looking for insight on ideal toe & caster alignment specs too.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Very different carriage gut my 2008 DP with XCS chassis had a little play and wander. I told the FL Mechanic at Houston FL and when I picked it up he stated that he re-tightened all bolts in the front end. It really made a big difference.

The biggest difference was when I put a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer on it.

I don't know if they make one for your unit, but the worse you can get for calling them and asking is a "no."
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I never noticed any particular play and wander with my XCS chassis. Didn't do too much driving the first 18 months. But during the first check at Freightliner in Mount Vernon, WA, they told me, they checked alignment and retorqued every nut and bolt on the chassis.

I must be lucky, as they must have done everything they said they did.

Here I am, some 7 years later, after driving all over the country, all still seems good with the steering.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob- we have had it to Freightliner twice and they continue to say that the steering is adjusted to specs. They have called SC and got the same answer. We will make sure they checked the alignment also.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Wayne- we are considering a stabilizer. May try that before going to a new bell crank. Very disappointing in a new rig.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have you had any success in getting your steering issue fixed. Frankly I am frustrated. There Are many complaints about the steering on the XCS chassis in other rigs. I am considering sending a complaint into the NHSTA
Old 07-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Has Freightliner adjusted it to spec? Are you a new motorhome driver?

Freightliner first and make sure it is within spec. And now it is time to learn to stop oversteering your motorhome. Oversteering is the most common cause of "loose steering" and no, you should not be adding anything to your suspension at this point.

Instead, it is time to go for a drive. Adjust your seat so you are comfortable, put both armrests down and put your elbows on them - and leave them there. You are going to steer only with your hands and wrists for a while. Pick a road you are comfortable with, start driving and steering with your elbows locked down. Now, pick a point 500 - 1000 feet ahead of the motorhome and steer based on that distant point. Getting the picture? The motorhome will move around and you will make the minor corrections as needed but the big swings (loose steering) will start to disappear. Keep practicing and when you have a few thousand miles on it, then think about steering and suspension changes.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi Roger,
First, the MH has been to Freightliner twice. The mechanic has everything adjusted to spec. My husband, who has been driving diesels for years does all the driving and says this is a piece of junk.
There are many complaints over a lot of threads about this XCS chassis and the steering.
When the freightliner mechanic says he would not drive the thing, there is something wrong.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Since my post a couple months back, my steering issue was fixed by my Freightliner shop. All he did was increase toe-in, if I recall it is now either +3/16” or +1/4” OVER factory spec.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks khocke
My other half is taking it back to Freightliner and having it adjusted a little over spec. He could do it himself, but since it is still under warranty he is having them do it.
Your mechanic didn't think that was going to increase the wear on the bushings?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

He didn’t mention anything about increased wear: bushing, tire, or otherwise. But given the much better steering response I have now, I’ll accept additional wear, if any.

As an aside, he’s not a full-on Freightliner alignment shop...knowing that, I asked him for a recommendation for one (I feel lucky to have found him & have complete faith in his word and his work -Joe @ Campbell Supply in Lafayette NJ). He asked why I wanted an alignment, I explained the steering issue, he diagnosed & reset toe, and he nailed it.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks- we are close enough that we may give him a try!
Old 07-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

On my Freightliner XCS, the steering was ok at the start. At the initial Freightliner service, where they checked everything, retorqued all the nuts and bolts, and re-aligned the wheels, they said one front wheel needed a slight 1/4" adjustment.

For the next 7 years, it drove ok for me, 40k miles, all over the country, some big chuckholes, and one big 6" broken pavement drop off in an Ohio rest area (yes, I remember it!), all still drove ok.

Then at the 8 year point I replaced the tires with exact replacement Michelins, and balancing on all wheels. WOW, now it really drove nice, that balancing really made a difference in ride and steering.

Just relaying my experience with my XCS chassis. I can't say anything about anyone else's XCS without driving their RV myself.

Tags
chassis, freightliner, steering