Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
dp7
Winnebago Watcher

Forza special order

Been lurking here for awhile & decided to join.

DW & I have been researching short DPs & the Forza 34t is on our short list. The two items that are lacking are a roof ladder & windshield solar shade. Neither are listed as options on the build sheet but we have been told that they are available as special orders. Was wondering if anyone here has ordered either of these items. If so could you post a picture of the roof ladder?

After reading about the WBGO quality issues on standard & optional items, we are concerned that getting a special order installed correctly may be very unlikely. Would appreciate any insight & experience on this. TIA!
dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

DP7 -

First off, welcome to the forum! Here you will find lots of information about everything camping.

We have a Forza 34T and love it. We were also concerned about not having a rear ladder and had that as one of the items for the dealer to install. But after more research, it turns out that the way that the diesel engine is in the rear, a ladder isn't very practical. Besides, they wanted +$1200 to install it. We found a great 15ft extending ladder for under $200 that easily fits in a bay and I can use against any side to get to the roof. It is also very handy when cleaning, especially the front windshield (it is a bit tall).

As for a front solar shade, I think there are state limitations on those. Ours has the electric full shade that only comes down about a foot when the engine is on so that the driver's view cannot accidentally be obscured. You would have to have the same interlock on a solar shade, so your cost again will go up.

As for quality, yes we have had a few minor issues. As this is our fourth new RV or MH, none are unexpected. Anytime you have a house on wheels, there is bound to be something to go wrong. I would take Winnebago over Th*r any day for quality.

The 34T is a fun MH that is great to drive just about anywhere. Living in Colorado, we have had it up the mountains and took it all the way to the tip of Florida. Instead of trying to custom order these few items, I would recommend instead choosing the standard features and options that you (or your significant other) require and then shop the internet for the best deal on a rig in stock. If you are buying new, you will save thousands over custom ordering. This time of year, most of the northern dealers will deal on their inventory because they are afraid it will sit on their lot until spring. And of course you just might find a used one that is much cheaper.

Good luck on your search!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Been lurking here for awhile & decided to join.

DW & I have been researching short DPs & the Forza 34t is on our short list. The two items that are lacking are a roof ladder & windshield solar shade. Neither are listed as options on the build sheet but we have been told that they are available as special orders. Was wondering if anyone here has ordered either of these items. If so could you post a picture of the roof ladder?

After reading about the WBGO quality issues on standard & optional items, we are concerned that getting a special order installed correctly may be very unlikely. Would appreciate any insight & experience on this. TIA!
We ordered a couple "special" items on our 2013 Adventurer that weren't on the options list. Our dealer sent a "special request" form to Winnebago detailing the items we wanted. Within 3 days we got an answer back, along with the list and dealer prices.

In our case the dealer offered the special options at their cost which was about 30% below the list price.

As for what can and can't be ordered we were told by the factory rep they would install any option that was available on any other coach as long as it would physically fit in the coach we were ordering.

The power window shade is available on a number of different Winnebago products. I would believe one of them would fit in the coach you are ordering.

The programing to not allow the shade to extend beyond a specific point when the engine is running is built into the shade controller. It can be customized by the factory, the dealer, or even the consumer.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not sure if the shades are MCD. If they are, you should be able to order the sun shade from them. There is an existing "single" bracket that holds the night shade via 2 or 4 MCD clips mounted on the solid surface. If you had a day and night shade, both shades mount on a "double" bracket to the same clips holding the existing shade.
It should be very simple to order the sun/day shade from MCD on a double bracket and move the existing night shade to the empty slot in the new double bracket. If the existing shade is powered, you would also need to wire it and add a switch. A relatively simple task if you are handy.
Winnebago will do anything on a custom basis - but they are not cheap. I would call MCD and explain what you want to add to the coach and get a price for the new shade and bracket from them. I know you will be surprised. There are lots of MCD authorized dealers/service centers who could do the install for you - likely at a fraction of the Winnebago price if you are unable to do it yourself. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
dp7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you all for the feedback.

I am very concerned about the number of Winnebago quality issues being reported. Especially regarding Forza/Solei. What kind of issues are being seen on recent (last six months) Forza/Solei deliveries? Of particular interest are slide, roof & leak issues.
dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I haven't seen too many posts lately on these types of problems. The slide issues were a Lippert problem through 2015 and common to all manufacturers who used them. Winnie roofs are known to be pretty solid and leak proof. The only leaks I keep seeing are in the bays in the rain when driving.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
I haven't seen too many posts lately on these types of problems. The slide issues were a Lippert problem through 2015 and common to all manufacturers who used them. Winnie roofs are known to be pretty solid and leak proof. The only leaks I keep seeing are in the bays in the rain when driving.
I agree with the comments made from the other Forza owners.

As a "new" (3 months ago) owner of a 36G, I expected to find a few things which needed fixing, and I wasn't disappointed in that aspect. Some issues I fixed myself, and others I made a comprehensive list. A local dealer took time to go over the coach with me to mark each item so that they wouldn't miss anything. I was very impressed (since they did not sell me the coach) that they would be so attentive, and that they fixed all the problems I listed, and checked back later with me as they wanted to make sure I was completely happy. That is the service we all want and expect.

I say, find the best deal you can and go for it!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Who was your "local" dealer - thanks
gfmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I actually purchased mine at a show in Phoenix and got a great price. Not sure who you can get up in the north cold country, but do a bit of looking here at the forum and search online and I am sure you will get lots of opinions on the best dealer. My recommendation is choose the layout/model/options that you want, then search for the dealer/seller for the best price.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmii View Post
Who was your "local" dealer - thanks
The dealer I purchased our Forza from was General RV in North Canton, Oh. Great folks, very personable, and the service department was very helpful while I had to transfer everything out of our Navion over to the Forza.

The service manager there knew the folks at the Camping World in my home town, so he called them after I spoke to him about some things I needed to have fixed. I went to CW in Roanoke, VA the week after we purchased it with a short list of things I found. I met a fantastic service writer there, Mr. Ellis Barmore! He was meticulous, and made sure all of my concerns were documented, and that they did fix them. I was very pleased with their professionalism...
Old 02-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
I actually purchased mine at a show in Phoenix and got a great price. Not sure who you can get up in the north cold country, but do a bit of looking here at the forum and search online and I am sure you will get lots of opinions on the best dealer. My recommendation is choose the layout/model/options that you want, then search for the dealer/seller for the best price.
Dittos on that advice, as that is exactly what we did when we purchased our 36G.