Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Forza 38R - Good choice?

Any 38R owners here? Considering purchasing a 2014. Does anyone know the CCC of that model? Pros/Cons?
loricofne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricofne View Post
Any 38R owners here? Considering purchasing a 2014. Does anyone know the CCC of that model? Pros/Cons?
38R is a great choice. The only thing better would be a 38W which is the new edition of the same (sort of) floor plan. The W has the kitchen on a slide and when the kitchen is out there is much better seating with the drivers seat as a lounge seat. Also, the tv is moved out a little and the 1/2 bath now becomes a full bath.

Low acquisition cost for a DP
Good hp for the weight
Good storage
Good handling
Roomy inside
Has w/d
Has residential fridge
Has gas stove (a minus for some, a plus for others)

You'll love it.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is my opinion. A coach with the kitchen located in the front makes the centrally located living/TV area too dark, especially with the heavily tinted side windows Winnebago uses.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

Add to that, it eliminates the usefulness of the cockpit chairs as lounge chairs when you spin them around.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Also on that model year the hot water heater does not have a by-pass. With some of the issues I've had I got one installed for free.
Reality96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2014. The two happiest days were when I bought it and when I sold it. Seriously underpowered even on Florida hills. Air conditioner units are pretty noisy. Lots of rattles going down the road. I put Koni shocks and safe t steer plus on it which helped. Slides are known for frequent serious failures. All that said its a good bang for the buck on an entry level.

Southwest Florida
2016 Dutchstar 4369
Old 08-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricofne View Post
We have a 2016 36G and I can tell you that the HP is adequate.

All Forza's have been prone to slide issues. I would inquire if there has been any slide issues and if they have been addressed.

There is a Facebook page solely dedicated to the Forza owners https://www.facebook.com/groups/347877592058932/

There is a ton of great info there.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I was talking to someone with a solei that is so pissed. Her mh has been at the dealership for five weeks and Winnebago still haven't shipped all the parts. These units are notorious for slides failing. One of the major reasons we got rid of ours.

Southwest Florida
2016 Dutchstar 4369
Old 08-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Buyers demand slideouts yet they are the #1 problem at Winnebago. Just look at the Schwintek slide poll. Seems like slide troubles would take all the fun away from owning a 38R or any MH truthfully. I'm in the market for a new MH but scared senseless. I don't have a tolerance for such problems.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #10

As stated before, I don't believe Winnebago uses Schwintek on any of their MHs anymore. I don't know about Tiffen or the others.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
As stated before, I don't believe Winnebago uses Schwintek on any of their MHs anymore. I don't know about Tiffen or the others.
I have Lippert slides on my 2016 Vista 30T. I had to have my dealer adjust them because of gaps in the seals. I considered this a Winnebago problem. That is why I did not participate in the poll. Others say that Lippert owns Schwintek and the only difference is a name change. Can anybody shed any light on this? I have been holding my breath on the slides.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Per a rep from Winnebago, they have switched to a new company for slide mechanism. (2017 and forward). The new company has patents that other companies do not have access to. The new system should greatly reduce problems, knock on wood. I want 2017 because of this, dealers are closing out 2016 but look first to make sure it isn't Schwintek pn the slide mech.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfbundy View Post
I have Lippert slides on my 2016 Vista 30T. I had to have my dealer adjust them because of gaps in the seals. I considered this a Winnebago problem. That is why I did not participate in the poll. Others say that Lippert owns Schwintek and the only difference is a name change. Can anybody shed any light on this? I have been holding my breath on the slides.
Schwintek is owned by Lippert, but so is Power Gear which is the 2017 replacement and Kwikee.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2014 38R with over 20k miles on it. No problems with slides, it is important to make sure the coach is level before extending/retracting the slides EPECIALLY a full wall slide! I've seen salesman open slides on a coach on uneven ground, you may get away with it a few times but eventually it will catch up and cause problems. The only problems I have had is leaks in the lower compartments, after the 4th trip I finally got them all sealed. Most was assembly errors where screws went through the wrong places and sealant not applied properly, lacking QC inspections! Other issues was support brackets on heat shield in house battery compartment, the used insufficient aluminum material. Yes a water heater bypass had to be added, and retro fit kits are in progress for the roof AC units to quiet them down. The coach is roomy and has plenty of power, you have to learn how to drive it and use the torque curve. It is smooth and drives really good, as with any coach weigh it balance the weight and properly inflate the tires! The last 3400 mile trip ranging from sea level to 8700 ft we averaged 9.6 mpg, no complaints here!! The Forza is an awesome coach for the money, a little more quality control from Winnebago would have been better but the 38R has been very livable, and throughly enjoyable.
Mahzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Well we did it! 2014 38R with 8500 miles in it. 800 mile trip home with it .
loricofne is offline   Reply With Quote