Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Forza 2014 34t Remove Baggage Door?

I need to remove a baggage door to repair/refinish. It is in storage so I'm flying blind. I had thought I'd heard the upper hinges were located behind the beltline moulding. Removing it would require breaking the paint as the sides were sprayed after it was installed? It appears that way.

Tried to find a post not long ago where someone replaced a door on a Forza. Am I full of it, or is this how it was painted?

Thanks, John
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

TarasParents, which door is it? Looks like all of the compartment doors hinge on the side.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Last two on the left. Again, it's in storage, but I need to plan ahead. Don't know if the unit itself will have to go to the body shop or can the doors come off without removal of beltline molding.

Already have the Sikkens paint blended and ready to go. Since the doors are aluminum I need a shop experienced in same. The one I prefer cannot fit the unit inside.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Unfortunately since the coach is painted after it's fully assembled I believe the paint will have to be broken to remove a top hinged door.

We have to remove and refinish a storage compartment door on our 2013 Adventurer. Last fall a piece of brush fell off a truck while we were passing around Lincoln Nebraska on I 80. It was about 6" long and 3" in diameter. It skidded down the road and under the motorhome. Unfortunately it hit a right side compartment door as it exited.

I haven't removed the door yet. According to Winnebago I need to remove the belt strip above the doors. First I have to locate and remove a screw on each end cap. Then pop the belt upward to remove it. Then the screws that hold the hinge to the body will be accessible.

I will remove the door later this spring when the weather warms. The current plan is to run a razor blade in the seam between the body and the top of the belt to break the paint and sealant. Upon replacement of the belt I will use white caulk in place of the current clear caulk.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Hikerdog, it certainly confirms my worst suspicions. Would rather not remove the beltline molding. I'll need to get it done insitu. Why did they have to construct it that way, oh yah......it's a Winnebago.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
Thanks Hikerdog, it certainly confirms my worst suspicions. Would rather not remove the beltline molding. I'll need to get it done insitu. Why did they have to construct it that way, oh yah......it's a Winnebago.
While I agree that it would be much simpler for the DIY owner to remove the door if all the fasteners were visible, I also believe the coach is much more aesthetically pleasing without a hundred or more screw heads exposed.

Keep in mind most of this type of work is done by professionals who have the training and the specialty tools to do the job.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

TarasParents, the exterior storage doors that are hinged on the side can be removed without moving the belt line moulding. All of the exterior storage doors on the Forza 34T have the hinges on the side. My coach has some doors that hinge on top and some that hinge on the side. The ones that hinge on the side definitely can be removed without taking the belt line moulding off.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hello, anyone with a Forza they can look at the hinge arrangement on the two last doors on the left side. If so, are all the hinge bolts/screws accessible with out having to remove the beltline molding?

Thank You
Old 04-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

ttt
Old 04-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Forza 2014 34t Remove Baggage Door?

The trim doesn't need to be removed to remove any of the doors on my 34T.

Come check out my Forza mods and tips with pictures thread in this Forum. [emoji1360]
MountainMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you very much for your reply. It's still in storage, but I need to plan how to get it repaired early May. I have a few personal issues to deal with from two recent surgeries, hope to regain use and strength soon.

Yes, I did review your excellent posting about your mods, very nice workmanship. When I'm able I'd like to contact you as to how some were done. I would like to do the front upper cabinet removal and add insulation. Would you pm me as to how it came apart, was it all just screw removal or more involved?

Thanks, John
Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have a 09 Journey and any of the doors that lift up, are attached to what is the bottom metal strp of the sidewall. That strip holds the hinges for the upwards opening doors as well as the screws that attach the bottom of the sidewall to the chassis. The strip is held on with clear silicone? and if you want to remove it, lift it by the bottom upwards. There is no problem reattaching it or getting it in the right place. I do not recall if there were screws at the ends.
Good luck - it is much simpler than it sounds.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

TarasParents. I have moved all my Forza mods over to the Winnebago Deisel Pusher Class A site where a lot of us Forza owners reside. Come join us over there. Several of us have insulated the front cap.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/228615...urce=typeahead
MountainMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door