Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #441
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Hi Denny,

I’m installing the middle panel with the heat/air controls I showed you, this Saturday. I spend hours and hours contemplating it, then the install usually goes better—for everything.

I’m going to bench wire all the lights and test them first, before putting it all back together.

My thought, initially, is after looking at the speedometer instrument display, is that if I stick the LED strip to the outside cowl, and shine the light in, it may produce its own reflective glare off of the clear plastic cover over the gauges. I’m going to test that first of course, because it’s the least path of resistance (frustration). If there is glare, my next thought is to unscrew the front clear plastic shield over the gauges by removing the star screws, and mounting it on the inside of the plastic window. The LED 12” strips I bought from Amazon have 3m backing tape. We’ll see...
Insofar as wiring, one of the switches I installed has an on/off and dimmer function. So I’ll wire it hot all the time, and the switch will be able to control when it’s on or off. I’ll probably use the hot red wire lead to the cigarette lighter since it’s right there, fused, and always on.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #442
Winnie-Wise

Hi Wyatt, and thanks for replying.
Nice your planning to bench test or be-able to. Remember "murphy's Law"?
Sadly I won't be able to look at this project much till I get back to Wisc. as we use the MH every week here. But I can still contemplate the direction to take; doing tests, etc, until I can have the dash torn apart for a length of time.

Along those lines, I noticed on the back of the instrument panel a series of light-green plugs, which remind me of lamp holder. Did you notice them. Wish I would have tried to undo one when I was back there to be certain if they are lamp holders or not. If they are, then the next question is, "is there a brighter bulb for it?" The panel lights are very dim and hardly do the job even at night.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #443
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Almost done

Hi Denny,

Turns out I had a day off so I finished up the project 99%. Everything is back in. I think you’re going to really like the outcome and it’s a great upgrade. You could probably pull the whole thing off in one day but you really do have to pull that center consul off and put it on the bench in order to install everything and wire it so that it’s pretty much plug and play when you put it back in.
All that’s left to do is clean up some of the wiring underneath the floorboards as I put everything in flex cable. IM using 3M tape up there so it doesn’t fall down.
I have no idea why the pictures are always upside down but that’s where it goes with this website I guess.
FYI in the picture all the dimmers are on full blast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	172788  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #444
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Forgot to answer, the lights in the back of the speedometer console are incandescent. I’ve read elsewhere that somebody replaced all of their speedometer back lights which are incandescent as well, with LED”s. When I saw his pictures, it was great at night, because there’s the dimmer built in if they’re too bright, but they did not fix the daylight issues you and I are discussing.
Personally, the dash lights are fine at night for me, it’s just the daylight glare that prohibits me from seeing clearly the front dash. This LED, as you can see in the photo, solved that issue. Installing one LED strip behind the speedometer dash, would be really easy. I went overboard to install everything at once, including the switch for the air horn, so my install was far more involved and time consuming.
Really the big deal for me, which I contemplated for two months before I had time to start the project, was where is the best place to put all these switches I ordered. I think where they ended up, was logical, and the easiest instal—if one can call it easy. Taking the time to do it right—soldering all connections,, etc. was what took more time than anything. But, hopefully I’ll avoid future issues with all the vibration in these units. Wire caps, wouldn’t cut it for longs, IMHO. At least now, I’m done. Whew...
Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #445
Winnie-Wise

Hi Wyatt,
1st of all, Great Job! Your work will be an inspiration to many. Thank you...

I don't know why pic's seem to alway end up "upside down" on this forum. Happens to me also. Are we doing something wrong? I turned your pic right side up and reposted it here. It will probably be upside down again. (yep, it was upside down again, so I deleted it)

Question: Where did you end up putting the Instrument Panel's light strip?

I've been buying Amazon's 16 foot light strips, and cutting them to appropriate size for my projects. Then just solder on new leads. I find them so handy. (found though, not to buy the el-cheapo's as they are inferior to the better ones).

Also found an RV tap-switch for dimming applications. Smaller footprint than the type you used as just on rocker switch in size. Don't know any more about them as I didn't order yet. Was thinking of replacing the bathroom SW with one to provide nite-lite effect in there.

Another unrelated question: Did you strengthen the center console as I believe YGOHOM suggested? I'm not done with that yet. I'm just using a prop between the doghouse and panel until I get back to my workshop and build some heavier brackets.

Again Wyatt, great addition and thanks again.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #446
Winnie-Wise

Tried uploading pic upside down. It remains upside down.
Tried uploading pic rightside up, and it still end up side down.

I don't get it!
Old 01-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #447
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Intent Dash Reposted

Tried Turning the photo right side up...Only way it worked is if I uploaded a screenshot of the photo. Strange...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.57.38 PM.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	172799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intent Dash.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	172800  

Old 01-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #448
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Adding lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
UPDATE: Over all a driving experience that was 8-10. I found if I didn't pay attention, I'd be going close to 70 because the handling, noise, comfort, etc was better than expected. I'd go for some clips at 55 and between 55-65 or so. I didn't use the cruise control until about 3 hours into the trip. At that point, it was a matter of some fatigue from the long day (up at 4am to fly to DAL, it was about close to 5pm by the time I hit the road to Lafayette). I hit the cruise around 61mph and holy cow if that wasn't a magic number! Semi-jetstreams were really manageable, apart from one or two truckers that like hugging the yellow line, and the overall engine performance and cabin noise was just awesome at that speed.

Stopped in Alexandria for a bit of a stretch and some caffeine and sugar. Only stop I made on the 7 hour journey home. Seating was that comfy!

Had one close call coming out of Shreveport with a pickup truck that seemed married to my blind spot. I was needing to exit and he was needing to enter the highway. He missed the memo on yielding and merging so I missed the exit. Did a exit and uturn that maybe added a mile onto the journey.

Lesson learned: take my time, know that the world is full of people who apparently have life saving brain surgeries to get to, and there'll be another chance up the road to get back on track.

Things I am marking down, that kept from being an 8 out of 10. Cab issues (dang it ford!):
First, the AC only blew hot at one point, had to shut it down and restart it to get a warm mix instead of blast furnace hot (even when cranked all the way to the left on the temp selector).
Second, ambient lighting is coming from instrumentation only. Maybe these things are driven mostly during the day, but I didn't like how dark it felt. I had a vw cc that had these really dim and pinpoint red leds that made an awesome difference in night driving. Gonna look into a similar add here I think.
Lastly and probably the most dangerous, Bluetooth connectivity. The head unit just would not stay paired with my iPhone. It was great for having my tunes, but I was also navigating with my phone, so getting the turn by turn over the speakers was helpful to keep my eyes on the road. Reconnecting is not a one click process so picking the phone up, getting the right menu selected and then selecting the right Bluetooth device was really stressful. I probably had to do that 10-12 times on the trip.

A final word on night driving up high....I had never been so panick stricken to see all the deer down on the shoulders of the highway at night. Good golly that upped my pucker factor to think of tangling with Bambi on my first voyage in the Willemium Falcon!
Insofar as the lighting, I totally agree. But I thought you had added some lights up front in the cab? I recently added several lights, in the speedometer cowl, ac cowl, and floorboards. Helps a lot with day visibility of the dash, and night visibility for everything.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #449
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Back in the saddle soon

Hi everyone, sorry it has been so long since I posted. Have spent some time working on house remodels and fixing issues and the RV has been in storage without even a visit for over 2 months but getting ready to spend a week in Nevada (49th wedding anniversary) beginning 2/9. The storage appears to have resulted in some interesting events. Remember, I am new to RV and Motorhome so each experience is a learning one for me.

After two months was glad that both the engine and the generator started with no issues and I left them running about 30 minutes while I put a latch on the pantry slide drawer to finish it off.

So, could not get Furnace to run and it was working fine on last trip in September. Was very surprised to find i had ZERO propane in both tanks and one was about half full and the other totally full when parked in storage...I did not shut the valves off so could only assume a leak. After filling both tanks and hooking up still could not get furnace to run but could smell propane inside the RV. Shut off furnace and doing the soap suds leak test found both hoses from the regulator were leaking slowly from the kinked area behind the tank attachment. Wow, wonder how long that was going on? I received two new hoses today and will hook up tomorrow and hope the furnace runs.

the other issue was with the Windshield power shade....It moved a little up and stopped...would not work at all. The manual said if power was lost need to do a limit adjustment...that was a little hard to understand and it did not appear you can actually access the wiring to do the limit adjust as described in the manual. I ran the vehicle for another 15 minutes and the house batteries read full. The shade now works perfectly again...wow!

Don't know if I told you I have now driven her 14,000 miles (the 3 long trips this summer did the trick) and the OD reads 16,220 miles. I purchased new oil filter and Mobile1 and will change the oil first time the next few days....Any pointers to make easy will be appreciated.

The worst news is I lost my 15 year friend and loyal companion Joey! I could not stand to see him deteriorate further so we put him to peaceful sleep on 12/30. I miss the little guy so much! He was my little piece of velcro...followed me everywhere and suffered from separation anxiety so we could not leave him alone either at home or in the RV as he barked constantly and made himself sick. He is waiting for me by the Rainbow bridge! This new trip will be different without him but we will enjoy the new freedom also.

I am very impressed with all the work the three of you have accomplished in December and January...will read again soon and may try a few of the improvements myself. Best to all...have a great 2020. BTW...wife and I are going on a Viking Cruise, Zurich to Paris in June!!! Trip of a lifetime!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4129(Edited).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	172803  
Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster 1139140 Front SwayBar, Roadmaster 1139144 Rear SwayBar, Rear Drag Link, Koni Shocks front and rear, Front Sumo Springs, RVI3 Brake System, BlueOX 7365 Alpha TowBar, RVI3 Battery Charge, EEEZTire-TPMS, Winegard Connect 2 4GLTE and WiFi extender,
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #450
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Welcome back!

Hi Feiter,

Welcome back. So sorry to hear the loss of your devoted friend. I call our dog, Wyatt, affectionately, my “ball and chain”, as I can only imagine anyone with a dog, can relate to humorously of course.
And congratulations to your impressive anniversary! Have a safe trip.
Lastly, the only advice I have for an oil change, if you do them yourself, was advice I received from this forum—the Fumoto valve, which replaces the standard oil drain plug in the pan. Makes future drains much easier, and less messy, as you connect a tube to the valve directly to the oil dump pan. IF, you choose to go that route, DO NOT run your engine first. Put the new Fumoto drain in first. The oil will be much less viscous, and it’s much easier to install it when it’s cool as well. Then, run the engine as you would normally prior to a oil change to get the oil out faster.
Also, get a K&M oil filter. It has a nut on it for a socket and easy removal, and IMHO, are better than stock.
One more thing, as tempting as it is to buy Mobile One in Gallon size containers, it makes pouring the oil in considerably more challenging—unless somebody here has a solution for that dilemma.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D729A0EF-DA31-42BB-B5E6-6872058C1080.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	172804   Click image for larger version

Name:	98CE74E7-6024-4D83-9114-AD1B7E771033.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	172805  

Old 01-31-2020, 08:36 AM   #451
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Tried Turning the photo right side up...Only way it worked is if I uploaded a screenshot of the photo. Strange...
Hi Wyatt,

Glad you figured out the up-side down photo problem.

Question: Where did you end up placing the light strip on instrument panel? Can't tell from the photo.

Did you strengthen the center dash panel brackets yet, so it doesn't bounce all over the place on a rough road?

Thanks
Denny
Old 01-31-2020, 03:24 PM   #452
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Intent Speedometer Placement Video

This is a link to a short video explaining where the LED LIGHT WASINSTALLED.

https://vimeo.com/388598697
Old 01-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #453
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Hi Denny,

I posted a video link to the Speedometer LED.
No, I didn’t do anything to reinforce the center console bracket, I never had an issue with it. I just added felt and rubber tape to deaden the noise. Seems fine that way...
Old 01-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #454
Winnie-Wise

Hi Wyatt,
Hey thanks for the video. Explains fully.

I guess Winn must have fixed the wimpy center dash brackets as my dash needed help. I just have it propped up with a bracket down to the dog house for now. Will beef up the brackets when I take the dash apart.

Thanks Again...
Old 02-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #455
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Did the oil change today. Thanks for your pointers and I did install the Fumoto valve and the H&N filter...boy the change was a lot more difficult than I imagined but the two installed items should fix all that.

For all those doing the change the first time here are a few problems I encountered which will allow others to be better prepared. First, there is very little clearance below the crossbar and where I steering stabilizer is installed so the oil drain pan I used would not get positioned under the oil pan and filter. Second, I had a very difficult time getting the oil filter off...same reason really...very little room to twist a filter wrench. There are two hoses right next to the filter which limit mobility. Do better planning than I did and you should be all right. The Fumoto valve combined with a 1/2 x 3/8 by 10" clear plastic hose with allow use of almost any pan or just used to carry the old oil to a dump station...the nut on bottom of filter should be easier to remove...btw, the nut is 1" so have that socket if you use the K&N filter.

Also wanted to report the two new propane hoses do not leak and I have heat and hot water again...I do smell some propane inside though...not sure why that would be and assume it will be okay for out trip next Sunday.
Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster 1139140 Front SwayBar, Roadmaster 1139144 Rear SwayBar, Rear Drag Link, Koni Shocks front and rear, Front Sumo Springs, RVI3 Brake System, BlueOX 7365 Alpha TowBar, RVI3 Battery Charge, EEEZTire-TPMS, Winegard Connect 2 4GLTE and WiFi extender,
Old 02-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #456
Winnie-Wise

Hi Wyatt,
Question: Where did you mount your Air Hones? If on top of coach, how did you fish the wiring up there?

Thx
Old 02-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #457
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Air Horn Install

https://vimeo.com/390199938

https://vimeo.com/390199938

Hi Denny,
The Hadley airhorns I purchased are for under the hood installation. You will see in the video link that I mounted them to the sheet metal shroud that is right of the radiator. There are two of these, designed I’m assuming to direct the air towards the radiator and it made a perfect place to mount the horns and the tank. I mounted the compressor on a more rigid mount which was the air intake bracket as you will see.
I also included a short video where I compared the stock horns to the airhorns. Due to the microphones attenuation built into my iPhone, it made them sound similar in decibel volume, when actually the airhorns are quite a bit louder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F8503C8F-426D-41DD-A347-A8E2526E2D93.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	172879  
Old 02-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #458
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Carefree Awning BT12 install

Has anybody installed the Carefree Awning automatic awning sensor reclining module BT12 in their unit?

As adept at I feel I am at reading schematics, our Intent coaches all use Yellow wiring for everything, so finding out which wire to connect to the BT12 is dizzying at best.
Anybody that’s attempted this, your help would be most appreciated... Thanks!
https://youtu.be/jkHyjpplZuo
Old 02-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #459
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Propane odor

Help!! Heading for Nevada tomorrow and still have pronounced propane odor inside when running hot water heater.

Do I have a problem and how to fix?

Why doesn’t propane detector go off? I tested and worked!

Please advise if anyone has had this problem and solved. FYI didn’t have problems last long trip only now after storing 2 months

R
Thanks
Old 02-08-2020, 11:33 PM   #460
Proud “No Intent” Owner

When you say you that you tested the propane/gas detector exactly what did you do?
Just trying to help you analyze this, but I need some more information.

Tags
intent