Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Allan View Post
My wife and I are planning to order a new Vista 26P. We want to create a soft comfortable ride to minimize the small sharp bumps and sways. To get the best ride, which suspension improvements should we install? We have previously had air bags on another Class A brand and liked the ride. We have read that SumoSprings are "airless airbags" which help the ride. And, I used to have Bilstein shocks which were very helpful. For a new Vista 26P: should I install: airbags (e.g. Firestone Ride-Rite on front & rear) or SumoSprings? And/or would Bilstein or Koni FSD shocks be an improvement over the factory provided shocks? Finally, should I add some kind of anti-sway bar?
Your advice will be appreciated!
Papa Allan
P.S. any other advice on setting up or choosing options for a new 26P Vista would also be appreciated!
I have a Ford F53 chassis and the best thing so far is the trac bar attached to the rearend and frame. Now I am installing the Sumosprings to stop the Walmart wobble. The new Tiffin Ford coaches have these installed on them.
shaker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

The rear trac bar works really well. Now I am installing the Sumosprings to help stop the Walmart wobble. The new Tiffin Ford coaches have these installed on them.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

We installed a Safe-T-Plus & very highly recommend it.

https://youtu.be/kBezXJkB9s0
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Ford F53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Allan View Post
My wife and I are planning to order a new Vista 26P. We want to create a soft comfortable ride to minimize the small sharp bumps and sways. To get the best ride, which suspension improvements should we install? We have previously had air bags on another Class A brand and liked the ride. We have read that SumoSprings are "airless airbags" which help the ride. And, I used to have Bilstein shocks which were very helpful. For a new Vista 26P: should I install: airbags (e.g. Firestone Ride-Rite on front & rear) or SumoSprings? And/or would Bilstein or Koni FSD shocks be an improvement over the factory provided shocks? Finally, should I add some kind of anti-sway bar?
Your advice will be appreciated!
Papa Allan
P.S. any other advice on setting up or choosing options for a new 26P Vista would also be appreciated!
On my Ford chassis the Trac bar works really well. Now I installing Sumosprings after alot of though because the new Tiffin coaches come with them.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

On my Ford F53 chassis I used the Trac bar which really works good on the riad. Now after alot of thought I am installing Sumosprings because the new Tiffin coaches use them
Old 03-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I have a 36/37 ft'er and have done nothing for add on suspension upgrades. I love the feel and smooth ride I get with my rig as is. Maybe If I drove someone else's with some of these upgrades I may realize that I am missing something but right now Ignorance is bliss.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

"We noticed a difference once we had a 4 corner weigh and adjusted the tires to the actual weight(plus a safety factor). After we loaded up we first had a front end alignment and next critical item was the 4 corner weigh. Getting the right poundage in the tires makes a big difference in handling."

What were the recommended pressures for each tire with your weigh in. I had mine adjusted too. I have 85 in the fronts the passenger rear 88 and drivers rear 90

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Sumo's revisited

Hi all,

I had the Suma Springs added to my rig and what a remarkable difference it has made. I said I'd post the difference, if any, and it did. The difference was immediately felt. It made a remarkable difference from pre to post Sumo. Any pot hole I hit, by accident of course, and the bridge joints don't effect the ride like it use to setting up a wave transmitting thru my 35 ft 35 F Vista. I don't get a lot of sway and the trucks don't even effect me as they go whizzing by. Heading to North Carolina this summer so that will be the true test but so far, so good.

So, all in all, I've had the Steer Safe and the Sumo's installed. I have the Bilstein's already as original equipment. It doesn't sway too much so I'll hang in there with these and see how it goes.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

I was wondering about the sumosprings Was it worth he money and did u install it yourself
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

I'd say yes it was worth it.

And, no, I had them installed but after reading the installation instructions, I think I could have done it myself.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:09 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

If you do it yourself, prepare to do some frame drilling and it may require a 90 degree drill.
Right now I don't think its worth having the SUMO Springs. Get your self a set of Centramatic Wheel balancers installed, they help take the roughness out of the ride by balancing the complete axle. They made a huge difference.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I installed mine myself and definitely think they are worth the time and money.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

If you don't have built in jacks how would you lift the rv enough to fit the Sumos in. How big of a floor jack would you have to use
Old 04-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

If you don't have jacks, I think it would be better to take it to a shop. Mine is parked on concrete inside a shed. I used the jacks to lift it and I removed all six wheels prior to starting. After I finished, I had a tire company come out to remount them and torque them properly. Sumos can be installed without removing the wheels but it would be a LOT harder.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

thks