Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Floor replacement '07 Adventurer

We just finished replacing the carpet in our '07 Adventurer with Allure from Carpetmaster (we didn't use Allure in the cockpit but we did replace the carpet). Allure is very easy to install. The material "floats" and the sections have glue strips to adhere each panel with the adjoining panel. We installed it on the slides as well and so far we have seen no damage at all from the slides being extended or retracted. We are full timers so the slides have been moved many times since the Allure was installed. The outside edges of the Allure installed on the slides have to be trimmed, and we finally found something that worked perfectly. We used FRP panel edging from The Home Depot. It comes in white, and we used dark bamboo Allure, so we bought a can of vinyl paint in a matching color and used that to trim out the exposed ends.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds great David, did you place a new sub floor or was the existing floor in good shape.
Some people may like pictures.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The sub floor was in excellent condition. The only thing we had to do was make sure all the staples were removed.

Pictures are available at:

Remod pictures by piton122 - Photobucket
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Looks good. How much of a pain was it to get the couch out? Mine is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It was not very easy to remove at all because of the size of it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

That looks great. I would like to do the same thing in our adventurer.

What did you do for the edges of were the slide meets the stationary part of the floor on the coach?

Again.. look really nice..
Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bug512: The Allure that is installed on the slide overlaps the slide joint by about an inch or so so that when the slide is extended the joint between the slide and the floor is completely covered. I measured the slide to see how many panels were needed to fully cover the slide, including the 1" overlap. Then I cut a panel the width (about a 2" strip) that was necessary for the installation to extend 1" over the joint and installed that against the slide wall and tacked it to the floor with panel adhesive. After doing that I was able to use full panels on the slide outs. We trimmed the exposed edges with FRP edging strips from Home Depot and painted them with a matching color of vinyl paint.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

David,

That looks really nice. I'm looking forward to putting Allure Ultra in our new-to-us FW as soon as the rotten floor is fixed.

liz
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thank, can you take a close up picture of the FRP trim for us? Is it mullen or cap?

Thanks .
Old 04-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Liz.

Gene and Ginger, I tried taking a closeup but the definition just wasn't clear enough. If you will go to the following web address you can see the trim we used much more clearly.

Marlite FRP Wall Panels Trim & Installation

Look at the section labeled trim moldings and look at the one labeled M370 edge. That is what we used and painted it with a vinyl paint.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, great information... We are going on our first trip this weekend and I know the dogs (and us) are going to get the carpet dirty.

This flooring project will need to get done this year.

So if you are in the New Jersey area for a weekend let me know.. I will run out to the Home Depot quick and get some supplies.

Thanks again..
Old 04-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Great looking floor and I bet you enjoy getting the couch out. Much more open floor plan then with the couch.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Really nice. Do you consider yourself an experience woodworker? I'm asking because I am not and I keep holding off tackling this. I probably ought to just go and rip the carpet out and then I'll have to do it.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Magumba, it not only looks much bigger without the couch, you really do have much more room.

Belgique, Not really. The most important thing is to take measurements of the floor area to determine how the planks will lay out across the width and length of the floor. You don't want to end up with one side of the floor having a full width panel and the opposing side having only a 3" piece, for example. Same thing with the length. You might have to start out a row with a shorter length so that when you reach the end of the row you are not left with a very short piece on the end.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Hello Dave, just wondering how the flooring is holding up?

Let us know and if you would have done anything different.

Thanks !
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys. We are pleased with the floor overall. The slides scratched some of the flooring, but it is not too noticeable except in one spot, and I replaced the affected panels (2 of them) in about 10 minutes. The large slideout on the driver's side malfunctioned (the glide rail came out) and we went to Forest City and had Winnebago replace it. The new glide rail they installed is designed for a hard floor surface instead of one designed to run over carpet, and it does not scratch the floor at all (wish I could afford to have the other two glide rails replaced, but the slideouts must be removed to do that).

I think I remember that some who replaced carpet with Allure or a laminate resurfaced the glide rails with carpet or something so the slide wouldn't scratch the surface, and I think that is a good idea if it can be done fairly easily at a reasonable cost.

Having to replace 2 panels in two years because the slide out scratched them is, to me, no biggy.

Hope this helps....
Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thanks it does help a lot. We are renovating the kitchen in our home and are using Congoleum Air Step Advantage (being installed today !) , while I do not think I would put this in the motorhome it is great to see what others have used and how they are holding up over time.

Thanks again for your input on the project and follow up.