Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Thanks for many of you here for your suggestions, photos and other valuable assistance. I finally got the 26" Samsung LCD TV installed in my Journey. My year model had the 25" square CRT TV so the metal cage was just not set up to accomodate the wide format TV's of today. I had to cut about 2" from the sides of the metal frame to accomodate the new TV. I mounted a plywood board in the opening to which I attached a flat screen TV bracket. I drilled two 2" holes in the plywood for easy routing of the coax, component cables and power cord. Once the TV was hung, I was able to reinstall the original wood trim. I did add some oak to the top of the trim opening.

I already has this TV in the stick house (and the DW wanted a 32" LCD to replace it) so I was determined to use it. It does have digital over-the-air broadcast ability. The Samsung has a V shape at the bottom which made the install a bit more interesting. You can see from the second photo that I have a space below the TV. I finished that with some oak plywood and some textured black rubber. I am not completely satisfied with this and may attempt to fully enclose this space. I thought I might use it as a shelf for the remotes.

Finished (I guess) product:

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thanks for many of you here for your suggestions, photos and other valuable assistance. I finally got the 26" Samsung LCD TV installed in my Journey. My year model had the 25" square CRT TV so the metal cage was just not set up to accomodate the wide format TV's of today. I had to cut about 2" from the sides of the metal frame to accomodate the new TV. I mounted a plywood board in the opening to which I attached a flat screen TV bracket. I drilled two 2" holes in the plywood for easy routing of the coax, component cables and power cord. Once the TV was hung, I was able to reinstall the original wood trim. I did add some oak to the top of the trim opening.

I already has this TV in the stick house (and the DW wanted a 32" LCD to replace it) so I was determined to use it. It does have digital over-the-air broadcast ability. The Samsung has a V shape at the bottom which made the install a bit more interesting. You can see from the second photo that I have a space below the TV. I finished that with some oak plywood and some textured black rubber. I am not completely satisfied with this and may attempt to fully enclose this space. I thought I might use it as a shelf for the remotes.

Finished (I guess) product:

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your installation looks very nice and professional. I would make one suggestion when it comes to the space below the TV. If you can find a way to 'cover' the space with dark breatheable cloth, you would be helping with the heat build up behind the set.

The front of the coach gets very hot when in direct sunlight. We've found a lot of heat behind our LCD since we've opened up the cabinet. I used a dark grey foam material (like that on the front of speakers) to cover my gaps and help with air flow. I also replaced the glass in the CD/DVD/Directv cabinet to allow for air exchange.

The shelf is a nice benefit when you're setup at your site.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
Your installation looks very nice and professional. I would make one suggestion when it comes to the space below the TV. If you can find a way to 'cover' the space with dark breatheable cloth, you would be helping with the heat build up behind the set.

The front of the coach gets very hot when in direct sunlight. We've found a lot of heat behind our LCD since we've opened up the cabinet. I used a dark grey foam material (like that on the front of speakers) to cover my gaps and help with air flow. I also replaced the glass in the CD/DVD/Directv cabinet to allow for air exchange.

The shelf is a nice benefit when you're setup at your site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good suggestion Jim. You can't see in the photo, but I was careful to leave an opening under the TV. Air can be pulled from the lower front and up behind the set.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Good job Gary!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I like it. Does that Samsung have front controls? The top and side mounted controls are tricky to deal with on LCD installations. Of course, you always have the remote, but sometimes...
I like the idea of using the shelf underneath for remote storage. Maybe felt line the space and put a trim strip lip on the bottom to keep stuff from sliding out?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Another nice looking install and upgrade. Like yourself I to was very thankfull for all the great tips and pictures from others which helped me with my installs. Don't stop there Gary, just head to the bedroom for the next upgrade.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Great job. I am in the process of doing the same to our coach and hope it turns out as good as yours.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Smlranger, just keep an eye on the TV for the first few hundred miles. I installed one in my Journey on a standard LCD bracket and found that the set screws would work themselves loose after awhile. I finally had to remove the TV and reinforce the bracket so that it wouldn't bend when tightening the set screws. Nice job!

Steve
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Great install Gary ---
Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sammie:
Smlranger, just keep an eye on the TV for the first few hundred miles. I installed one in my Journey on a standard LCD bracket and found that the set screws would work themselves loose after awhile. I finally had to remove the TV and reinforce the bracket so that it wouldn't bend when tightening the set screws. Nice job!
/QUOTE]

Sammie, I wondered how the two screws on my bracket would hold. I had considered putting some Loctite on the threads. I'll keep an eye on them.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

smlranger, I actually had to fabricate some small L brackets out of angle iron and tack weld them next to the original set screw brackets. Then I tapped the new brackets for 1/4 - 20 set screws. The original brackets would just bend when I tried to tighten them tighter.

Steve
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
KIX
Winnebago Master

Very nice result especially considering the V bottom TV.