Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Busycakes

First Trip In New Sightseer

Have gone the route from Pop-up to Class C to Class A (first Winnie) in 4 year span. Pop-up was caught on fire at storage yard by my storage neighbor while working on his unit and insurance covered the loss. Jumped too quickly to Class C. not enough space for us.

Found a gently used garaged 2012 Sightseer 36V and made the jump to the A.

Don't recommend picking up a new RV in Ohio in February. Quite the adventure given the weather driving back to Oklahoma. A not soon to be forgotten initiation into driving a Class A with a toad.

Taking it out this week on our first shakedown trip to South Texas.

Anxious to get oriented to the new unit and do some serious RVing.
Busycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations and welcome!

:welcome:
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new MH. Post pics when you can in the new rig show off section.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Considering the trip home, I think you already had a "shakedown" cruise
Assuming the previous owner did this anyways, I would weigh your new MH so the tires can be set right.....was a front end alignment done by PO?
Enjoy your trip!!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busycakes View Post
Have gone the route from Pop-up to Class C to Class A (first Winnie) in 4 year span. Pop-up was caught on fire at storage yard by my storage neighbor while working on his unit and insurance covered the loss. Jumped too quickly to Class C. not enough space for us.

Found a gently used garaged 2012 Sightseer 36V and made the jump to the A.

Don't recommend picking up a new RV in Ohio in February. Quite the adventure given the weather driving back to Oklahoma. A not soon to be forgotten initiation into driving a Class A with a toad.

Taking it out this week on our first shakedown trip to South Texas.

Anxious to get oriented to the new unit and do some serious RVing.
Very nice, congratulations! Where you going to stay at in South Texas?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Congrats and hope you enjoy many great adventures. Stay in touch.......
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi

Busycakes - Nice looking coach. I like the gold paint. Makes it POP. Have a safe and enjoyable trip to "The Lone Star" state. Take lots of pictures and keep a journal, you can look back 10 years from now and go "man that was a fun trip".

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Busycakes

We're staying in Garner State Park north of Uvalde, Texas. Nice park for a state park.

Averted disaster Saturday, barely.

We're sitting outside with our friends who came along in their RV with us when she noticed smoke coming out of the exterior water heater vent. The propane line had a slow leak and had caught on fire burning off the line connector. It had obviously been smoldering for several hours. Fire extinguisher applied and looks to be minimal damage to propane supply line and connection to water heater. Water heater was on electric at the time so leak had to have caught fire earlier that morning when I turned the water heater on to propane to see it was working.

So two days into the 2 week trip we're without propane until repaired.

Have scheduled into service next week.

Going to have major serious "discussion" with RV dealer where we purchased once we get home. Turns out the previous owners when trading the unit in had not winterized the Water heater by draining it. The dealer stored it outside not knowing this and it was ruined. So the dealer installed a new water heater and in the process did something wrong, thus the fire.

Could have turned out much worse than being just an annoyance and inconvenience for which we're thankful.

We're loving the Sightseer and are enjoying the trip dispute everything. It also helps our friends are here with their unit so we can cook meals with them. Otherwise we'd probably be headed home.
Busycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Whew! That could have been bad! I'm glad that you have a great attitude and are enjoying the RV anyway! I'll look up your state park in Google Earth and imagine all of you guys having a wonderful time. We're still home in Iowa with the RV still winterized and in storage. Getting antsy to get on the road!

PS-Looked at it in Google Earth street view and that is a very nice campground. Lots of space between sites, trees and the river close by. I'm marking that one for future reference!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like you averted a major disaster. Glad you were able to catch it early and get it handled before any major damage was done. Have you contacted the selling dealer to see if they will stand behind their work? Hopefully they will get the repairs handled properly for you.

Mine is still sitting alongside the house winterized. Our maiden 2014 trip is this Thursday. Forecast is to remain above freezing from now until we leave. Heading outside this morning to de-winterize to clear the antifreeze from the lines. I'll then blow the lines with air just in case. You know, the weatherman is not always right. We'll put water in the tank just before we leave.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote