Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fiberglass Roof

What can you use to coat the roof and edges on my 2004 Chevy Winnebago Fiberglass roof?
Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You're asking two different questions:

1. Other than sealing the vents, edges and other penetrations, the roof doesn't need to be coated but, if you want to protect it, you can paint it with a good grade of marine "topside" paint intended for fiberglass boats.

2 . The edges are another issue altogether and there are numerous postings on this forum about how to do this. The part # for Winnebago's recommended sealant for this cross references to Manus Bond 75 AM, which is available from a number of sources including Amazon. In addition, many of us apply a strip of Eternabond tape to further protect the integrity of the roof edge joint. Manus Bond 75 AM and Eternabond is also appropriate for sealing your vents, other roof penetrations and the front and rear end cap joints.

Here's a typical thread on the roof edge:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...nel-59701.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I just have the roof washed and waxed when I'm down in Mexico. Inexpensive and makes it look good. Not sure it does much of anything to protect the roof even though the wax is UV resistant. Than again, not sure the roof even needs protection.

As far as the edges go, when the factory installed bead of caulking started peeling off, I just helped it and then replaced it with 2" Eternabond along both sides of the rig. Two years now and still holding fast. And no maintenance to do. Here's my blog article about it: Roof Edges...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
What can you use to coat the roof and edges on my 2004 Chevy Winnebago Fiberglass roof?
2004 Winnebago WHAT? Adventurer, Chieftain what? The reason I ask is, what you use for securing/sealing the roof-to-cove gutter is different, for different coaches. Full body painted coaches use Silicone. Where as, non full body painted coaches use a different sealant/caulk/adhesive. If you check out the link below, you'll get all the answers you need. The company is called Lichtsinn RV and they are about 3 blocks from the Winnebago factory. They have all the needed data for correct applications, for all Winnes.
Scott

https://www.lichtsinn.com/webcast-ar...maintenance-rv
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
2004 Winnebago WHAT? Adventurer, Chieftain what? The reason I ask is, what you use for securing/sealing the roof-to-cove gutter is different, for different coaches. Full body painted coaches use Silicone. Where as, non full body painted coaches use a different sealant/caulk/adhesive. If you check out the link below, you'll get all the answers you need. The company is called Lichtsinn RV and they are about 3 blocks from the Winnebago factory. They have all the needed data for correct applications, for all Winnes.
Scott

https://www.lichtsinn.com/webcast-ar...maintenance-rv
Good response, but I'd like to clarify for the OP and others that they shouldn't use just any silicone sealant, only that specified by Winnebago. There's a wide range of silicone sealants and they're formulated for different purposes and have significantly different properties.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

A reminder. You CAN'T just put more silicone caulk on top of the old silicone caulking. You MUST get all the old silicone off before applying new caulk. It is a real chore to get ALL the old caulk off.

I just did this on our new-to-us 2006 Journey. Did a lot of scarping and then cleaning with acetone to get the last of the silicone off.

Since this is a problem area on most all Winnebago's I did NOT use silicone to reseal the edge.

I know that BobC is very emphatic that "silicon" is the only thing you can use to reseal (other than Eterabond), I have never subscribed to that. The material for the roof is just fiberglass and aluminum. Lots of stuff besides silicone adheres very well to fiberglass and aluminum and stays as flexible as silicon or probably even more flexible than silicon.

To me one of the advantages to using something that is NOT silicone is that when (if?) you need to reseal or touch up the caulk is that you don't have to get every last bit of it off before adding new sealant.

Keep in mind that the "when" you need to reseal is most likely. If silicone really did the best job you would not be doing this reseal business.

My personal choice is Dicor. I used non-leveling Dicor to reseal the roof edge on my Journey. I'll know in a couple of years how well it holds.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
1999 chieftain 33

Marine 5200 sealant works great
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwatson View Post
Marine 5200 sealant works great
3M Marine 5200 is intended for "permanent bonding" so you don't want to use it on vents and other items that may need to be removed for repair or replacement:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...5200/?N=500238

Although nothing is truly permanent and fixtures mounted with 5200 can be removed with proper care, as with deck hardware on boats, most of our fixtures are plastic and our roof fiberglass is only a couple of mm thick. Both can be easily damaged when attempting to remove the fixture if 5200 was used.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
I know that BobC is very emphatic that "silicon" is the only thing you can use to reseal (other than Eterabond), I have never subscribed to that. The material for the roof is just fiberglass and aluminum. Lots of stuff besides silicone adheres very well to fiberglass and aluminum and stays as flexible as silicon or probably even more flexible than silicon.
Just to clarify, my preference is to use sealants that are specified by Winnebago in their sealant call-out sheets, not that it should only be silicone-based. If the specified sealant is a form of silicone, I'm presuming Winnebago had a reason for it. If it's urethane based, there's probably a reason for it.

One of the variables is the degree of adhesiveness necessary. In some cases, high adhesiveness is desirable, while in others, it's not (see my previous comment about 3M Marine 5200).

If one understands all this and chooses their sealant carefully there are many options that will work as well or better than Winnebago's specified sealant. For example, one that I've used since my boating days is Boat Life's Life Seal, which is a hybrid silicone/polyurethane sealant. Note that its tensile strength is 290 psi vs. 5200's 900 psi.

Tags
roof