Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fault Code retrieval

Hello, I am looking for the method of retrieving the equivalent of OBD2 fault codes from my 2007 Tour, cummins engine. I know with many vehicles it is possible to do this through the dash interface and it appears the Freightliner trucks have that capability... do the RVs with Freightliner Chassis have this ability as well?

thanks, D
Denis N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would love to be able to read codes off my dash display, but got an Oklahoma salute from the freightliner mech I asked. If there is a way, please share. Plus you need the updated program which translates the code.

In the meantime, a friend gave me his old hand held. I believe it is the below, carried by the big A.
FCar F502 heavy duty truck handheld code reader/scanner

It does what it says it will do and works on my cummins. Can't say it is a major value added addition to my toolbox. But it does allow talking points with the repair facility.

I guess it's greatest value to me is real-time temp monitoring when we are rolling. Our gauges are analog and read a little high. Nice to plug this in and get digital temp readouts.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Get a ScanGauge-D and it will display the codes on the J-1939 bus on the Cummins engine. I have a chassis built in 2007 and it uses that bus. Suggest you verify that your engine has the same bus. You might also call Freightliner RV line and ask ifthe code is displayed in the LBCU. They will also interpret any codes you might have and advise as to their severity/urgency.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote