Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Emergency foot brake adjustment

On my '97 Adventurer 34 (Chevy P30) I can see where to adjust the emergency brake cable (the pedal goes all the way down without feeling any resistance) by the rear end of the transmission but I cannot see how to actually get hands and tools in there to do so. I also need to adjust the autopark cable but that is much easier to get at. Any suggestions on reaching the EB cable adjustment? Before I do all that, I should first check the brake shoes to see if there's anything left. All of this however will likely wait until spring to work on.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

With spring approaching and another long trip with it, I'll need to get at this. Any suggestions beyond taking it to a shop? I should be able to do it myself if I can somehow reach the adjuster. Whether replacing pads or not, I will likely need to adjust the foot brake cable.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I finally got the brake shoes adjusted (after checking for excess wear, still good for a while) so now the autopark brake will hold but the foot brake still goes all the way down before it can usefully engage the parking brake. I can reach the cable adjustment for it but not well enough to get tools on it to adjust. How is this done without removing the exhaust and/or dismounting the brake levers under the floor?
Old 07-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

as i guess you know, but the parking brake and auto-brake are one and the same.

there is a junction where the foot parking brake joins the auto-brake system, there is some adj there, hardish to get to, follow auto-brake cable and maybe can see this junction.

the junction is where you should be able to tighten cable enuf for decent parking brake - if not it gets a bit harder and time consuming.

Then, to adjust/tighten a lot you may have to shorten the foot brake cable, it needs one (2 to double clamp cable - suggested!) of those small cable clamps you can buy at h/w store.

likely you need to remove the driver seat to get to foot brake mechanism unless you have a drivers door.

personally this is the ONLY useful thing for a drivers door, i have one and hate it - nothing but rattles, but can access fuses easier !!

the orig foot pedal cable uses swagged ends (pieces of lead), you will need to cut cable ends and pull cable tighter and use those small clamps to make foot brake nice and tight - but would also make that junction have some adjustment left.

I would look the 'cable cutting process' up elsewhere, with pictures and such, p30 chassis are INfamous for bad auto-brake/parking brake mechanisms, they do work but newer systems have improved it - easier location of all parts !!

GL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ukf View Post
I finally got the brake shoes adjusted (after checking for excess wear, still good for a while) so now the autopark brake will hold but the foot brake still goes all the way down before it can usefully engage the parking brake. I can reach the cable adjustment for it but not well enough to get tools on it to adjust. How is this done without removing the exhaust and/or dismounting the brake levers under the floor?
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, emergency brake, parking brake