Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Ellipse Ultra

Whenever I fill up the fuel tank the fuel vomits out just as the nozzle kicks off. I've tried slow fill, holding the handle and waiting and most of the trick I know.

Does anyone else have this issue? It'd aggravating fueling up. I expect to get it on my feet at a truck stop, but quite often it spits all over me and the side of the coach.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!
stony30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had a rig that did the same. The issue went away by filling at the auto pumps.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2012 Ellipse with the same issue. There are no real remedies that I've found. Here's what I do to mitigate the mess:

1) I stack several paper towels under the nozzle to cut down on the splash
2) When I get within 10 gallons of where I think it will cut off, I slow the pump to the slowest notch and listen for a change in sound at the filler. After several fill ups you'll get a good idea of how much fuel you'll take.

These steps have really helped. Several months ago I was filling at a new Pilot in Northern California, all of the pump nozzles had a plastic spring loaded insert that filled the gap in the filler neck. This really solved the "splash" issue. Wondering if this is a California requirement?
bam565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Same issue with our Journey. What I've done is fuel from 1 side only and have the nozzle set to the slowest fill notch, and listen closely and when I hear it start to gurgle, I stop pumping fuel and wait a 10-20 seconds and then fuel again listening for the gurgle again, repeat procedure 2-3 time and call it close enough to full.
The issue is the the fuel hose between the tank and cap is almost level with no enough slope. If you were to fill the tank to the top fuel will run out the hose.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Yeah, I have done all the above, with exception of the paper towels. I too think the hose is level and therefore when it's full, it's FULL.

When I tried to go at the slowest setting one time it made for a embarrassing moment, it did not turn off immediately. I was washing the windshield and heard the splashing, went to investigate and it was running.

I have resorted to just standing there for now and the wifey doing the windshield. I'll try the paper towel thing, I like that.

I wish I could easily get into the car lanes, but at 43' with a tow, it's more trouble than it's worth. The few truck stops I find with a RV lane are nice even though they are a little smaller.

Thanks for the ideas!
stony30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ellipse Ultra

Maneuvering into car pumps is very doable. Most of my fueling is that way with my 42 and toad. My pictures were used in this article
http://rvlife.com/accessing-fuel-sta...#comment-25988
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It is in your Ellipse's handbook (the thin one). Tells how to avoid your situation.

We only use the auto diesel pumps also with our 2012 Tour and tow vehicle. It is not hard to do and generally diesel is located on the end(s) pumps. A 60 degree wheel cut allows easing into what the mind says is a tight spot.

Please note that we have bypassed refueling stations due to poor in/out situations.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

A couple of tips:

Part of the problem is that diesel fuel can be foamy, and as mentioned, with little drop from the fill inlet to the tank, and at the flow rate at a truck island, that problem gets worse. I open the fuel cap on the other side to help just for an additional vent.

Keep track of your mileage, so you know about how much you need, and more importantly, when you need to start listening closely.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Smile

I had the same fuel vomit problem with my 2015 Tour. It would also continue to spew and barf down the side of the coach after the fill up, it did not matter if it was parked or moving. I stopped into the Freightliner dealer to buy two new caps and asked the parts counter person if I could get them under warranty....He took off to the back of the shop and came back with "I found out this is a known problem". Freightliner pulled the front skirts and replaced the fuel necks from the filler cap to the tank. Problem solved. Check with Freightliner, it has been my experience that the only problems that get fixed are the ones you point out.