Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ellipse/Tour owners have this happen?

I own a 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD. A peculiar thing happens while I'm driving. I have the control panel for the hydraulic leveling system OFF (panel is dark). Every few hours I hear beeping noises, and the panel lights up. The jacks don't deploy (thank God), but the system just appears to wake up and beeps to let me know. I just reach over and turn it back off and drive on.

Just wondering if this is normal, anyone else have this happen? Seems strange to me.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hasn't happened to me - and I sure don't think its normal. How about pulling the control panel and checking the security of the connections. Suspect your worst nightmare would be a bag deflation with jack deployment - and I'm not sure that the internal safeguards would cover this situation ...
Old 04-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it. I didn't think it was right. I'll take a look and also probably give Lippert a call, see what they think.

Anyone else ever hear of this anomaly?

W.D.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On our HWH system the manual says not to turn (press) off when they retract. The system will shut itself off and remain in a position to prevent hydraulics from building pressure. Not sure what kind of system you have.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
On our HWH system the manual says not to turn (press) off when they retract. The system will shut itself off and remain in a position to prevent hydraulics from building pressure. Not sure what kind of system you have.
Mine is the Lippert system. But I believe you may have possibly hit on something there. I will review my manual once again. The two systems may have that in common, and by shutting it off I may be confusing it.

Thanks,
W.D.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I own a 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD. A peculiar thing happens while I'm driving. I have the control panel for the hydraulic leveling system OFF (panel is dark). Every few hours I hear beeping noises, and the panel lights up. The jacks don't deploy (thank God), but the system just appears to wake up and beeps to let me know. I just reach over and turn it back off and drive on.
Just wondering if this is normal, anyone else have this happen? Seems strange to me.
Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225
The panel for my RVA leveling jack system will occasionally do that if/when the fluid level in the reservoir is low.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post

Best regards,
W.D.
On some occasions, like traveling for mile after mile over the thumps of I-5, I will have a jack drop a bit. The system will alarm and the "Jacks Down" light comes on. I no-longer panic. I simply have DW push the "Store" button and the system gets happy and quiet once again. I never manually power it off. When my key is on the system is on.

Let us know what you find.

Rick Y
Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Mel and Rick,
It has occurred to me I may have a couple of things happening here. One, I'm confounding the system by shutting it off while driving. Kind of funny, never thought that would be an issue, how can anything go haywire if it's off right? weird.

The other is, I do have to check my reservoir. I have now noticed a bit of a leak on one rear jack (this would fit with Mel's comment). Hydro oil has collected on the jack pad since I've been stationary for a time now. Probably a loose connector. Last year the rear jacks were replaced under warranty because they were not holding position (coach dropped a quarter inch at a time several times a day with a jolt). The new ones work correctly. The coach is holding "jacks down" position without slipping despite the leak. But if low on fluid it may have something to do with this mystery also.

I'll report what happens soon as I can test things out over next few weeks. Won't be driving it for a while yet.

Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it.
W.D.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

There is no thrill like going down the interstate at 65mph and have the jack light come on. WTH. Right on I-40 in OKC.

Before doing anything serious check the fluid level!! It happened to me and the reservoir was a full pint low. Now adding the fluid requires thought?
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote