Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool Electric step not working, 2003 Journey

Upon opening up the door in my rig at storage, the step started going in and out by itself, in either switch position. Once I started the engine, it settled down in the "in" position after closing the door. When I got home, the step remained "in", and there it has stayed for 3 days, in either switch position. It's a long way up, and down, now!!

Surely someone has experienced this and can help me trouble-shoot. Maybe the switch, or a connector is bad?

Thanks in advance for any help. ....Doug 2003 JourneyDL 36GD
p00ches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I've read most step problems are caused by a poor ground. I don't know if that is the problem with your steps but it should not be hard to follow the wires looking for a ground connection.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Kwikee

Do a search on this site for 'Kwikee' and you'll see hundreds of threads about them. You'll find lots of good information.

What you describe is a common problem.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Most likely as previous posts have said, but also check the magnetic reed switch near the bottom of the door hinge side, and magnet on the screen door. When the screen door is closed, the magnet should be very close to the reed switch, and parallel to it. They do not have to touch, but shouldn't have much of a gap between them; maybe 1/8th to 1/4".
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00ches View Post
Upon opening up the door in my rig at storage, the step started going in and out by itself, in either switch position. Once I started the engine, it settled down in the "in" position after closing the door. When I got home, the step remained "in", and there it has stayed for 3 days, in either switch position. It's a long way up, and down, now!!

Surely someone has experienced this and can help me trouble-shoot. Maybe the switch, or a connector is bad?

Thanks in advance for any help. ....Doug 2003 JourneyDL 36GD
31 sounds like you are not plugged in during storage. A low voltage condition will cause the steps to "hunt". Try loosening the three 5/16 screws in the gearbox cover. Move the step slightly and retighten the screws. You have to let the cover drop down enough to free the gears.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There is probably more info than you need in the following but there is a troubleshooting guide there.

This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps.

Trouble shooting chart HERE

There is a trouble shooting guide HERE

If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:

Motor

PARTS 1

PARTS 2

PARTS 3

__________________________________________________ ______________
" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20
4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE

New info in 2012
ACI Auto/Window Lift Motor (83094) | 1995 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor

For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl
Enlarge Image
Part Number: 83094

On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38
Just rplaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

And you'll start finding rain or washing your rig will cause the same problem. Unplug all plugs and spray with WD40 or preferably an electrically approved spray available at any
auto store. Done all the manual/factory troubleshooting for magnets/bad grounds, etc.
Quick fix in the field, unplug and plug back in a few times.
Don't wait too long like I did and it opened by itself into your wife's shin. That's when I fixed mine for good with the spray.
Dale R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale R View Post
And you'll start finding rain or washing your rig will cause the same problem. Unplug all plugs and spray with WD40 or preferably an electrically approved spray available at any
auto store. Done all the manual/factory troubleshooting for magnets/bad grounds, etc.
Quick fix in the field, unplug and plug back in a few times.
Don't wait too long like I did and it opened by itself into your wife's shin. That's when I fixed mine for good with the spray.
How 'bout "my" wife.....sorry about that.
One word changes it all..............

Tags
journey