Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

drivers heater woes

I am the third owner of a 2006 38J Adventurer RV and now for the first time I need to have the heat on at the drivers position. I set the control to heat and put the fan on high and no warm air comes out. I tried medium speed also. My question is how do I get acccess to the heater ducts and fan motor.
dawa106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My Winnie is rather stingy with hot air too so I set the temp control to high and then switch it to Vent. That blows hot air.

Try that.

In my old Bounder, I'd set up a floor heater with fan and dress warmly. When it got too cold, I'd run the genset which would turn on the heater. I didn't feel comfortable running the gas floor furnaces because they suck down so much propane and didn't want to run out.

Note that the government mandated Default for dash comfort systems is 'Defrost'. So check to feel if you get hot air out of the defrost vents.

Finally, I believe you have a diesel. In which case, you will have two gate valves right at the engine. These are used to turn off the water flow from the engine up to the dash heater core. They are shut off by shops to avoid having to drain those long hoses and the heater core saving antifreeze if someone changed it, it's also done because of a leak in the hose, or a leak in the heater core. And some owners do it so the AC doesn't fight with the small dribble of heated water in the heater core. So the next time you drive, let the engine temp get to normal, then open the hood and check the hoses...feel if they are hot or cold. If cold, those valves at the engine are turned off. You have to climb under the engine or on top of the engine to access them.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Can you clarify? Are you not getting any airflow from the vents, or air is flowing but it's not hot air?
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

no airflow
Old 12-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Drivers air vents have no heater airflow in 2006 Adventurer 38J gasser.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
2007 Voyage

Our 2007 Voyage has a rocker switch in the dash for low and high heat which comes through floor vents from the engine to warm up the whole rig and works great!
ensmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

A few more details are needed to cut to the chase. No air flow, so the question is if the fan is running making it a potential water or airflow problem or if the fan is not running when turned on, it may also be an electrical problem of switch, motor, wiring, etc.
First step is to decide if it is mechanical like a broken/stopped up duct or other. As RV get older, simple things like a flexible duct falling off can make for a no heat situation.
The access question comes down to what part you need to access.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I assume you can hear the fan running? Are the upper A/C vents blowing air when you have it set to AC?

When you set it to defrost, is there any air coming out of the defrost vents by the windshield?

When you set it to heat, Is there any air flow on the passenger side floor ducts or any other ducts?

Can you hear the diverter doors moving or changing position when you switch between Max AC, AC, Heat or Defrost? They are located in the Heat and A/C box under the hood, high on the passenger side. Have someone change between the settings while you stand outside listening for the diverter doors open or close. You will notice there is a small plastic 1/8" vacuum line coming from the box that goes to the drivers side. Look at that tube very closely to see if there are any cracks, leaks or has been chewed on by mice. If so, cut out the bad portion and replace it with 1/8" rubber vacuum hose from your auto parts store. It will fit tightly over the plastic tubing and won't leak.

I have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38R 8.1L Vortec W-22 that had no air flow to the heat ducts and found that mice had been chewing on the plastic tube so the diverter doors in the heater A/C box wouldn't work. About 4 foot of rubber vacuum line fixed my problem. Hope this helps!
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If your fan works and you have warm air coming out the defroster vents you most likely have a vacuum leak or a disconnected or damaged vacuum hose. As mentioned earlier, the default position (if no vacuum is available) is the defrost mode.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawa106 View Post
I am the third owner of a 2006 38J Adventurer RV and now for the first time I need to have the heat on at the drivers position. I set the control to heat and put the fan on high and no warm air comes out. I tried medium speed also. My question is how do I get acccess to the heater ducts and fan motor.

Before going too far on that first what chassis are we talking about? On a 2006 38J I believe its a WorkHorse.

Is the in-dash unit blowing any air at all and are the various fan speeds switching?

If you can hear the blower motor working and changing speeds but the control knob is not changing where the air is blowing out and most is coming out the defroster vents then it is likely a vacuum leak preventing the vacuum actuators from working. When there is a failure due to vacuum leaks the system should default to a blend with most of the air going to the defroster however that is not 100% guaranteed to happen.

Most times its vacuum leaks that impact those systems with either the hard plastic vacuum lines (these can be as small in diameter as a 12 of 14 gauge wire and be brightly colored) splitting along their length from Ozone and Sunlight or the rubber connections where the hard plastic lines are joined or fitted to devices failing.

These fail most often under the hood where they go to the AC unit or behind the front bumper where they go to plastic reservoir tanks. Sometimes they may simply have come unplugged under the flip up dashboard.

When you flip up the dashboard on its hinge (a short stick is handy to prop it up as most do not have a support rod) you should be able to see most of the vacuum actuators for the heat and defroster while under the hood on the passenger side you should see the actuator for the AC part of the system. You may have to crawl under the front bumper to follow the lines to the reservoir tanks mounted to the frame behind the front bumper. Many times there is one located in front of the passenger front tire that gets a bit beat up from whatever is being slung around in the wheel well by the tire.

The connectors are just short pieces of rubber hose available at any auto parts store in various diameters/lengths and you can cut them to whatever length you need with a razor knife or scissors to make the connections work. The plastic vacuum lines are usually available just in black locally and can be color coded if you wish with colored tape, paint, white tape with marking pens, etc. If you can't find long enough lengths or just need to replace a small section of the plastic hose just make up more spliced using rubber hose.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #11
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensmitch View Post
Our 2007 Voyage has a rocker switch in the dash for low and high heat which comes through floor vents from the engine to warm up the whole rig and works great!
I have a 2006 Itasca Meridian with a similar issue where I have heat out the dash and defrost vents fine, but when I turn it to floor vents, nothing comes out. I too, have a rocker switch on dash that I do not know what it controls. Could it be what you are referencing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker switch on Dash.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	172537  
Old 12-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The engine will deliver heat to a floor mounted grille located by the engine cover. You should have a switch on the dash board center off, up for high, down for low. This system is separate from the dash heater/AC system.
If the AC system delivered cold air to the dash outlets you should be getting hot air. Check the water lines around the front heat and AC Coil there might be a valve installed by a previous owner to shut off the hot water in summer.

If you have no air flow and the fan is running, check for an air duct disconnected both under the hood and under the dash. Luckily you have the hinged dash.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 35U Workhorse. I recently had an issue where the dash heat would not switch modes from defrost. I pulled the dog house cover and found a vacuum line had failed from age. I replaced that and the mode selection was working again. The vacuum line ran from the back of the engine out under the hood. easy to spot.

Tags
driver, heat, heater