Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Drilling Into a Brand New Vista LX 35B

We have a 2016 Vista LX 35B that we took delivery of in June. I purchased a WeBoost cell signal booster and a Wilson Trucker spring-mount antenna and want to attach the antenna to our coach and run the cable into it. This is critical for me since I will be working while my wife drives.

To test the antenna and booster, I attached the antenna to the top of the ladder and ran the cable into the master bathroom window and set it up with the inside antenna where I wanted it. It worked great and boosted the signal 20-30db. This is not how I want to set it up, I need to have this installation clean so I can use it while driving down the road.

I was originally going to set it up on the passenger side and go into the kitchen cabinet with the antenna wire, but the awning was in the way. Since I will most likely be sitting at the dinette while working, it makes sense to attach it to the driver's side and go into the cabinet above the TV.

My plan is to attach the antenna to the SIDE of the coach, just below the roof line and run the cable into the cabinet I mentioned. I have never done this before and I am skittish about this.

I can take pictures once the rain from TD Nine stops.

Some Questions

How do I know if there are any electrical, etc. lines running where I want to drill?

What screws do I use to attach the antenna bracket to the side of the coach? I am pretty sure the skin of the coach is fiberglass.

I know I will have to use some sort of sealant to plug up the holes after I drill them. I was planning on using Dicor, but any suggestions would be great.
Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you have any preexisting holes in that side of the coach that you could run the wire through?
For instance, is there an outside 'porch' light on the side of the coach? If so could you figure out a way to pull your wire through there without compromising the seal on the light?

That aside, I'd suggest some sort of a backer plate/board inside the cabinet above the TV. Then bolt through the outside to nuts and washers on the backer plate. That way you'll have enough strength to hold that antenna though all that it has to go through, without worrying about pulling screws out of the side of the coach.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Excellent Idea

This is an excellent idea. The antenna comes with a plate so the antenna can be mounted on a cylindrical "pipe". I was planning on screwing only half that plate onto the side of the coach, but I could use the back of that plate on the inside. I just have to make sure the screws are long enough, but I can always pick up longer ones.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Do you have any preexisting holes in that side of the coach that you could run the wire through?
For instance, is there an outside 'porch' light on the side of the coach? If so could you figure out a way to pull your wire through there without compromising the seal on the light?

That aside, I'd suggest some sort of a backer plate/board inside the cabinet above the TV. Then bolt through the outside to nuts and washers on the backer plate. That way you'll have enough strength to hold that antenna though all that it has to go through, without worrying about pulling screws out of the side of the coach.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I looked at the wiring diagrams for a 2015 Vista LX 35B and don't see any wires that could be running where I want to install the antenna, but I am no expert reading these things. The LED light wires run through the ceiling and I am still not 100% sure there are no wires where I will be drilling.

Does anyone have any opinion on going through the roof and into the ceiling to run the antenna cable? This was my first thought, but I have no idea how I would get into the ceiling to run the cable. Aside from taking an LED light out of the ceiling and seeing the light wires running above the styrofoam, I just don't see how to do work up there.

As yu can see, I am pretty lost. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Through the roof would be preferable. You won't be able to run the cable through the ceiling, it is solid foam except where duct and cable channels have been cut. Do you have a spot on the roof where you can penetrate into a cabinet?

I have had an external antenna, however haven't used one in years Have been all over the country and never needed the external antenna. We have a HotSpot and smart phones on Verizonwireless.

When I did do an external antenna, I mounted it on the roof over the front cabinet and then brought the cable down the window "A" frame.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I personally would avoid making holes in the roof for such an item. Drilling thru the side wall is so much safer if sealed properly. There is usually not any wires (in) the walls, but they do run wires in closed in areas along the inside of the walls that you have to be careful of.However in the roof, there is wires for the lights,ac units, speakers,etc along with the ac ducts that you have to watch for. Just my opinion.....
The comment above about running it thru the A-pillar is a very good way, as the A piller plastic trim panel on the inside can be removed for easy routing, and no holes in the roof.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

A lot of truckers still run CB radios and many of them mount the antenna on the mirror mounting arm, run the cable down the mounting arm, through the window screen area and then to the dash where the radio is. Maybe you could do something like this. Now having the antenna high enough to get good reception will be important, like you've already done with your ladder test so the choice of antenna may change too. Having the antenna on the mirror MAY or MAY not create a whistling sound while traveling down the road. You could test it first before doing permanent install. I don't think it would be I'd test it first.

I would also maybe PM "JohnRR", a Community Administrator on this site. This guy is incredible when it comes to ideas like this. He has tackled many projects such as these.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote