Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I think I've seen just about every msg. the screen can print out: from !Stop Engine, Wait to Start (while moving), ABS, System Voltage thresholds, Ck Transmission... Lost Shore Power, Winne thought bad ATS switch, as Gen wouldn't run anything either. Trying to get it back to Dealer. Died on road. Wouldn't start. Was towed to FL, they decided bad Alternator. Got it running, continued to dealer. Supp. fixed shore prob.: bad Emerg. Mgmt. Sys. board and loose wire in ATS, but when they were moving it for p/u. It died and wouldn't start. Decided it was loose fuel line and sucking air. Supp. fixed (NOT); went to p/u Fri., was running in parking lot. Died while I was talking to the tech. I think it's somehow more electrical or fuel pump/electrical. Help. Scared to get on the road with it. Love the floor plan, but am getting disenchanted. Only have 3,500 mi. on it.
FloridaNative49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think I've seen just about every msg. the screen can print out: from !Stop Engine, Wait to Start (while moving), ABS, System Voltage thresholds, Ck Transmission... Lost Shore Power, Winne thought bad ATS switch, as Gen wouldn't run anything either. Trying to get it back to Dealer. Died on road. Wouldn't start. Was towed to FL, they decided bad Alternator. Got it running, continued to dealer. Supp. fixed shore prob.: bad Emerg. Mgmt. Sys. board and loose wire in ATS, but when they were moving it for p/u. It died and wouldn't start. Decided it was loose fuel line and sucking air. Supp. fixed (NOT); went to p/u Fri., was running in parking lot. Died while I was talking to the tech. I think it's somehow more electrical or fuel pump/electrical. Help. Scared to get on the road with it. Love the floor plan, but am getting disenchanted. Only have 3,500 mi. on it.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Did you ever have your engine batteries tested? On a previous thread you mentioned bad cells.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

No, because Freightliner blamed it on the Alternator. The EMS was showing good voltage on both house and chassis, after that. No more "threshhold messages" so far. I don't know whether to think elec. or fuel or combo at this point. Could be "another" loose wire on a fuel pump, solenoid, etc.????
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
For all the chassis and house electrical issues you have reported the one area which may not be obvious to look at is the Engine ECU. It is not unknown for a ECU to fry when the alternator has gone bad.

Do you have Cummins ISL or CAT C7 engine? You don't have a signature included and your profile doesn't say. Either way I'd recommend you have a Cummins/CAT (as appropriate) dealer instead of a FL dealer hook up and look for fault codes and run diagnostics.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

thanks all. I finally got it back and it's running fine. The last diagnosis was that the cable from the battery to the engine ECM was loose........... they put a connector on it to make it snap on, so that (hopefully) it won't come off again.
????
I'll let you know.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Four days from post to fix,,ain't bad. Glad all is ok. Have fun
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I only wish that was true. Lazy Days had it (4) weeks on top of my first breakdown/tow to Freighliner (3) for a new Alternator, on my original trip trying to take it to Lazy Days for shore power problems (ATS, EMS).
It's home now but I've got to get back on the horse quickly with a test run, before a bigger trip comes up.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wellllllll, the engine portion seems to be working, but the message center on the EMS says exactly what it said when I took it to Lazy Days to begin with: Bad AC, etc. The 110 elec in coach isn't working: Microwave, TV, etc. Took it back Sunday~haven't heard anything... it's only been over there a month. Called Winne. They were very nice, said they hadn't had any calls from LD. If their diagnotics goes more than 2 hrs., they're supp. to call to get paid. Leads me think it's sitting on a lot somewhere. Winne tech thinks it could be a bad Inverter Breaker Panel. That would allow the a/c to run on generator, but not the other electric, because it doesn't go thru the inverter. Does anyone have any contact info. for me to write to someone "who cares" at Winnebago? This is the tip of the iceberg, as this coach has been on someone's lot for about 1/3 of the time I've owned it!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone have any contact info. for me to write to someone "who cares" at Winnebago? This is the tip of the iceberg, as this coach has been on someone's lot for about 1/3 of the time I've owned it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to e-mail [email protected]. Bryan Funke is a supervisor in the service administration area and has been helpful to many of us.

Hope you get your new rig fixed and on the road soon.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Brian is THE MAN!!! Tell him your tales of woe and see what he reccomends.

Just remember to be nice. You get more with honey than with vinegar...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well we brought it home last nite. This time was burned out neutral wire in the inverter. We're taking it for a short "shakedown" this weekend. Hope this takes care of our probs. for awhile. I'm still going to get my facts together and send an email to Brian I think at Winnebago. Thanks for the commiseration & suggestions.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Just saw a new Tour at a show that turned out to have the same neutral wire/inverter problem. In this case the real problem was the transfer switch that was bad and the neutral wire burning out was a secondary symptom.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

There may be more than coincidence as that's where my shore power problems started. "Loose" wire on ATS, then bad board in EMS, then burned neutral wire in inverter. At least we have AIR... hopefully we'll have a relaxing weekend.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Oh, for the good old days when once a diesel was running it needed absolutely no electrical power to stay running. That was before the days of electronic injectors, ECM's, electronic controlled transmissions and the list goes on. Progress has its price and now the compression combustion engine requires an electrical power supply to run. I once motored in a boat one hundred miles with no electrical output from the alternator and hardly enough reserve in the batteries to start the diesel engine. Would not be able to do so with todays electronic fuel and engine control systems.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I'm with you geechee, ode to the good old days.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote