Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

DO I purchase 2005 Winnebago Journey

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am evaluating the purchase of a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39'. The unit has 32k miles at this time. It has a heat pump heating and cooling system which am unfamiliar with how they operate. How well does this heating system work in cold weather like zero to 20 degrees above.
The unit has a CAT 350 with Allison 6 speed on a Freightliner chassis and a diesel 7.5kw generator.
Do any of you know if it's required to run the generator when traveling to heat the coach?
There is a spot about 6 x 9" on the top front of the coach where the clearcoat finish has peeled off and I want to find a place where I can have that repaired should I decide to purchase it. There aren't any places big enough to get it in to fix it around this area that I've been able to find at least.
Is there anything I should be aware of that I should check over when we do a test run and inspection tomorrow?
GrandpadaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not specific to the Journey, but with any motorhome, one of the most important things to check is the age of the tires. This can be done by checking the date code on the tire. Check each one individually. The depth of the tread is irrelevant, unless there is none. Another important thing to check for is water damage. If there is a sign of any, it is probably worse than it looks. Also, the more records of service and maintenance there is the better. Then make sure all the systems work as they are supposed to. I am sure others will be along shortly with more input. I hope this gives you a start.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum!

I have the basement HVAC unit and it works great (just like a heat pump in a house)
It will not heat in real cold weather. My coach has 2 propane heater for use in cold weather, they also supply some heat to the basement. Check your thermostat and see if it says Elect/Gas Heat.

The Gen is not needed if using the Gas Heaters or the Dash Heater. You can run the Gen for Air Conditioning or Heat Pump use.

Big RV dealers and truck repair shops can repaint the front cap (it is a common problem)

Lots of info here https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpadaveB View Post
... It has a heat pump heating and cooling system which am unfamiliar with how they operate. How well does this heating system work in cold weather like zero to 20 degrees above.
The unit has a CAT 350 with Allison 6 speed on a Freightliner chassis and a diesel 7.5kw generator.
Do any of you know if it's required to run the generator when traveling to heat the coach?
The heat pump (which is just the air conditioner running 'backwards') will only operate when the outside temperature is around 40°F or above. Below that temperature it's necessary to run the gas furnace to heat the coach. The thermostat will automatically switch to the gas furnace if the heat pump can't keep up or it's too cold for it to operate.

If you want to run the A/C (or heat pump) while underway it will be necessary to run the generator to supply 120V AC. The gas furnace only requires 12V DC for the fan and control circuitry and doesn't require the generator to operate.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

0-20 degrees is a little too cold to stay in. We have not had that much luck with the heat pump even at 40 degrees. The heat that comes out (not very much) is out of the vents in the ceiling like the air conditioning. We use electric heaters when plugged in and catalytic if not. 350 cat is a great engine.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In the very dry Four Corners, our heat pumps will function down to about 36, but they struggle often going through defrost cycles.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It is a solid chassis and drivetrain. You should not have any problems there. The electrical system is complex and may be a bit troublesome after 10 years.

If your own evaluation comes up with no obvious problems, and you are ready to buy, I always suggest a professional pre-sale inspection by someone with good motor home experience. Mobile RV repair services are a good place to use. Expect to pay for a few hours of labor, but it can save you thousands if they spot a serious problem.

Good source for evaluating shops:

http://rvservicereviews.com/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank all of you that offered advise on this thread. We did make the purchase and traded our 2014 Ford Superduty and fifth wheel toy hauler on it. We got home with it around 4 pm Friday afternoon and about an hour and a half later we were having a housewarming / block party in it. I had barely gotten it leveled up and hooked up to power. Fortunately I'd started up the refrigerator on the 2 hours drive home as everyone came over carrying refreshments. The last diehards went home just before midnight. My next door neighbor was trying his best to show his wife how good it would be for them to have one like it.

Again thanks for all the help you provided me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06738.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	139226  
GrandpadaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

GrsndpadaveB. Congrats on your new Journey!!! We owned the same model. The basement AC worked fine. We did, often, run the generator for the Ac while traveling to cool the whole coach. We live in Texas. We recently upgraded to a 43' tag 06 HR Navigator. DH likes the bigger coach. I hope you have many many years of happy memories. Snd if you need help, the folks here are awesome!!

Diane
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

GrandpaDaveP,
You have a PM.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

GrandpadaveB, your PM from FIREUP(Scott) should be very thorough in explaining what you need to know. He does write-ups very well. Good luck with it, I know how exciting it is have an 04 Journey similar to yours.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Welcome Grandpadave...always nice to have another proud Winnie owner in the group. We have an '06 Itasca Meridian, which is basically the same coach, except for the length. Anything you need to know, just post it on here and you'll find plenty of help. I'm sure that FireUp will give you lots of good suggestions.
Steve

Tags
journey, purchase, winnebago