Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #21
Itasca owner

They gave me a new DVR which is a Genie but apparently not the latest wireless one, and I still have my old standard remote boxes. I can take one in the RV, and they do sync with all the boxes in the house but would not with the wireless unit. The newest Genie would have had to be placed in the center of the house to be able to connect to all the boxes, like my wifi router. These connect with coax wires as they always have but I can still watch things I've recorded from any other tv.

I use a Winegard Carryout antenna, it finds the sat if it has a clear sight of the southern sky. As has been said elsewhere, if I'm within about 200 miles of home I can still get my local stations but farther than that I can only get the network and specialized channels.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Please be aware that Dish receivers only support HDMI and RCA output, no coax. This is causing me issues on my 2019 Sunstar because only my main TV is wired for HDMI, and the connection is next to the TV above the dining room table, not in the main TV switch box. Looks like the only way to get all 3 TVs connected to Satellite is to have the dealer run HDMI cables to each TV and then have an HDMI switch box, but even then I would only be able to watch satellite on one TV at a time. I have tried using the RCA connectors on the switch box, but it is not working.
keithpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

You can get HDMI over coax adapters, or wireless HDMI, probably for less that the dealer is going to charge you. Do some searching. Also HDMI splitters. At home we have 1 HD Flow wireless transmitter, and 3 receivers, plus a couple of HDMI splitters, one that splits the Joey out to the HD Flow and also to the main TV.

You can also get RCA RF modulators to use over you existing coax, at the loss of HD.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
You can get HDMI over coax adapters, or wireless HDMI, probably for less that the dealer is going to charge you. Do some searching. Also HDMI splitters. At home we have 1 HD Flow wireless transmitter, and 3 receivers, plus a couple of HDMI splitters, one that splits the Joey out to the HD Flow and also to the main TV.

You can also get RCA RF modulators to use over you existing coax, at the loss of HD.
Thanks for the response - I will look into HDMI over Coax adapters.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #25
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithpollard View Post
Please be aware that Dish receivers only support HDMI and RCA output, no coax. This is causing me issues on my 2019 Sunstar because only my main TV is wired for HDMI, and the connection is next to the TV above the dining room table, not in the main TV switch box. Looks like the only way to get all 3 TVs connected to Satellite is to have the dealer run HDMI cables to each TV and then have an HDMI switch box, but even then I would only be able to watch satellite on one TV at a time. I have tried using the RCA connectors on the switch box, but it is not working.
Thanks for your post. I need to install Dish Network soon also. Interestingly enough, the wiring diagram for my 2018 32YE Vista (built in April 2017) shows coax used for Sat Rcvr and DVD player, just like yours. However my RV doesn't use coax for video distribution. All 3 TV's in the RV have 2 HDMI cables going to them, which is puzzling, because at the location where the Sat receiver and DVD player install above the entry door, there's only 2 HDMI cables that are pre-installed (along with the 2 antenna input coax connections, one from the roof, one from outside). One of the HDMI cables is labeled Sat Rcvr output and the other is labeled DVD player output. Since there are only two HDMI cables, somewhere in my RV there must be a splitter that takes 2 HDMI cables and turns them into 6 HDMI cables, then from this splitter 2 HDMI cables go to each of the 3 TVs. I'm wondering where that splitter/amplifier is mounted. I feel fortunate I have all this HDMI cable laid throughout the RV, which appears to be done "the right way", but I'm puzzled why the Winnebago wiring diagrams doesn't show HDMI cables with a splitter, along with it's location. I think I'll have to call Winnebago about this. I need to know where this splitter is for future reference.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

John, That is interesting info - there is only one HDMI cable in my coach, which is 3ft long and goes from the main TV to a socket next to it. The connections from the switch box to the 3 TVs are all Coax.

Can you tell me where you found the wiring diagram? I am going to take this up with Winnebago, but would like to find the wiring diagram for my coach.

2019 Sunstar
2016 Jeep Wrangler
really old Specialized mountain bike
Ruger GP 100
Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #27
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
John, That is interesting info - there is only one HDMI cable in my coach, which is 3ft long and goes from the main TV to a socket next to it. The connections from the switch box to the 3 TVs are all Coax.

Can you tell me where you found the wiring diagram? I am going to take this up with Winnebago, but would like to find the wiring diagram for my coach.

2019 Sunstar
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Ruger GP 100
The schematics can be found in the Winnebago website. Look for "Resources" >Wiring Diagrams-Motorized>Select your year> select your model and chassis>select the diagram you want.

If your TV has an HDMI cable plugged into the wall HDMI socket, that must go somewhere. It should be in the entertainment center wiring area, usually above the entry door.

I just found a schematic for the HDMI cables. I don't know how I missed this before, but I found it. Yoohoo. Tomorrow I'm going to physically look for my HDMI splitters, apparently there are 4 of them, according to the schematic!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:43 AM   #28
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:

2019 Sunstar
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Ruger GP 100
When looking at the DishNetwork Wally, it has this statement toward the bottom of the page:

NOTE: If you only have COAX going into your TV, you can purchase an RF Modulator.

This may not support 1080 resolution HD, but it should support 720 HD. It doesn't say, but if all you have is coax routed through the RV, that may be the easiest solution, buying RF modulators.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I tried a modulator, and the picture quality was terrible unfortunately.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #30
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
I tried a modulator, and the picture quality was terrible unfortunately.
You could try a higher quality modulator. This one says it supports 1080 with a digital signal conversion. With Amazon you can always send it back if you don't like it.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #31
Let's kill some bugs!

Regarding the installation of Satellite TV in a Vista model, has anyone done the installation of the roof satellite antenna themselves in this forum? I'm curious where the coax cable is located on the roof. I haven't climbed up yet to see if I can locate the cable, just curious if there's any secret hiding location where Winnebago terminates the coax. I do see the other end of the coax in the entertainment center above the entry door, labeled roof satellite antenna. This means there's a coax up there somewhere.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #32
Let's kill some bugs!

I finally located the 4 HDMI cable splitter/amplifiers in my 32YE Vista 12V wiring diagram.. They're in an odd place, in the wall between the shower and the bedroom. But at least I know where they are now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI splitters.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	171004  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
Regarding the installation of Satellite TV in a Vista model, has anyone done the installation of the roof satellite antenna themselves in this forum? I'm curious where the coax cable is located on the roof. I haven't climbed up yet to see if I can locate the cable, just curious if there's any secret hiding location where Winnebago terminates the coax. I do see the other end of the coax in the entertainment center above the entry door, labeled roof satellite antenna. This means there's a coax up there somewhere.
On the Winnebago Class A's I have seen with the TV mounted above the center front of the RV, there is a label on the roof stating "The Sat TV coax is located here. Drill 1" hole for access." This is on the outside on the roof, not inside.

If your entertainment center is somewhere other than the front of the RV look above it for the label.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite