Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Determining exact height of 2010 Adventurer or Suncruiser

I am in the process of considering the purchase of a 2010, 35 ft., Adventurer for Suncruiser. One issue that I face is the height of my present garage door opening which is 12' 1 1/2". The web site for Winnebago indicates that the height of the Adventurer or Suncruiser, with 22.5 tires, is 12'3" measured to the top of the tallest standard feature and based on the curb weight of a typically equipped unit. I called Winnebago in Forest City to try to determine what is considered the "tallest standard feature". I thought perhaps the rubber antenna but was informed that was not the case. So, what is it? I didn't get a clear answer. Is it a vent cover? Dome of a satellite unit? At this stage, I visited a dealership and asked a salesman for assistance. The unit that I was looking at did not have anything on the top and the highest feature appeared to be a vent cover. I had a tape measure with me, and I had hoped that perhaps the saleman would get someone from service to get up on the roof, hold a pole of some type out beyond the side, and permit us to get a pretty exact measurement. Once the salesman knew that I wasn't going to be making an immediate decision on a purchase until I checked and determined my garage measurements, he cooled and disappeared. I guess he wasn't too concerned about making a sale. Undeterred, I noticed that I could hook the tape measure onto the corner of a bracket that the awning was mounted onto. I was able to get a measurement of 133 inches or approximately 11' 1'' to the ground. But still the top of the awning was a bit higher. At this point, I climbed up on the rear ladder and eyeballed the top of the awning relative to the crown of the roof of the motorhome. My guess is that the top of the awning was about 3 inches higher than the bracket corner that I mentioned earlier. Now I came to a ground to top of roof "measurement guess" of 11'4''. Furthermore, the highest feature that I could see and ascertain as a "standard feature" was a mid - coach vent cover. So, I guessed another 4 inches. Now my best guess of a final height was 11' 8". I realize that any addition of a satellite dish, even a low profile, would probably push the height to the 12'3" that the Winnebago web site indicates, and might preclude the install of a satellite dish. If anyone has a 2010 Adventurer or Suncruiser or could provide me with some specific information, I will be most appreciative. I realize that this is a rather unusual request. I'm very interested in the 2010 units, but I have to get this height issue resolved. I don't think that there are any possible modifications to my garage door opening at this point. I have a concrete floor, and I'm reasonably sure that I cannot cut up into the cross rafter that serves as a weight bearing and support element. I won't be able to check this accurately until I get back home in April. (Hope the snow melts by that time). Thanks for any insight that any of you can provide.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When you agree upon the price and the coach and are all ready to sign on the dotted line, tell the salesman that you want to add a clause in the contract that the total height of the coach will be below (fill in the blank) or the contract is void. The dealer and the salesman will be ery motivated to get the correct answer so they can get their money and the answer will be right. If they say it is below your needs, then you measure before accepting delivery. Put the pressure on them. Sale of the coach and anticipated commission will get them motivated to be correct.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I was faced with the same problem when we bought. We wrote into the contract that the mh must fit into our shop 12 ft door. The sales rep. drove the mh out to my place to make sure it would fit to finalize the sale ....it just fits ...you can also gain about 6 inches by letting the air out of the air bags just before you pull into the shop. hope it works out for you.......good luck
Old 02-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
...you can also gain about 6 inches by letting the air out of the air bags just before you pull into the shop.
Unfortunately, .... he's looking at an Adventurer/Suncruiser that has no air suspension.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I usually crawl up on the roof with a 4 foot level. I place it on the highest point (usually sat dome or the fantastic vent covers), level it and have it extend over the side while I'm holding it. One of the boys gets onto a 8' folding ladder and drops a measuring tape down from the level to the ground and we read the height.

I think I remember my 2003 Suncruiser was 11-8 so I would avoid any bridge lower than 12 feet.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you download the 2010 Adventurer brochure from the Winnebago site it gives the list of standard and optional features on each model.

Here's a link: http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...r-Brochure.pdf

Before you can determine which features are standard and which are optional you'll need to make some decisions like the model and chassis you want it built on. While all the chassis use 22.5" tires there is a wide variety of standard and optional features depending on which model you choose.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You will have to consider some other factors when determining an "exact' height. All of the holding tanks, including the fuel tank, will have an effect on the overall height. If you measure in the dealers parking lot, then fill up the tank, you may be lower, but don't count on it.

How I would measure. I have a laser level. The one that shoots a laser beem out the ends. Place it on a high point, level it, turn it on, and walk to the side and feed the tape to the ground. See where the point hits on the tape measure. That will be your reference for that high point. Do it for each high point on the roof and use the one that is the highest as your "height."

Is the area that you are going to drive it into, level? If you have a rise into the entrance, it could make a point higherl until the wheels crown at the entrance point.

What's that old saying, "Thimk?"
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My guess it that the highest point may be the TOP of the ladder on the rear. That is the case on my Winnie. If your driveway approach to the garage door is sloped down as it typical to have the rain run away, then you will have and additional height issue. The rear ladder will be a few inches higher as it will be angled up depending on the slope and the amount of hang over past the rear axle.

So you can measure 6 ways to Sunday on flat surface and still be deceived when you back in and the ladder hits the garage door.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 02-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

just purchased a 2009 itasca suncruiser 35P - and have the hieght as 12'3"
regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who have responded

Sincere thanks and appreciation to all who have posted a response and to any future respondees to my question, I find the IRV2 forums to be the most helpful resource of any that I use. I appreciate the excellent support of all members of irv2 out there, what a great group of people!!
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote