Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 01:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Desperately Seeking 2015 Vista 36Y / Sunstar 36Y

Hi All,

I’m looking to buy a 2015 Winniebago Vista M-36 Y or Itasca Sunstar M-36Y, preferably used so it's off-gassed some, but will consider new. I live in Northern NJ a mile off of Rt 80, about 15 miles from the PA border.

I was living down at the Jersey shore when Sandy came through and was helping with the rebuilding of houses that had been wiped out. My own house was water damaged, and between that and the work I was doing I developed a mold/chemical sensitivity, and this summer I was forced to move out of my house. Moved up to north Jersey, and although I had the house I’m in now inspected for mold, after 3 months I unable to stay here, and have decided try going full time in a MH.

When I was at the RV show in AC I found that MHs that were carpeted gave me problems, but tile/lino models I was ok. So I’ve set my sites on 2015 Vista 36Y or Sunstar 36Y, but I’m not finding any close by. One of the problems in checking out an RV that’s far away, is that I have to be in the rig, to know if I can “be” in the rig, if the atmosphere is breathable for me.

So I can’t really see one online that’s perfect on paper and photo, get a one way ticket to Houston, and drive it home. A 4 or maybe even five hour drive would be doable, as I’ve gotta find some place to live, and there’s a fair amount of urgency. Naturally the closer the better as I'm working on my house to get out.But I want to stay away from disreputable dealers.

Can anyone recommend some trusted Winniebago/Itasca dealers within a 4 to maybe 5 hour drive of my location? Also, any help you can give me in locating one of these models would be greatly appreciated.

To give you some idea, I’m about 2 hours from both Hersey and Philadelphia PA, 5 hours to Pittsburgh. Buffalo is 5 hours, Albany 3.

Could do all of NJ of course, much of NY, CT, MA, and up into NH, going south DL, MD and maybe eastern parts of VA, Richmond would be about 6 hours.

I’m hoping to stick to 4ish for looking, but for the right combination of MH, price and quality dealership I’ll venture further.

Thank you.. Paul
Paul James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There is one at ray wakeleys in Pennsylvania. Looks like a great price. Go on rv trader website and search for a 36y. There are a few there.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have one of those. Not ready to sell it yet but I would be glad to answer any questions about them for you if you have any.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Feel your pain

My wife and I feel your pain. We want to replace our C with a bigger A next fall. Went to the Hershey show and only found literature on one we liked, the 36Y and of course there was none there to look at. Started searching on line and since we only live about 2 hours west of you, only found the one in Erie PA and don't want to drive 6 hours to see one. If you buy one we sure would like to stop by and take a peak at it.
RandyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Finding a used 2015 may be difficult. You may find that new 2015 are being discounted as the 2016 models reach the dealers lots. The longer an RV sits the greater the discount. You could look for new 2014 coaches as well. They would have the greatest discount.

A few months ago we picked up our new 2016 Sightseer 33C coach. I ordered our new coach from Winnebago. We waited about four months for Winnebago to build our new coach. And like the Vista there isn't a lot of carpet. Carpet is on the dog house and bedroom floor.

What I like about our new coach is the new 2016 Ford chassis. The 2016 chassis has a six speed transmission and the V10 engine no longer screams at 5300 RPM's. Top RPM in our new coach appears to be 4300 RPM's. The cockpit is much quieter when traveling.

Safe travels. Have fun finding your new coach. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Has the OP found a motorhome yet. Doesnt seem to be very desperate after all.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated. I've been in lots of MHs after my inquiry with only limited success. I've been much better in the brand new MHs, I think it may be due to the dust levels (which I find quite problematic) in the coaches that have been on the lot a long time, many over a year.

Looked at some new Navions (a friend has one and loves it so I checked them out), was ok inside and they're quite nice, but I'd find it small for full time. I'm back out on the road tomorrow, still looking for "the one". I'll update.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have big time allergy problems. A good electronic air filter travels with me in the Motorhome. Have multiples in the sticks and stucco. Works great.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Paul James,
Don't know how far you are willing to go to find a coach, but after a quick search I found (1) 2015 Vista 36Y in Camping World in Charleston SC, (1) 2015 Vista 36Y in C W Columbia SC and (1) 2016 Vista 36y in Charleston as well. They are out there. Have you tried to call Winnebago Customer Service? They know what dealers have stock on all their models.

Good Luck!
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Found that rig

I found my new 2015 Vista 36Y and bought it yesterday; went to Ray Wakley’s RV Center in North East PA, right next to Erie, PA, and also right on the shore of Lake Erie. Thanks to motohomo for pointing me in that direction.

They were asking $106,900 and I bought it for $103,000. The people at the dealership where easy to deal with, the negotiation was polite and easy. They charged me a documentation of $120 and that was the only extra. Didn’t charge a freight or delivery fee, no set up charges or PID fee, and didn’t try to push a warranty down my throat. Full tanks of gas and propane.

My salesman was Steve Rizzo, born and raised in North East and proud of it. He’s an interesting guy, a historian of the region and the Great Lakes, but somewhat unique as an RV salesman. He spent two years as a tech in their shop, so he comes at explaining the coach from a sort of different angle. A good one I found. Kind of guy you’d like to stick around and have a beer with, and soak up some local culture.

I did have one troubling episode while I was going through the RV. I asked Steve to turn on the furnace, and the coach filled with smoke. Not like you couldn’t see but noticeable for sure. Steve called their top tech and he said this sometimes happens on new coaches, there are some coatings on the furnace that burn need to burn off, and they run all the appliances for 6 to 8 hours to clear anything out. The RV had been on the lot for a year, so maybe an insect nest was in the exhaust, not sure how it would find its way into the coach. Anyone ever experience anything similar? It was a little troubling.

The Onan generator also was running rough, and I would think it was from stale gas sitting in the carb. They promised to have both issues fixed before I take delivery of course, I hope so.

@dkrobath thanks for the offer, I’m sure I’ll have a plenty of questions, thanks Dave & Deb

@ RandyLee I’m glad you didn’t beat me to Erie, I’m taking delivery in two weeks, so if you’d like to come by and take a walk through the rig it would be my pleasure. PM me.

@ yellowboat JD/Kathy you were right about there not being a lot of 2015s around. I drove 6 hours each way to go see this one, long day but glad I did. That quieter trans on the 2016 sounds like a game changer, wish I could have waited.

@ CFSUNRISE glad I didn’t have to head down to SC, although Charleston in one of my favorite cities, and I have friends in Columbia. But 12 hours on the road yesterday was plenty. Did you buy your Itasca 30A at Colonial in Lakewood? I looked at an Itasca 35B there, but didn’t want the 2 baths and I like the floorplan of the 36Y much more. Wasn’t sure if I wanted to be in a rig the size of yours, or bigger. Went bigger as I’ll be full time if it works out. Nice people at Colonial, has the same friendly vibe as Ray Wakley’s, I would have done business there if they had the model I wanted. They’re Winnie/Itasca, but also the largest seller of Airstreams in the country, but not a big place at all, very low pressure there as well.

And lastly to my angel of mercy, who took pity on a lost soul and fed him virtual soul food and great advice through the wire. You know who you are.

Thanks all.. Paul
Old 11-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Congrats, Great Price, Hope you enjoy it. The transmission can be a little loud when switching to 2 & 3rd but ease off the gas and it with switch at a lower RPM. It's most noticeable when in cruise control. I may look into the 5 star tune this year to adjust the shifting points to make it smoother. Going to hit Colorado this summer that might smooth out the mountains a bit. Did you get the King Bed and Washer and Dryer options. Your going to love the big picture window facing the camp area especially when you at a scenic CG. Most others units have you looking out at your sewer line and the neighbors. Totally wasting the view. The only thing I wish is that the slides went out a few inches more. But for just us 2 it's more than enough space. We have had ours for almost a full year with only a few warranty tweaks needed. Got one more month left on the factory warranty and we are trying to find anything else to get fixed.... so far nothing. Our dealer did everything we asked them to do and more. If I mentioned anything they addressed it.

Enjoy it, Have fun.

Dave

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Dave,

We did the 5 Star Tune and felt the difference immediately. 5 Star has group buys and sales 3 times a year. Try to get in on one of them. Just give them a call to see when the next sale is or a group buy. I did that right after Labor Day, missed the sale by a few days but Chris gave me the price anyway. Easy install, took us longer to find the PCM code and the computer port that the install.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Paul James,

Yes we did order our coach thru Colonial Itasca. Great people to deal with and they have an even greater service dept. if you should need service. Much closer than going to Erie for required service.

Good luck with your new coach! See ya on the road!
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Dave, glad to hear your rig has been pretty much trouble free. Mine does have the King bed and washer//dryer which I wanted. Could have done without the outside TV, I don't think I'll use it; but I do have some friends who like to watch baseball 24/7 so it may get some use.

There's lots to like about this MH, the big aluminum wheels look very cool, like the 2000w inverter, and mine has the auto bed over the cab, like that too. I really like that big window across from the kitchen as you mentioned, and the wardrobe space in the bedroom is pretty awesome. So all and all, very happy with my purchase. Now if I can keep the mice and squirrels out of it over the winter, I'll be very happy. I'll be parking it in my driveway which is surrounded by woods. I may be sleeping in it when I turn my heat on in the house and it gives me trouble.

@ DKSunrise Another thumbs up for Colonial in Lakewood, good to hear. Hoping they'll do warranty work for me, don't see why not. Thanks for the kind words.