Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Daytime running lights will not shut off on 2002 35U Adventurer

Hi Guys,

While reading threads about chassis battery draws, I noticed that Ford's DRL system could cause such a draw. A couple of years ago, my head lights would not turn off, so I had to pull the fuse for the DRL system. I now manually turn on my headlights with the dash switch.

About the time that this issue started, I believe is when I noticed that my chassis battery would not hold a charge. The battery was replaced and the new battery was dead in about a week. Now I remove the cable when the coach is not moving.

But, I saw in another post that the DRL system could be what is killing my battery, even if the fuse is out.

Is there a relay that also plays into this system? How can I get the system functioning again? And, could this be the draw that is killing my chassis battery?

Thanks for your help,

Martin
Old 02-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Martin,
I'm a little confused here. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. Are you saying that, the DRL circuit, is causing your coach battery(ies) to go dead, EVEN WHEN THE COACH is off, and no one's in it, and it's parked???

Or, are you talking about when the coach is running and or, idling? Because, in either case, it doesn't make sense that the DRL system will cause any battery issues, running or, parked and not running. If that was the case, then DRL circuits would be causing dead batteries all over the planet because, many folks park their motor homes, trucks, cars, motorcycles and much more, for long periods of time and, come back to all of those that start right up.

DRLs are pretty much a safety thing. I hear in Canada, it's a law that they're on. In the U.S. not sure of any law. I see plenty of new cars, trucks, motor homes etc. that do not have them turned on. And, by the way, yes, you can have them turned on or off, based on the settings in the vehicles control module. Now, at least we could in our '07 Grand Cherokee. One dealer told us, "no, you cannot have them turned on, in this vehicle". Well, my son, who worked for Jeep/Chysler/Dodge Dealership at the time, (a different one than the one we had it in for warranty) came home, put the Jeep specific tech computer on it and, within seconds, had the DRLs switched to the "On" position.

So, can all vehicles be done that way? Not sure. But, I'd bet many can.
Anyway, still confused as to your issue, base on your explanation.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think in the U.S. it is against the law to disable factory OEM running lights. Yours will shut off when you place the transmission in park, or in my case-(no park position), only neutral with air brake parking brake.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeDuner View Post
The battery was replaced and the new battery was dead in about a week. Now I remove the cable when the coach is not moving.
Here's an easy way to disconnect / connect the batteries and solved my battery-draining issues. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tAj8gQfyRHVHABA1IU0Gb9cOUtjGmtFe-aVWhdt10c0.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	85286  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I think in the U.S. it is against the law to disable factory OEM running lights.
I'm not sure how accurate the information is that I'm posting below, but here's some information for review. -RT

"There is no law requiring daytime running lights (abbreviated as "DTR lights" or "DRL") in cars sold in the United States, although most cars come equipped with them.

Ways to Turn Off DTR Lights | eBay
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I'm not sure how accurate the information is that I'm posting below, but here's some information for review. -RT

"There is no law requiring daytime running lights (abbreviated as "DTR lights" or "DRL") in cars sold in the United States, although most cars come equipped with them.

Ways to Turn Off DTR Lights | eBay
I believe you are right, no law requiring them. Once installed by mfgr. they must remain that way. Motorcycles are the prime example. I remember in the early 70's when they first appeared on new autos, one could buy a single clearance-type light to attach on the grill of older autos for a running light.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Martin,
I'm a little confused here. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. Are you saying that, the DRL circuit, is causing your coach battery(ies) to go dead, EVEN WHEN THE COACH is off, and no one's in it, and it's parked???

Or, are you talking about when the coach is running and or, idling? Because, in either case, it doesn't make sense that the DRL system will cause any battery issues, running or, parked and not running. If that was the case, then DRL circuits would be causing dead batteries all over the planet because, many folks park their motor homes, trucks, cars, motorcycles and much more, for long periods of time and, come back to all of those that start right up.

DRLs are pretty much a safety thing. I hear in Canada, it's a law that they're on. In the U.S. not sure of any law. I see plenty of new cars, trucks, motor homes etc. that do not have them turned on. And, by the way, yes, you can have them turned on or off, based on the settings in the vehicles control module. Now, at least we could in our '07 Grand Cherokee. One dealer told us, "no, you cannot have them turned on, in this vehicle". Well, my son, who worked for Jeep/Chysler/Dodge Dealership at the time, (a different one than the one we had it in for warranty) came home, put the Jeep specific tech computer on it and, within seconds, had the DRLs switched to the "On" position.

So, can all vehicles be done that way? Not sure. But, I'd bet many can.
Anyway, still confused as to your issue, base on your explanation.
Scott
Scott,

I was looking for help with 2 issues.
The first is that my DRL's will not turn off period, so I had to remove the fuse that controls them. So I am looking for some guidance on how to fix this issue.
The second issue is that I have a chassis battery draw and I read in another post on this site that the DRL system could be a cause for a battery drain. So, I was looking for confirmation that somebody might have experienced this.
Any info on the make up of the DRL system would be helpful for my RV. There must be a relay or some other electrical component that is stuck and causing my lights to stay on after all is turned off.
FWIW-to turn off the DRL on my 07 Tahoe, you depress the E-brake pedal one click.

Thanks for your help,

Martin
Old 02-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeDuner View Post
Scott,

I was looking for help with 2 issues.
The first is that my DRL's will not turn off period, so I had to remove the fuse that controls them. So I am looking for some guidance on how to fix this issue.
The second issue is that I have a chassis battery draw and I read in another post on this site that the DRL system could be a cause for a battery drain. So, I was looking for confirmation that somebody might have experienced this.
Any info on the make up of the DRL system would be helpful for my RV. There must be a relay or some other electrical component that is stuck and causing my lights to stay on after all is turned off.
FWIW-to turn off the DRL on my 07 Tahoe, you depress the E-brake pedal one click.

Thanks for your help,

Martin
Martin,
Ahhhhhha, now I understand. Now, I'm by far, no electrical wizard or, automotive electrical tech, by any means. So, I cannot point you to any specific circuit, fuse, relay etc. that may be your "constant on" DRL system problem. That, you'll either have to wait 'till someone that has specific information, on YOUR SPECIFIC system, not one that someone's brother-in-laws-sisters-mothers-granddads-uncle had a problem with.

As for you stating that you can turn yours off in your Tahoe with one click of the e-brake, all you're doing there is, tripping a switch that is used for multiple systems including, one part for the DRLs. And, depending on just how well your e-brake is adjusted, by clicking on that pedal one click, you may be actually applying, ever so lightly though, your e-brake. You most likely don't feel any braking but, you may just be doing that.

Now, if you were to look into your owners manual for that Tahoe, I'd bet you'd find a way to shut those head lights (part of the DRL system) off, at least temporarily. GM used to use something like, "turn the key to "On", then move the turn signal lever to a certain position and hold it....." something like that and, vuallllla, your head lights and, the DRLs are off, at least for that cycle.

However, that's a one time shot. The next time you jump in your Tahoe, all systems are back to normal, unless you want them off again, then you have to go through what ever the owners manual instructed you to do. Good luck on your coach system.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, vent