Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dashboard removal 2014 Meridian

Does anyone know how to remove the dashboard from an Itasca Meridian? I need to get to the wiring.
Thanks.
ItascaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the Winnie owners forum. You need to be more specific as to both your issue and what you are attempting to do. You may or may not need to remove the dash. There is a great knowledgeable user base here that should be able to assist once they have more details. Your current request is akin to asking "how high is up" to myself and I suspect others hence you have not had any replies. I am sure you will be inundated with suggestions with more detail !
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItascaJoe View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the dashboard from an Itasca Meridian? I need to get to the wiring.
Thanks.
Remove the screws from the windshield and side vents. Pull the raised top pad forward. The rest of the screws will become obvious.

The hold down tabs on mine were not positioned correctly and I had to make some adjustments when putting things back together.
Please post your rig info in your signature, similar to what I have done. It makes it easier to answer your questions more accurately.

Happy trails.
Rick Y
Old 10-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Joe, What year is this? My-olde-2002 Sightseer is a piece-of-cake. The whole 'container' flips up after removing some screws along the bottom, exposing a ton of stuff.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm sorry ya'll I have a 2014 Meridian 40U. I am trying to reach the rat's nest of wires under there. My rear view camera stopped working and I think it because I may have pulled a wire out by accident. It was working fine until I stuck my nose in it.
ItascaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hey, I have the same problem on my 2013 Meridian 42e - the rear camera goes intermittently out. I crawled under there but I'll be darned if I can find the switcher to get the part number.

I'm going to pull the monitor and go in with my fiber optic camera to see if I can at least spot it, then decide if I need to pull the dash. I don't think you do. There should be plenty of hand access through the radio hole.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I gave up on trying to remove the dash there just too many screws. I called the professionals lol I called a mobile RV tech who came recommended to me. He was able to get in there under the dash. He told me I either had a bad camera or a bad video switch that all the cameras go into. I have to order both and he will come back and go from there. Camera p/n XS91201B Switch p/n CVS300-01
.I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have the 2014 Itasca Sunstar - small gasser. I also need to remove the dashboard. By dashboard I mean the huge, 6 foot wide, flat plywood covered by vinyl directly under the windshield, a piece about 3' by 6' feet.
There is a rattle under there driving me crazy.

I have come to believe it is permanently glued down to a metal frame of some kind. Maybe your Itasca is the same?

Or am I crazy - Winnie wouldn't do that, right?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItascaJoe View Post
I gave up on trying to remove the dash there just too many screws. I called the professionals lol I called a mobile RV tech who came recommended to me. He was able to get in there under the dash. He told me I either had a bad camera or a bad video switch that all the cameras go into. I have to order both and he will come back and go from there. Camera p/n XS91201B Switch p/n CVS300-01
.I will let you know how it turns out.
Joe, I don't understand why you gave up? Yes, there are many screws but it is not all that bad once the pad is off. Take pictures if need be. Once off what you are seeking is in view behind the entertainment module.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I've had my dashboard completely out in my '04 Adventuer. It wasn't easy. Front edge is bolted down with the nuts being underhood. The rest of the screws and bolts were accessed after I removed the lift up dash pod, and the passenger workstation. My dash has a forward part, and a rear part that I separated in place, the bolts were really hard to get at, but removing the dash in two pieces was much easier. Not sure that a '14 Sunstar would do that or not.

I have a few pictures, not sure if any of them will be useful though, I need to look. Dan, does your Sunstar look like the attached image? That doesn't look like it would come out in pieces. Maybe the Winnebago parts manuals have some pictures of how it breaks down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-Dash-13[1].jpg
Views:	414
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	170527  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yes, it looks just like that picture. It is a huge single piece of plywood covered by vinyl. Thanks for the photo! Under the passenger workstation, there is no access - no hole in the dashboard, no break in the vinyl, the station is just screwed to the plywood and vinyl covering of the dash.

Removing the shroud over the speedo, there are no bolts I can find. Under the hood there are no bolts I can find. There is no movement when I pry on it, as if it is glued to the metal frame under the dashboard.

They wouldn't do that, would they??

I can't view the parts diagrams, as Winnie only allows access by PC. We are all Apple here. Discrimination!! Maybe I will go to the library, or maybe you could take a look for me...

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Winnie Driver

Dash removal

That is exactly the same dash as on our 2014 Vista, that I need to remove to get to a squeaking heater blower motor. I have found no screws that appear to be holding the main, flat dash panel down. Am holding my breath until we get an answer!
Bill
gravityimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityimage View Post
That is exactly the same dash as on our 2014 Vista, that I need to remove to get to a squeaking heater blower motor. I have found no screws that appear to be holding the main, flat dash panel down. Am holding my breath until we get an answer!
Bill
I don't think you have to remove the entire dash to get to the blower on a 2014 Vista. There is a carpet covered panel in front of the passenger seat held by screws that are hidden under the carpet pile. I believe that the blower can be accessed from there.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityimage View Post
Bill
Yes Bill, just fold yourself into a pretzel around the passenger seat, remove a carpeted board and you are there. You can't get it from above. The screws for the carpeted board are hidden in the carpet, but persevere and you will find them and get it off. Phillips head I think. I just left my board off.

BY THE WAY that heater fan that costs $$$$ ($170.??) at your dealer is actually a very common heater fan available at NAPA for around $35 IIRC. Exact same. When you pull it off, run all the numbers on it through Google, and you will eventually figure out the right part number for NAPA.

The reason it squeaks is the metal squirrel cage is to heavy for the bearings on the motor, and they fail. It's a known issue. You can lube it but it won't last. Motor mfg and cage mfg are pointing fingers at each other, it was interesting to listen to them make excuses.

When you get a new one from NAPA or where ever, make sure you get the PLASTIC squirrel cage model. It will run forever.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Power Cat, reading your posts on your 27n over the years, I think we have had almost the identical problems on our rigs. We seem to be fixing the same things! Right now I have new rot over the shower in the Luan plywood. The skylight has been leaking for a year. You might want to pull yours down from inside and check it out. I've got a lot of damage!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Power Cat, reading your posts on your 27n over the years, I think we have had almost the identical problems on our rigs. We seem to be fixing the same things! Right now I have new rot over the shower in the Luan plywood. The skylight has been leaking for a year. You might want to pull yours down from inside and check it out. I've got a lot of damage!

Had the same problem. One screw on the roof, holding the skylight, was not sealed correctly. The spot was so small that I had missed it on several previous inspections. It was frustration that got me down on my face inspecting each and every bump in the caulking. One small pinhole is all it took to do all that damage. To do a proper fix on the shower ceiling will take some doing.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Yep, the smallest pinhole here as well. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Anybody learn anything about the dashboard construction and removal?
Old 11-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Joe, It looks like the dash for your 2014 40U comes out in 3 pieces. I don't think any of it is plywood. My 2013 isn't that I can see other than maybe back where the defrosters are.

Hopefully your tech was able to do it without taking too much apart. If you look through the 3D model, it will show where everything is bolted down and all of the brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40u dash.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	170558  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #19
Site Team

Great to see everyone working together to help each other.

Way to go!!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2013 Winnebago Journey and had to replace my backup camera a couple of years ago. I think your Meridian is similar. My CVS300 camera switcher is under a raised panel (darker color than the dash) on the top of the dash above the speedometer and tach. To remove the panel, remove two screws in the front edge of the panel from below. Slide the panel forward and up. My CVS300 was sitting on a shelf above the instruments.
audriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, removal