Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dash Heater 07 Sightseer

Sightseer 35j Workhorse. My dash hest is cold when driving. After the engine is warm, sitting still it feels ok, but it is cold when underway. Can I partially block the outside vent? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
allenml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenml View Post
Sightseer 35j Workhorse. My dash hest is cold when driving. After the engine is warm, sitting still it feels ok, but it is cold when underway. Can I partially block the outside vent? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
The heaters heat exchanger (radiator) in the dash is clogged. Not unusual in an 11-12 year old rig. Probably not an easy job to pull it out and replace it or clean it out.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Vacuum Leak

Chances are you have the Evans-Tempcon HVAC system in your rig. They are known for issues with the plastic vacuum lines. On our 2006 most of the ones under the hood have pretty much disintegrated. Check those out. The vacuum leak can play games with the blend door (controls temperature) and the fresh/recirculate door.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Low coolant level will cause the same problem.
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I haven't actually heard of this problem for many years, but in the "old" days, 1950s and 1960s, old rubber hoses in the cooling system could become soft and collapse from the water pump suction. That, of course, would block the coolant flow. Probably not likely nowadays but it wouldn't hurt to give all the hoses a squeeze.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Might not be applicable to your situation but when my heater wasn't working I found that the previous owner had valves installed in the heater line to cut it off. Might be a good idea for FL but not so much for CO
Ctrl-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-C View Post
Might not be applicable to your situation but when my heater wasn't working I found that the previous owner had valves installed in the heater line to cut it off. Might be a good idea for FL but not so much for CO
That is usually done when there is a vacuum leak. On "Max AC" setting the valve behind the dash ports vacuum to the water shutoff valve (to close it) and the air recirculation damper motor (to go into recirculation mode). When the soy-plastic lines have eroded they will allow enough leakage to keep those two components from functioning as desired. Once you build up speed and manifold vacuum can overcome the leaks, they tend to function, but not well. Then, when you come to a stop and are at idle the components return to their normal state (water valve open, outside air in).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My 08 Itasca had no heat at the dash vents. After the backup tv fried took off the top Center of dash and found that the factory had not connected the hoses to the vents. I now have heat but had to buy new backup monitor.
Frobogey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, heat, heater, sightseer