Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dash controls on 40R Journey (Freightliner Maxum Chassis)

Driving home from dealership and the dash controls went out twice and will not move (tach, fuel, MPH) dealership states it is a Freightliner issue. I'm planning our first trip for Monday the 3rd. Any Ideas?
Billthefirem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

The dash gauges are controlled by the ECU. I'd start by reaching behind the gauge cluster and see if the multiplex connector is tightly seated in it's socket. Also, check for a loose ground wire. You might use a jumper wire with alligator clips to see if an added ground wire from steering column support or the like to gauge cluster solves the problem. If the needles don't twitch, you'll have to start checking each connection from the dashboard to the ECU.

You can monitor speed using a GPS, but the other gauges are important to monitor too.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Scan Gauge D about $150, plug and play will give you all readings, but if there is no data being sent it won't work either. There are plugins all along the coach, look where the work you may have just had done and check. Just check all data cable plugs you can find. Good luck.

LEN
Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had my air unit fail. You can reach under the dash and check that the electrical connections into the dash unit are connected and pushed all the way in. You will also find the gauges are each held in with a U-shaped aluminum clamp bracket held in place with two wing nuts. You could also remove the wing nuts and pull the speedo unit forward and out of the dash. That would also enable you to check if the connectors are in and seated. The 3 connectors on my air unit were flat black about 1" wide with 2 our 3 conductors. If you do elect to pull the unit out, the cabling should be long enough to see the rear of the unit. On reinstalling the clamp bracket, you will have to work without being able to see it - not difficult but be careful that the wiring does not get compressed between the bracket and the gauge unit - it should go under or over the clamp bracket depending on where the socket is on that gauge unit. Hope I haven't made it sound too complex - it isn't really and I have pointed out where I screwed up doing it so you won't do the same thing. Good luck, it could get you on the road when you planned.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest removing the top of the dash, then you can see everything you need to check out.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Here is my suggestion from doing computer support. It might work and might not. Kill the house and chassis batteries at the switch. Walk away for five minutes and try it again. On my previous MH, I had a transmission warning light go nuts on my first trip. I killed the house and chassis batteries, and it didn't happen again in eight years of ownership.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you everyone. I went down and reached up under the dash and started pushing wire and the gauges started working. This is a 2016 and only has 400 miles on it and I was starting to think what have I've done. I then explained to my wife that this will be a journey and it starts with knowing what you have. Again thank you all. I'm sure I'll be asking for more input we are heading to Florida on Monday.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Glad it was something simple!! Have a good trip and many adventures on the road.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Bill the fireman
Congrats. Fixing most issues with a coach is much easier with I2RV support as lots of others have experienced the same issue and will share with you. 20 minutes with advice from here is better than 20 days at a dealer who may or may not get it fixed. Like your analogy of a "journey" - it never ends and is fun and satisfying if you get something corrected. Good luck and have fun!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Yes I have found that out today first night woke up to a 1" of snow and no hot water. I called for support and they told me to take it back to the dealer. That didn't happened so out in the cold and found a reset button. I know I should have done that first. I just wanted to see what the tech would say. Again love it and live it. I have to learn as I go and thanks to all who has helped and will in the future. I hope to help others in the future.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billthefirem View Post
Driving home from dealership and the dash controls went out twice and will not move (tach, fuel, MPH) dealership states it is a Freightliner issue. I'm planning our first trip for Monday the 3rd. Any Ideas?
Simple answer, Freightliner.

:welcome:

Welcome and I hope your time here is entertaining and informative.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Tags
dash, journey, chassis, freightliner